CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing Crossover in Elementary OS

Did a google search on this and got nothing. Has anyone successfully installed Crossover in ElementaryOS Freya? I know EOS doesn't play well with multi-monitors, but has anyone else had any success with this?

haven't tried it here, but it's based on debian / ubuntu,

• so it should work with the Cx deb installer.

As for multi-monitor, I haven't had too much trouble with running Windows software on my Arch box. I have 4 screens and I uses Xinerama, just so you know.

Pierre wrote:

haven't tried it here, but it's based on debian / ubuntu,

• so it should work with the Cx deb installer.

This would be my number 1 solution, however is that doesn't work (since EOS is based on old Ubuntu) you may also download the shell installer, and run ./install-crossover-14.0.3.bin. If you complains about permissions first do chmod +x install-crossover-14.0.3.sh.

I can not get it launch at all. Even in terminal. This is a deal breaker for me. Even in Freya.

Timmy Carnes wrote:

I can not get it launch at all. Even in terminal. This is a deal
breaker for me. Even in Freya.

Well, you're not very explicit. Mind giving us some indication of your terminal's output? If I can run it on Arch, I see no reason elementary can't.

Make sure you have the proper 32blit libraries, in particular if you're running a 64bit OS. Launching cxdiag (either from /opt/cxoffice/bin or ~/cxoffice/bin) will spit out what is missing. Some libraries can be ignored, and the description printed out by cxdiag should make that clear enough. Again, any library listed requires the 32bit version of it.

Sup guys,

back in action.

I installed Crossover 14.1.0 using the .deb for Ubuntu 12.10 and higher on Elementary OS Freya 64-bit (which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). It's a fresh installation of both; Freya and Crossover.

The installation itself went fine and launching Crossover afterwards works just fine as well. However, there is one issue that works automated on Ubuntu, but doesn't on EOS Freya:

^ On Freya, Crossover doesn't automatically install the required/missing Unix packages, even after an app has been installed and launched. In this case I used Steam to test it. It works just fine on Ubuntu 14.04.2 64-bit though. Everything else seems to be working as expected. Also - be sure to relog or reboot your machine after Crossover has been installed. Only then will the Slingshot menus for Crossover be created:

^ This also happens on Ubuntu btw. A notification telling the user to relog or reboot after the installation has finished would be nice.

Last but not least: I am using Elementary OS Freya on a multi-monitor setup (two screens) and both Crossover and EOS work great and as expected. It was a matter of plug and play.

Cheers,
Alex

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

My question is... how did you resolve the dependency issue in Elementary OS Freya?

I ask, because that may be part of the key to solving it. We'd want to know how it presents itself to CrossOver (does it look like Ubuntu or give us another name, can we tell it it's an alias of Ubuntu like we do with Mint...).

And, we'd want to know what package manager it is using out of the box (it would seem that it is using gdebi?).

Then, it's a matter of updating our logic to include the new-to-us Linux distribution. It's not one we regularly test with but if it's as close to Ubuntu as it states, fixing it could be simple.

Hey Caron,

I'll retest the entire installation process on Elementary OS Freya again and report back to you guys asap. I have to go to work right now, but I will be testing this stuff when I get back home in a few hours (probably past midnight).

How can I check how EOS presents itself to Crossover and how can I check which package manager it is using?

From what I can tell EOS Freya is just using the original Ubuntu Software Center:

^ EOS doesn't seem to come with other software management systems preinstalled, such as the Synaptic Package Manager and the gDebi Installer. Using the .deb that is meant for Ubuntu 12.10+ worked just fine, no errors popped up and nothing had be removed before installing Crossover. I mention this because trying to install vanilla Wine results in the Software Center trying to remove some critical/important packages or files. EOS is still a young project with huge potential and good taste though - it's already skyrocketed into the top ten distros on distrowatch.com.

About the missing libs: So far I have just been installing them one by one either via terminal or via the Ubuntu Software Center. I'll post a list of the packages that Elementary OS Freya 64-bit is missing after a fully updated + fresh installation tonight.

