CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CX13.2 + Mumble not behaving.

I have CX 13.2 RPM for OpenSUSE 13.1 installed. The problem I am having is that it refuses to see my USB headset which is my only used audio device when Mumble is opened up. I did plug earphones into the onboard sound, and I do get sound from there. When I go into any bottle's winecfg, I do not see the device, just my onboard and video card (HDMI). On Fedora, I did not have this issue, but then again I wasn't on KDE, GNOME3 or Cinnamon rather.

Any tips here?

OpenSUSE 13.1 x64 KDE desktop.

It might not help you, but did you try setting your USB headset as default in pulseaudio? When I want to use my USB headset with any software, I set it as default, then switch back as I want.

I use scripts with lauchers for quick access rather than opening pavucontrol

for my headset as default:

#! /bin/bash

echo "set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-Creative_Technology_Ltd_Sound_Blaster_Tactic_3D__Alpha_00203516-00-Alpha.analog-stereo" | pacmd

and for the soundcard as default:

#! /bin/bash

echo "set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo" | pacmd

I have also set the following in /etc/pulse/default.pa

load-module module-stream-restore restore_device=false so that pulse doesn't insist in sending sound to the last device used with a given software.

To get the sinks name (as seen in the scrips), you can use the command:

pacmd list-sinks

I hope this helps.

Edit: Come to think of it, many complain about KDE's sound management, so this probably won't help. Sorry, but that's all I could think of.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet (been a busy beaver the last few weeks). But I appreciate this new attack vector to nailing this problem. Hopefully this pans out just fine.

And yes, KDE is atrocious for handling audio streams. The package for Cinammon is borked and as soon as its fixed, I am going there. Much less of a hassle. In fact, I haven't touched Mint ever; if it takes much longer for a fixed package, I will just dump openSUSE for Mint.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!
Andrew.

I'm sure that my reply here is information that your'e already aware of, but mumble has a native linux client so it might not be necessary to use it in crossover .. unless maybe you were trying to use the positional audio in a windows game or something :)

I don't think running Mumble in Crossover is the goal here. The problem is that the sound isn't directed towards the USB headset when using something else along with Mumble.

Correct J-P. Although I wonder if being able to run mumble in a wine bottle might be an easier solution :D And yes I know that wont work, because I have tried this ages ago for the in app overlay.

Well I got annoyed as nothing I seemed to do worked, and started digging around in the pulse configuration files, and it is indeed a PA problem with how SuSE handles things. I am particularily not in the mood to diagnose PA and dbus issues. I already had plans to eventually go to Red Hat 7 on this machine, and soon I will be there -- when I get the time to do a proper backup and migrate over.

Thanks for the tips, as this did lead me on to learning quite a bit.

tl;dr:
PA is not handling ALSA properly; dbus isn't working correctly either. 'eff it!

You know, I really liked Suse some time ago. But lately, each time I try it, I find some idiotic decisions or bugs that just make it a non-starter. I tried Factory on an old laptop, since it is now rolling, and the installer decided on its own to make the install on the USB thumbdrive instead of /dev/sda as instructed. Of course, the thumbdrive was the installation media, so go figure where the installer was putting all those uncompressed files. That sort of crap I don't have the time for either.

Hay J-P
I've been using OpenSuse for the past 9 years and have not experienced the issues your talking about. Maybe it's just because I,m so familiar with it and set it up well, just as you do with Arch. All distros have their own quirks and experience and knowledge of a favorite OS is key to getting the most out of Crossover.

So just for giggles i installed Mumble I'm not a gamer and do not have a login to fully test but I did not have any Pulse Audio issues after going into winecfg under tools it was easy to select the input and output devices then opened Mumble and it had all my input and outputs listed and they seem to work. Mumble crashed multiple times I'm guessing do to wine not Pulse Audio.

Yeah, I rattled your cage there didn't I?

But seriously, when you point an installer to /dev/sda, it shouldn't do anything to another device, period. I don't really care if you have ever had any problems, I did, the problem I got was at the very least stupid. And that kind of stupidy, neither you nor I could fix. I don't care how much fidling you're used to doing, a bad installer is a bad installer. Fruther, one of my friends couldn't keep his network card up, and try as I might, it wouldn't work. OpenSuse was the only distro that had that idiotic problem with his card.

And there's the magical symlinks you Suse users need to do to get Crossover working. I need no such magic on Arch! That sort of thing even got Suse off the supported distros list.

This sort of crap happens on noob distros, and there's always some guy that says:" I don't have that problem, maybe you're doing something wrong." I like you Gary, but seriously, if Suse can find a way to give some unfixable trouble to an Arch user, there's something really f'ing wrong going on. I have a soft spot for Suse having used it for a couple of years in the early in my Linux use, but there are some quirks I really don't like. The subject of this thread is the perfect example.

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWtLekU5NG1SWTlSRzdkZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9