CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The ONE PROGRAM I want to run on Linux that I cannot. Help, please.

Howdy,
I have one program (MovieOrganizer 2.86.which is a free Windows based program which I cannot seem to get to run on my Linux Mint Debian Edition. I've tried getting support from Codeweavers twice. They tell me it will run, but I suppose I'm too dumb to make it work. I'm more thn willing to buy the program (previously I had the trial subscription) if I can get this one program to run. I am running a dual boot with LMDE and Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy 700-216 computer with 12 Gigs of Ram, a 2 TiB HDD, and an AMD A10 quad-core accelerated processor. I'm only computer "semi-literate,' so please, if you an help, keep it simple for old stupid here (the KISS principle).
I've got the program on Windows and there is no way I am willing to try to find a Linux program to move those.mvo files indexing my 600+ dvd movies, so I'm stuck with Windows part time until I can find a way to put this program onto LMDE.
Here's what I've goten from Codeweavers: Maybe someone can help me in going from here, please. I need a better (or more detailed) step by step set of directions.

[b]From support at Codeavers: As of yet I've only had time to check out MovieOrganizer (testing requests for unsupported apps are given a lower priority than issues with supported apps), but I can get it to successfully run with the addition of a few extra packages and a manual launcher creation. Here's how:

• first, install MovieOrganizer from the MovieOrganizerInstall.exe file as per the instructions, here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/unsupported_install_file

• when that's complete, follow the directions at this page to install the "Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 Runtime" and "Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 Service Pack 1" packages into that same bottle:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/unsupported_deps

Both of these packages are available in the "Runtime Support Components" section of the install software menu. Again, be sure that you're installing them into the bottle that contains Movie Organizer, otherwise they won't help.

Now, on my installation the creation of the launcher icon was unsuccessful, so the last step is to create a launcher icon as per the instructions, here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/create_launcher

Thanks for any assistance.
tlcmd
aka Dick

[/b]

Is this the program you're trying to run?

http://movieorganizer.se/download.php

Update: Got it running by using the above instructions:

There is now a crosstie for this application:

Movie Organizer

Click on the big green button, load it with CrossOver and follow the prompts. Once it's installed, if you see the fields behave weirdly (like they gain and lose focus all the time) just disable the tooltips from the Options menu of Movie Organizer.

Got it running too. The Crosstie is the best idea, because I wouldn't know how to make the above instructions clearer.

Thanks to both of you for your instructions. That is the MovieOrganizer program I need to put onto linux and then move the .mvo files from Windows *.1 into it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty dense. I am 74 year old codger who is not the sharpest knife in the Linux drawer. I am a medical doctor so I do have some smarts. I guess the "Crosstie" you are mentioning is confusing me. Before I download another trial of Crossover, could you please give me a fairly simple explanation of it. I am assuming I'll find it when I download Crossover. . Then, I'll give her another shot.

Thanks very much.
Harmmmoniously (I'm a barbershop singer), BTW, if you like a capella music, try All Rise by the Voices of Lee on youtube. This was performed at our Barbershop Harmony Society's 2002 International Convention.
tlcmd aka Dick

Umm the file (the crosstie I mention) is basically a "recipe" that tells CrossOver what it needs to install. I'm not familiar with how Mint Debian Edition does things but when you click on the big green button found on the page I linked to, you'll be offered a file to download. I'm not sure if the browser will offer to open it with CrossOver (it should though). If you did not get the option to open the file with CrossOver, then you should find that option when you right-click on the file.

Of course, all of the above is true if CrossOver is installed on your computer.

I don't understand why you'd need to download another trial, your account is created today... you should be good for another 14 days. CrossOver may nag you to buy, but you don't have to until the trial expires.

I do not now have Crossover, and my wife is planning big doings for this weekend and so I need to reload the 14 day trial and try to install the program when I have the uninterrupted time. Probably ear;y next week. I'll update you as to my results and maybe have to ask a question or two.
Thanks,
tlcmd aka Dick

In any case, there are two possible solutions:

1) I could make a file with the previous instructions, with pictures. In Quebec, an inept or clumsy person, or less than sharp knife, is often called a "sans-dessin", litterally meaning "without drawings". So I guess you can always correct things with drawings or pictures! (no offense meant, just poking fun).

2) I could make an archive of the bottle and send it to you somehow, but then you wouldn't learn anything.

Keep us posted.

Thank all of you who responded to my question about running MovieOrganizer on Linux Mint Debian Edition using Crossover. I finally had time to be alone and undisturbed and was able to install and run MovieOrganizer 2.8.6 on LMDE.
I'm overjoyed!! No more Windows!!!

Thanks again to all of y'all on this forum as well as the folks at Codeweavers who helped tutor this 74 year old coot through the process.

Harmmmmmmmmoniously, (Yes, I'm a barbershop singer),
tlcmd

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV2RFdlhnQzd1UnVHa1JIeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9