Cheers,
Alex

That is because I have no idea how to do anything other than install it and install programs in it. I never had a problem with my Mint box or Ubuntu. or Debian for that matter. Since elementary OS is Debian based also, I thought I would be good to go. If it does not launch by icon or terminal, I am lost. 'Launching cxdiag' might as well be Latin, without the steps needed explained to carry it out. I am just an average guy, no tech background at all. Started on Ubuntu 6.06. Reading and using copy and paste has gotten me this far. Sorry , but I just do not know enough yet.

Timmy Carnes wrote:

Sorry , but I just do not know enough yet.

That's ok, it's just that when a guy goes through the trouble of launching software with a terminal, there's an assumption there's some comfort with more technical stuff.

Assuming you used deb package, and that the installation itself did not fail, you can just type (or paste) the following in a terminal:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

You should see a number of lines resembling "[MissingLibGphoto2]". That is what will get things going. Not all listed libraries are needed all the time. For instance, the LibCapie20 is generally useless for most people.

Hello there again,

in addition to my previous post - these are the libs that Crossover is missing after a fresh installation of Crossover 14.1.1 on EOS Freya 64-bit (up to date):

virtualbox@virtualbox-VirtualBox:~$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibFontconfig]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libfontconfig.so.1 library"
"Description"="Makes it possible to find and use the system's TrueType fonts. This is strongly recommended for office-type applications."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.6 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibGstapp]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgstapp-0.10.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and multimedia applications."

[MissingLibGstreamer]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and multimedia applications."

[MissingLibLber]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit liblber-2.4.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access LDAP servers."

[MissingLibLdap_r]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libldap_r-2.4.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access LDAP servers."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.6 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[MissingLibV4l1]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libv4l1.so.0 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access video devices."

[MissingLibXcomposite]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXcomposite.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed for most CAD-like applications and some games."

[MissingLibXinerama]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXinerama.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed if your display spans multiple screens. If your computer has a single screen then you don't need it."

[MissingLibXml2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxml2.so.2 library"
"Description"="This library makes it possible for Windows applications read and write XML files."

[MissingLibXslt]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxslt.so.1 library"
"Description"="This library lets Windows applications perform queries and transformations on XML files."

[MissingLibCrypto]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcrypto.so library"
"Description"="This library provides support for secure Internet communication."

[MissingLibSsl]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libssl.so library"
"Description"="This library provides support for secure Internet communication."

[MissingLibNss_mdns]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libnss_mdns.so.2 library"
"Description"="This library is needed for network and Internet access. Installing it is strongly recommended."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="VMware, Inc."

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="3.0 Mesa 10.3.2"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)"

virtualbox@virtualbox-VirtualBox:~$ 

And last but not least; how can I check how EOS presents itself to Crossover?

Cheers,
Alex

Just ran through an install on EOS Freya amd64 for funsies.

Install:

dpkg -i ./crossover_14.1.1-1.deb

aptitude -f install libc6:i386 libice6:i386 libsm6:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxi6:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libpng12-0:i386 libcups2:i386 liblcms2-2:i386 libasound2:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libnss-mdns:i386

Recommended/Suggested:

aptitude install libcapi20-3:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libgphoto2-6:i386 libgsm1:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libmpg123-0:i386 libopenal1:i386 libsane:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxml2:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386

Missing:
libtiff4 - would be awesome if we could start linking against libtiff5

ClusterF**k of dependency problems:
libOSMesa - probably because EOS backported utopic packages

Registering:
gksu is not installed by default on default EOS install. You should install it if you want a nice pretty window to prompt you for your password to run commands as root.

the installer ran through and handled IE7 well enough, IE7 starts as well.

crossover was tossing some errors,
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

trying to install gnome-keyring:i386 looked like a world of pain, just like libOSMesa. the application seems to run fine without it thou.

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag 
[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.6 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="VMware, Inc."

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="3.0 Mesa 10.3.2"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)"

Sup Caron,

were you guys able to use the data we posted to fix the issues with EleOS? It should be a distro close to Ubuntu, like Mint. :)

I'm using EleOS on one of my machines as primary OS. It really does have a beautiful touch to it... seeeexy!

Cheers,
Alex

Alexander Tornow wrote:

Sup Caron,

were you guys able to use the data we posted to fix the issues with
EleOS? It should be a distro close to Ubuntu, like Mint. :)

I'm using EleOS on one of my machines as primary OS. It really does
have a beautiful touch to it... seeeexy!

