CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

easily launch associated application from full path to a file.

Hi All,

I have been using crossover successfully for a while now, but I am not sure if/how to do something. I often get emails with the full path to a file from our windows systems and I would like to be able to easily open the application in the associated program. In windows, I can go to windows explorer or run in the start menu an paste in the file as x:\folder\file.txt and it will open in the associated program. Can anyone tell me how to replicate this in crossover/wine?

• I have tried making a launcher for explorer.exe, but I can only put in the folder part of the path there. So I have to paste in x:\folder, then navigate and click on file.txt. If I paste in x:\folder\file.txt, it just sits there.

• I have also tried making a perl script to translate the path, but this is cumbersome to use. ( unixpath 'x:\folder\file.txt' would output /Xdir/folder/file.txt )

Thanks for your help.

Nathan.

I'm not sure I understand your needs exactly, but from what I understand, you could map the drive with winecfg, which you will find in the bottle's control panel as "wine configuration". Within that, you will find the drive tab, and you could map your network drive to the "usual" drive letter your links expect, like x: for example.

My problem here is that don't know how well the file associations will work when going through your email client. I have managed to get Word to open via Thunderbird because of a link in an email and make the association, but the link I make gets modified with escape characters, and it doesn't work all the way.

I'm foolin' around on lunch time, so I can't test this further for now. I hope this helps...

Nathan,

How is drive "X" mapped on your Windows machine? If it is a Samba share, I am not sure this would be possible. If NFS, there may be a way to do this. Here is how one would specify the path to a random executable (if not installed in the bottle):

$ exec "/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine" --bottle "Some_Bottle" --start "/home/batman/Downloads/Random Folder/Something.exe" &

If drive "X" on your Windows machine maps to an NFS share, you can just mount the NFS share on your Linux machine to some path that your user has access to and then point the --start path to that mapped location.

However, be aware that the forums are for Crossover-related questions and not Samba/NFS related questions. You could try looking into getting help for mounting your Samba/NFS share through your OS forums/irc.

Striker

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYXBKRTR4cVhUS0U3Y1R4OCIsImdkcHIiOjB9