CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Subscription policy - everyone's fine with this?

Hi guys!

I bought a license...oh I mean subscription wink in December 2014. I figured I would be entitled to all updates on current version 14.x. When reinstalling it now I read the fine-ish print on the subscription policy and really I find it a bit radical. I can surely understand I don't get future 15.x updates, but my $40 should really be good enough through all updates of version 14, which it's obviously not.

Great product, but the subscription policy is frankly a bit dishonest. Are y'all fine with it?

Ya I’ve been doing it for the past ten years it is my way of helping the wine cause.

I am fine with it.

First, if you had bought toward the end of the 14.x cycle, you would eventually have had the first of the 15.x series. Would you have complained then? With that in mind, it can be easily argued that this is a particularly generous licence / subscription model, not found anywhere else (at leas nowhere I'm aware of).

Second, the support period is for a year, and it is yours to read, instead of going on "impressions" of your own design and understanding. Unfortunately, you would have a hard time to make an argument, since this is specified as you buy the first time (but you do need to read),and it is also in the FAQ, which the purchase page refers to.

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/upgrade_policy

So yeah, I and many others are just fine with how things are, there's no dishonesty to be found here.

It's interesting that this has come up. We have had heated... let me make that more dramatic...

HEATED
If I could make this flash... I would.

discussions about our model for distributing CrossOver. I'm not sure how much history you're interested in but because you've brought the issue up, I'll assume you won't mind if I bend your ear a bit.

CrossOver has changed many times over the years. When I started out, it was:

CrossOver Mac Standard  
 CrossOver Mac Pro  
 CrossOver Linux Standard  
 CrossOver Linux Pro

That will date me a little...

Some time passed and we split the product, we added CrossOver Games, so we added two more products:

CrossOver Mac Games  
 CrossOver Linux Games

With the idea that we would update the games product regularly, like every six months. We thought this would bring more interest to CrossOver and more joy.

We were wrong.

So wrong.

It brought heartache and pain. We found that the split only complicated our product. People were confused why CrossOver Games ran the part of Office 2007 they needed better than CrossOver Standard or Pro. They wanted to know why CrossOver Standard and Pro were suddenly ahead in Wine versions while CrossOver Games was stale. All throughout this time, CrossOver was sold on a subscription based model, six months or twelve months... and we released often enough (though sometimes in poor condition) that there was no room for complaint about the subscription model.

Fast forward.

A time came around where we breathed simple. Suddenly, we realized that most of the "Pro" features were not in use and that having six products to chase around was insane. We were going through a user interface re-write. We wanted to make the CrossOver experience better.

As my co-worker very fondly describes it (because I think he hated it so much at that point), "we took CrossOver Games out behind the shed and shot it".

Yes, that's what we did. We tore it out. We ripped it apart and we forced everyone to migrate to CrossOver. Not CrossOver Pro, not CrossOver Standard. CrossOver. Still offered in six and twelve month increments. And, kind of a nightmare to migrate because we removed the Pro and Standard differentiation. We kept the most popular features and made them "advanced" settings in CrossOver.

More recently (still a couple of years ago), we decided that CrossOver's price point could use some work. We began experimenting... pre A/B tests on our site.

We added a price point, a one month period that was basically CrossOver with thirty days to change your mind. This is a standard enough practice, there are plenty of people who want CrossOver and honestly don't care if they get support with it. Not one day of support, let along six months or a year. We provided for that need... and you purchased it.

In our current model, we offer three levels:

CrossOver for 1 month
CrossOver for 6 months
CrossOver for 12 months

Our subscription model clearly states that you get CrossOver as an entitlement. The most recent version. And, that we will not do anything to keep that version from working, forever. So your copy of, say, CrossOver 10.2 would last forever (if that's what you bought).

If three months go by and you purchased a six month subscription, you get CrossOver 10.2.1 on it's release.

However, if seven months pass and we release CrossOver 10.2.1 and your subscription is no longer current, you get no joy.

That's not really dishonest. It only means that you didn't read the fine print...

In truth, every single model we have studied (and we spend significant time on this) has pitfalls like this. If we sell entitlements for CrossOver 14 and all the updates to it, the person that buys CrossOver 14 and 34 days pass and CrossOver 15 is released... they would be giving us a similar complaint.

Our Marketing Mistress, Jana, has long requested that we switch to a CrossOver version with all updates included model. When we tested it and weighed out the pros and cons, we found it was no better than a subscription packet. Much to her dismay.

Now that I've talked your ear off, let me say my parting thought.

We are a small company of about 30 people. We are mostly crunchy granola liberalish techies who enjoy bringing joy to others. We get behind the concept of Open Source and we are very proud to say that we are THE corporate sponsor of The Wine Project. We are also humbled when something like this comes across our forums, tickets, IRC, or any social media outlet. If we released CrossOver 14.2 tomorrow and you wrote in to us to say:

Hey, I purchased CrossOver 14 in December. I only bought the one month subscription but I think it's a little shady that I don't get CrossOver 14.2 with that subscription.

We would make you whole. We would extend the expiration of CrossOver or make you an offer that was minimal in monetary extra to get that update. We are that kind of company. We're really not here to take away your hard earned money or make you feel like we are trying to pull one over on you. We're here to ensure that The Wine Project continues to be funded so people like you and me can keep running our Windows software where we want it; on Linux, on Mac.

Cheers!

And it is this kind of response which is a clear indication that nothing in the licence is wrong. It is also why there is an actually community around a otherwise commercial product.

I've been getting CrossOver for Linux on the 12 month subscription plan since version 12.0.1 at $60 per 12-month period. Quite frankly, I've had magazine subscriptions more expensive than that (I'm looking at you "Linux Pro Magazine") and given much less enjoyment or practical use. I love this program and don't mind supporting it financially.

Huh, it certainly is not $60 per year. At least for the last few years. Sub renewals are half the original price and sometimes even cheaper with discounts.

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/pricing/

I see. I remember the initial cost and just never paid attention to the extension pricing. Good to know, though.

Thanks for the thorough explaination!

Indeed I failed to understand the details of the subscription. I simply thought it was a 30 day professional tech support - which I can do without - not that I had but 30 days of software updates. Also, I would most certainly have read the e-mail ads with the more reasonable 12 month renewals. I should obviously work on my literacy, and meanwhile hope for a sale so I can jump the renewal bandwagon.

Again, great product and keep up the good work!

Best regards.

definitely fine with that model, and have been supporting it since. maybe Cx 8 or thereabouts.

at one stage - had a subscription for both Pro AND Standard - for a whole year - on each version.

and still support it via a "Support Entitlement" .. ..

I don't mind the subscription model, I begun with TransGaming's WineX and when the support for Cedega has came to an end, I switched to CrossOver, so getting the "best" out of wine, you have always needed to spend on a subscription. I haven't paid a full price for all my subscriptions, there comes those discount codes now and then which gives you a good discount and yet another year of CrossOver.
The only thing I may not be that happy about is that I pay for support, which I'm not entitle to as I don't run Ubuntu/Fedora, which many times just gives a reply that there is nothing they can/will do to help.

I do sometimes contribute to some opensource projects or distributions with a small donation, so that we have people who can code more for everyone of us.

Now I'm just waiting for CX15, as CX14 has just been a disaster (game ways) for me, just wish that CrossOver could support multiple versions installed at the same time as Cedega, that way you can always pick the bet version for the application you try to run and not let a handful application dictate which version to use for all programs.

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ1Z4YVNxcENnbkM0YWg3eCIsImdkcHIiOjB9