Cheers,
Alex

I'm sorry, I've let this slip. There is plenty of good information here. Let me spend a little time reading back through this and see what I can fix now and in the future.

I have been pushing it around in a VM all morning.

I'm about to send a proposal for adding Elementary OS into our detection scheme for Ubuntu. This would mean it would essentially detect and install packages according to the Ubuntu names (and I've tested them, they work).

In the interim, I have created a FAQ page for Elementary OS:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/Elementary

I know it isn't perfect. If there is anything you would like me to add, please let me know.

Hey Caron,

woot... awesome! Thank you so much! I'll take a look at the FAQ and I am also be willing to test anything if needed - just let me know. 😊

Cheers,
Alex

Hey there Caron,

I just tested installing Crossover 14.1.3-1 on a fresh but updated installation of eOS Freya 64-bit (installed natively on my laptop). I followed the steps mentioned in the FAQ. Nice work btw!

After installing Crossover, I tried to use the following commands to install the missing packages:

sudo apt-get install libnss-mdns:i386 libssl0.9.8:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxml2:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libsane:i386 libopenal1:i386 libmpg123-0:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 libgsm1:i386 libgphoto2-6:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libcapi20-3:i386 libxinerama1:i386

This is the terminal output that I get after copy and pasting that command:

alex@alex-SATELLITE-L750:~$ sudo apt-get install libnss-mdns:i386 libssl0.9.8:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxml2:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libsane:i386 libopenal1:i386 libmpg123-0:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 libgsm1:i386 libgphoto2-6:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libcapi20-3:i386 libxinerama1:i386
[sudo] password for alex: 
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:
  gtk3-engines-unico libatkmm-1.6-1 libcairomm-1.0-1 libglibmm-2.4-1c2a
  libgrip0 libpangomm-1.4-1 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libtimezonemap1
  linux-headers-generic-lts-utopic linux-image-generic-lts-utopic sbsigntool
Verwenden Sie »apt-get autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.
Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
  libasn1-8-heimdal:i386 libasyncns0:i386 libdb5.3:i386 libexif12:i386
  libflac8:i386 libgd3:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libgphoto2-port10:i386
  libgssapi3-heimdal:i386 libhcrypto4-heimdal:i386 libheimbase1-heimdal:i386
  libheimntlm0-heimdal:i386 libhx509-5-heimdal:i386 libieee1284-3:i386
  libjbig0:i386 libjpeg-turbo8:i386 libjpeg8:i386 libjson-c2:i386
  libkrb5-26-heimdal:i386 libltdl7:i386 liblzma5:i386 libogg0:i386
  liborc-0.4-0:i386 libpcre3:i386 libpulse0:i386 libroken18-heimdal:i386
  libsasl2-2:i386 libsasl2-modules:i386 libsasl2-modules-db:i386
  libselinux1:i386 libsndfile1:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386 libssl1.0.0
  libssl1.0.0:i386 libtiff5:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libv4lconvert0:i386
  libvorbis0a:i386 libvorbisenc2:i386 libvpx1:i386 libwind0-heimdal:i386
  libwrap0:i386 libxpm4:i386 xdg-user-dirs:i386
Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
  isdnutils-doc:i386 libgd-tools:i386 gphoto2:i386 gtkam:i386
  libvisual-0.4-plugins:i386 gstreamer-codec-install:i386
  gnome-codec-install:i386 gstreamer0.10-tools:i386
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:i386 avahi-autoipd:i386 zeroconf:i386
  libportaudio2:i386 libroar-compat2:i386 pulseaudio:i386 hplip:i386 hpoj:i386
  libsane-extras:i386 libsasl2-modules-otp:i386 libsasl2-modules-ldap:i386
  libsasl2-modules-sql:i386 libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit:i386
  libsasl2-modules-gssapi-heimdal:i386
Empfohlene Pakete:
  xml-core:i386
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
  xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
  libasn1-8-heimdal:i386 libasyncns0:i386 libcapi20-3:i386 libdb5.3:i386
  libexif12:i386 libflac8:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libgd3:i386
  libglib2.0-0:i386 libgphoto2-6:i386 libgphoto2-port10:i386 libgsm1:i386
  libgssapi3-heimdal:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386
  libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libhcrypto4-heimdal:i386 libheimbase1-heimdal:i386
  libheimntlm0-heimdal:i386 libhx509-5-heimdal:i386 libieee1284-3:i386
  libjbig0:i386 libjpeg-turbo8:i386 libjpeg8:i386 libjson-c2:i386
  libkrb5-26-heimdal:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libltdl7:i386 liblzma5:i386
  libmpg123-0:i386 libnss-mdns:i386 libogg0:i386 libopenal1:i386
  liborc-0.4-0:i386 libpcre3:i386 libpulse0:i386 libroken18-heimdal:i386
  libsane:i386 libsasl2-2:i386 libsasl2-modules:i386 libsasl2-modules-db:i386
  libselinux1:i386 libsndfile1:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386 libssl0.9.8:i386
  libssl1.0.0:i386 libtiff5:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libv4l-0:i386
  libv4lconvert0:i386 libvorbis0a:i386 libvorbisenc2:i386 libvpx1:i386
  libwind0-heimdal:i386 libwrap0:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libxinerama1:i386
  libxml2:i386 libxpm4:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 xdg-user-dirs:i386
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
  libssl1.0.0
1 aktualisiert, 60 neu installiert, 2 zu entfernen und 22 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen 14,0 MB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
Nach dieser Operation werden 46,9 MB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Möchten Sie fortfahren? [J/n] 

