CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ubuntu 14.10 - Crossover doesn't start

Crossover doesn't start anymore on Ubuntu 14.10; there's no error message when clicking the Crossover icon.

However, when trying to launch it from the command-line, I get the following error:

~/cxoffice/bin$ ./crossover
/home/rrohde/cxoffice/lib/python/crossover.py:444: DeprecationWarning: Use the new widget gtk.Tooltip
tooltip = gtk.Tooltips()
/home/rrohde/cxoffice/lib/python/crossover.py:445: DeprecationWarning: Use the new widget gtk.Tooltip
tooltip.set_tip(myButton, tooltip_text)
Attempt to unlock mutex that was not locked
Aborted (core dumped)

Considering that Ubuntu 14.10 is coming out next month, this is an alarming error condition.

I'm quite calm as I only use LTS releases. Contact support :)

From my experience with their alpha/beta releases, the packages are in constant limbo up until a few weeks before release. It was not uncommon to have the update manager suggest that I should try partial updates... which is a bad sign :/

We will take a look at this. We definitely want CrossOver to run on Ubuntu 14.10.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

I'm quite calm as I only use LTS releases. Contact support :)

From my experience with their alpha/beta releases, the packages are
in constant limbo up until a few weeks before release. It was not
uncommon to have the update manager suggest that I should try
partial updates... which is a bad sign :/

I noticed that partial updates usually go hand-in-hand with the selection of "Pre-released Updates", (proposed packages), which is not a good thing to select for alphas or betas. :)

Josh DuBois wrote:

We will take a look at this. We definitely want CrossOver to run on
Ubuntu 14.10.

Sounds good.

Luckily my Office 2010 applications work flawlessly using their own icons, however, I am concerned that Crossover doesn't work in order for me wanting to install other Windows-based software until this issue is resolved.

Anyway, looking forward to a solution soon.

I had that happen with the stock settings, but like I said, only during the alphas and betas. 14.04 was such a beast, for example.

I did a fresh install on Xubuntu 14.04 and crossover does not show in the menu. On 14.10 it didn't load at all. I have been trying to track this down, right I have it running but with a direct link to the command to launch it since I can not get it in the menu on install. I will try to let you all know what I find. This is 64bit Xubuntu 14.04 and 14.10.

Weird, when I did my round of testing Xfce and in particular Xubuntu was one of the desktops that had no issues showing up the menu after installing the deb package. Did it show up after log out and log in?

No it did not. Fresh install 64bit, and on 14.10 it will not launch. It will run games and apps though, you just can not launch crossover to get the gui.

As it stands now, Ubuntu 14.10 has made a change which breaks our threading code in pygtk. CrossOver 14, currently in beta and due out soon, will have a fix for this. Unless Ubuntu changes something before they release 14.10, unfortunately CrossOver 13 will not work on 14.10.

I was talking about Xubuntu 14.04... should have mentioned it...

If you already have it installed you can run your apps you just can not use the gui....... in 14.10 in 14.04 you can use the gui but it does not show up in the menu. I have Crossover 14, I have not installed it again on 14.10. I will and I will let you know the results.

Freejack wrote:

If you already have it installed you can run your apps you just can
not use the gui....... in 14.10 in 14.04 you can use the gui but it
does not show up in the menu. I have Crossover 14, I have not
installed it again on 14.10. I will and I will let you know the
results.

Well, the fix isn't in CrossOver 14 beta1, but will be in CrossOver 14 beta2 ...

So I wouldn't count on it working quite yet.

Same result, I can run the apps and games just no gui. Appears they have removed python:i386 from dependancies and if you try to install it, it wants to remove almost everything you have installed. Got to love dependancy linking.

Will there be a public beta. I am on 14.10, but did a fresh install.

There isn't a public beta and to my recollection there have not been any. Write to ninjas@codeweavers.com and maybe they can hook you up with a beta build.

As of today (Thu Oct 9, 2014), Crossover 13.2.0 does launch again on Ubuntu 14.10.

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUXN4dVFmTWQ1Mm1teDk0aCIsImdkcHIiOjB9