CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Debian 8 is out

Hello Support

Is there any ETA to support it?

thnx.

Installed Debian 8 and loaded Crossover Linux 14.1.1 into just fine, so I'm calling Debian 8 supported. Same identical process installing Crossover Linux in Deb 8 as it was in Deb 7.

Andrew Balfour wrote:

Installed Debian 8 and loaded Crossover Linux 14.1.1 into just fine,
so I'm calling Debian 8 supported. Same identical process installing
Crossover Linux in Deb 8 as it was in Deb 7.

Stop it because it isn't supported

another pain is x64 distro

Aren't those packages available in Debian 8?

this is outdated for Debian 8 https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/missinglibgnutls

these are not on the table libgnutls26 (or libgnutls13)

But CrossOver does suggest the correct libgnutls package... even if the documentation you point to is out of date

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

But CrossOver does suggest the correct libgnutls package... even if
the documentation you point to is out of date

Yes it is but

sudo apt-get install libgnutls-deb0-28:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libgnutls-deb0-28 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

it can't to see the lib and ask for it

It has the same fix as Ubuntu Vivid:
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/Ubuntu/VividVervet

got it! thnx!

and what is the best way to install it on x64 Debian 8 ? it asks a lot of libs should be installed.

please assist.

Just use the .deb file and let CrossOver install the packages when it asks.

No. It still asks for a lot of dependencies after

sudo gdebi crossover_14.1.3-1.deb

All of them was resolved manually except this one:

libgl1-mesa-glx:i386

I'm the Nvidia user.

thanx.

As far as I am aware, crossover depends on libglu1-mesa, which has a dependency on virtual package libgl1, which can be provided by libgl1-mesa-glx(:i386), libgl1-mesa-swx11(:i386), libgl1-nvidia-glx(libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386), libgl1-fglrx-glx(libgl1-fglrx-glx-i386), or any combination of legacy libgl1 fglrx or nvidia drivers. If you already have one of these installed via debian's provided packages, then the dependency should already be auto-resolved. If you installed via vendor or 3rd party sources, then I dunno what to tell you other than stop that.
If you are using the nouveau, then you want the libgl1-mesa-glx package.

William Overstreet wrote:

then the dependency should already be auto-resolved

No, it doesn't

serg garizont wrote:

then the dependency should already be auto-resolved

No, it doesn't

If [condition], then [result]
Do you already have one of the libgl1 libraries installed? How did you install it? Is the system a fresh install or an upgrade?

serg garizont wrote:

then the dependency should already be

auto-resolved

No, it doesn't

If [condition], then [result]
Do you already have one of the libgl1 libraries installed? How did
you install it? Is the system a fresh install or an upgrade?

Debian 8 x64 was installed as fresh system

Building dependency tree       
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 is already the newest version.

Anything else?

Well, I ran through a debian 8 install, tasksel desktop w/ mate. installed aptitude & gdebi.

Tried to install crossover 14.1.3 deb using gdebi, read the message from gdebi's description of crossover and enabled the i386 architecture & updated the sources. dpkg --add-architecture i386; aptitude update; Ran gdebi with the crossover.deb file again, gdebi found and installed everything it was supposed to without error. I checked with /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag, only 'required' package missing after install was libnss-mdns:i386, which is in the repo, it just is not listed as a required dependency for the package.

