CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sreaching files

Hello I'm a video game modder and one thing I have been having trouble with is finding a way to browse files. I have not found an easy way to do that with game on crossover and wonder if their is a way to do so simply?

There are a couple of things you can consider, some of it, oddly, is in the manual.

for instance, in chapter 7 of the manual which you can find here, there is a button which is clearly marked "open c: drive". So that should get you closer to the files.

What isn't in the manual, is that you should consider using a symbolic link. Lets make a few assumptions for this example.

1- Lets assume that you would like your mods in /home/elder/mods

2- Lets assume that your game mods are in /home/elder/.cxoffice/bottle_name/drive_c/Program Files/a_game/mods (notice the dot before cxoffice)

Then...

1- Move your files over to /home/elder/mods

2- Remove the old game mode directory

After, what you would do in a terminal is:

ln -s /home/elder/.cxoffice/bottle_name/drive_c/Program\ Files/a_game/mods /home/elder/mods

A couple of things about the line above:

1- Notice the \ character right after "Program" it's an escape character to use the space right after it. Unix system, like Linux, doesn't allow such stupidity, so you have to use \ to use a space in a file or folder name. Pressing TAB after having typed the first few letters of "Program" should auto-complete the name properly without you having to remember this.

2- There is a space between the two paths, right after the first "mods". In other words, your write [origin path] space [destination path]

3- After this, anything put in the mod folder for your game will actually appear in your /home/mods folder.

4- You could also do this with sub-directories within the mods folder so as to separate your game files per game.

5- Typing "man ln" in the terminal will give the manual in terminal to finish off your education on the matter of symbolic links.

So yeah, RTFM has a foundation of truth, but I do believe in a more thorough explanation as well.

None of what is in the manual shows at all. When I click "See all windows applications" all that shows is just a list of bottles and short cuts as well as what I can only guess is some kind of path but not very helpful. I am using a trail version of this but if that is the case this is very unhelpful if I can't use it to it's full how can I know if it is what I need to do what I need it to do.

If you're on a Linux machine, with the Linux version of Crossover, which I assumed was the case since you're on the Linux forum, you can browse the bottle's files as specified. I don't know what more I could say.

In fact, your comment makes me ask, are you on Mac? Since there is no "See all windows applications" button or menu in the Linux version of Crossover, I'm thinking you posted in the wrong forum. Because you're on the Linux forums, not Mac. This would also explain why I sent you to read the Linux version manual, and that "None of what is in the manual shows at all". Since the interface is different between Linux and Mac, you wouldn't find the Linux manual very useful.

In this case you would have to read the Mac version's manual.

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/bottlesintro

To do the equivalent in mac you would have to use the "bottle action menu" to "open the c: drive" and be able to browse the files. The Link above is just the right page.

EDIT: There's a bunch of tutorials here: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial
and video tutorials here: https://www.codeweavers.com/videos/howto/

And the stuff about symbolic links basically applies to Mac as well. Symbolic links are a very useful feature of all unix-like OS.

Okay let me put another way. When I pay for the full version will it have the feature the manual calms it has because at this point if not then I will have to look else where.

The functionality you have during your trial is identical to what you will get after you have registered. The only difference registration makes is that it prevents the software from ceasing to work after the trial period is over.

Like JP says, though, there should be a way to accomplish what you want. Can you attach a screenshot of the window you are having trouble with? We think we have a way for you to browse files. Maybe it's a misunderstanding about what you are actually trying to do.

There has to be a misunderstanding, because the manual has never been so off that nothing in it shows. And, as a user, I can for sure say that both the trial and the manual are complete, and the manual itself pretty thorough.

Lets just get some basic information so we can figure out how to help you from there.

What OS are we installing on?
OSX? Linux? Solaris?

If Linux, any particular distribution & release?

How was crossover installed?
rpm? deb? zip? bin.sh?

What version of crossover was installed?

I'm pretty sure that he's a Mac guy that got lost on Linux forums, hence the "Nothing in the manual shows" bit. I'm guessing he's just didn't see the word Linux as he was posting...

In any case...

Nothing of what he asks should be distro specific, nor would anything have to change because of how CX was installed. Browsing to the files shouldn't be a mystery to anyone that actually reads the manual at the pages I have specified. I didn't just say RTFM, I actually pointed to the specific page. The only way this should be such a problem is that he's on a Mac, and didn't realize he was asking help for the Linux version.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVDZOSFpNVW14cDQ5TEhzYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9