So what worries me here is that it wants to remove two packages: xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk

I have seen this kind of behavior when trying to install vanilla Wine, PoL and Skype via the USC in eOS Freya. http://www.reddit.com/r/elementaryos/comments/2vif13/psa_do_not_install_wine_it_breaks_freya/

My question now is:

• What are these two packages for?
  • Does it want to remove the 64- or 32-bit version of the packages? I ask because if you look further down the list, xdg-user-dirs:i386 wants to be installed.
  • Can I safely continue with the installation and removal of the two packages at this point, without breaking anything?

Cheers,
Alex

Alexander Tornow wrote:

Hey there Caron,

I just tested installing Crossover 14.1.3-1 on a fresh but updated
installation of eOS Freya 64-bit (installed natively on my laptop).
I followed the steps mentioned in the FAQ. Nice work btw!

After installing Crossover, I tried to use the following commands to
install the missing packages:

snip

My question now is:

• What are these two packages for?
  • Does it want to remove the 64- or 32-bit version of the packages?
    I ask because if you look further down the list, xdg-user-dirs:i386
    wants to be installed.
  • Can I safely continue with the installation and removal of the two
    packages at this point, without breaking anything?

Cheers,
Alex

You're welcome, I was happy to do it!

Um, eww. No, I would not continue. There must be a chain of dependencies that is making that happen. The packages are used for localization of file names. My suspicion is that I would not have run into this because I'm running on an English locale/install. It is removing the 64 bit version of those packages to add the 32bit version... so again, I'm lead to believe it's part of a chain of dependencies; as in, we do not depend on those libraries directly but one of the other libraries we depend on could depend on them if installed in another locale.

I will investigate this further.

Sup Caron,

awesome!

Btw, I tested installing the packages manually via terminal one by one and it seems that the packages that are causing the issue are: libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386

When trying to install either one of the two, Elementary wants to remove the two packages mentioned earlier. Every other package can be installed - no problem.

Cheers,
Alex

Did you have the same issue with Ubuntu proper? Because if you did not, I would ask the eOS guys a few questions :)

Sup mate,

nope I didn't experience any of this in Ubuntu. :) I asked eOS via Google+ and this is the respond I got back then: https://plus.google.com/communities/104613975513761463450/s/xdg-user-dirs

Peter Van Bruystegem on Google+ recommends the following for Wine:

[i]"just do the following after you installed Wine and you'll be Fine :)
sudo apt-get install xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk

PS: never use Software Center for Wine, always Terminal 😉
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7
sudo apt-get install nvidia-libopencpl1-331 xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk"[/i]

A few other ppl asked the same question btw... but no official answer or ETA for a fix yet. The workaround above is the only thing I can find. Haven't been able to try it on my stable system though. I'll try it via Virtualbox tonight and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Alex

1 to 22 of 22

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidnhtc05TR2hndjRBNWJ6ciIsImdkcHIiOjB9