# dpkg -I crossover_14.1.3-1.deb 
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 66953590 bytes: control archive=50034 bytes.
    1576 bytes,    22 lines      control              
  149814 bytes,  1914 lines      md5sums              
    3161 bytes,   126 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
    1865 bytes,    82 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
    2317 bytes,   104 lines   *  preinst              #!/bin/sh
    1484 bytes,    68 lines   *  prerm                #!/bin/sh
 Package: crossover
 Version: 14.1.3-1
 Architecture: i386
 Maintainer: CrossOver Packager <info@codeweavers.com>
 Installed-Size: 185848
 Pre-Depends: multiarch-support, dpkg (>= 1.16.5)
 Depends: libc6 (>= 2.11), libice6 | xlibs, libsm6 | xlibs, libx11-6 | xlibs, libxext6 | xlibs, libxi6, libfreetype6, libpng12-0, libz1, libcups2, liblcms2-2, libasound2, libglu1-mesa, libxcursor1, libxrandr2
 Recommends: libnss-mdns | lib32nss-mdns:amd64, perl5-base:any | perl5-base:amd64 | perl5-base, perl-modules:any | perl-modules:amd64 | perl-modules, python:any (<< 3.0) | python:amd64 (<< 3.0) | python (<< 3.0), python-gtk2:any | python-gtk2:amd64 | python-gtk2, desktop-file-utils | desktop-file-utils:amd64
 Conflicts: cxoffice5
 Replaces: crossover-pro, crossover-pro-canonical-demo, crossover-pro-demo, crossover-standard, crossover-standard-canonical-demo, crossover-standard-demo, ia32-crossover, ia32-crossover-pro, ia32-crossover-pro-canonical-demo, ia32-crossover-pro-demo, ia32-crossover-standard, ia32-crossover-standard-canonical-demo, ia32-crossover-standard-demo
 Provides: cxoffice5
 Section: non-free/otherosfs
 Priority: extra
 Multi-Arch: foreign
 Homepage: http://www.codeweavers.com
 Description: Run Windows applications like MS Office
  On 64-bit flavors of Debian and some Ubuntu variants, first open a terminal and
  run 'sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 ; sudo apt-get update'.
  CrossOver Linux makes it possible to run Windows productivity applications
  such as Microsoft Office, and Quicken, and also lets you play Windows games
  like Skyrim and World of Warcraft.

Used aptitude to install all of the recommended & suggested deps, the only dependency which I cannot seem to find is libtiff.so.4.

libcapi20-3:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libgphoto2-6:i386 libgsm1:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libmpg123-0:i386 libopenal1:i386 libsane:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxml2:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 libosmesa6:i386

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag 
[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="VMware, Inc."

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="3.0 Mesa 10.3.2"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)"

I am curious as to what you did or forgot to do.

:~$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag 
[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[MissingLibGL]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libGL.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides hardware-accelerated Direct3D and OpenGL support. This is used for games, but also for CAD applications."

Is libglu1-mesa installed? Kinda sounds like there might be something else wrong. Was crossover installed with the .deb package, or the self extracting .bin file?

$ find /usr -name libGL.so\* | xargs dpkg -S 
libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2.0
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2.0
$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
$ grep . /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:# Multiarch support
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/lib/i386-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/lib/i586-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/i586-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf:# libc default configuration
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf:/usr/local/lib
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:# Multiarch support
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
$ /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libGL.so
    libGL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
    libGL.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1

The output of your commands above should be similar.

Is libglu1-mesa installed? Kinda sounds like there might be
something else wrong. Was crossover installed with the .deb package,
or the self extracting .bin file?

it was installed as *.deb using gdebi

sudo find /usr -name libGL.so\* | xargs dpkg -S

diversion by glx-diversions from: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2.0
diversion by glx-diversions to: /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2.0
diversion by glx-diversions from: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
diversion by glx-diversions to: /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
diversion by glx-diversions from: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2.0
diversion by glx-diversions to: /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.2.0
diversion by glx-diversions from: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
diversion by glx-diversions to: /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
diversion by glx-diversions from: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
diversion by glx-diversions to: /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/current/libGL.so.340.65
libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/current/libGL.so.1
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/libGL.so.1
$ sudo grep . /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/fakeroot-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfakeroot
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:# Multiarch support
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/lib/i386-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/lib/i586-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/i586-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf:# libc default configuration
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf:/usr/local/lib
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:# Multiarch support
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
$ sudo /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libGL.so
    libGL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
$ sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386
Building dependency tree       
libglu1-mesa:i386 is already the newest version.
libglu1-mesa:i386 set to manually installed.

Ok, so you are actually using the nvidia driver, not the nouveau driver. The reason it cannot find the libGL library is because you have not installed the 32bit nvidia libGL library.

Install libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386. It will probably conflict with the mesa glx lib, remove it if it does.

Ok, so you are actually using the nvidia driver, not the nouveau
driver. The reason it cannot find the libGL library is because you
have not installed the 32bit nvidia libGL library.

Install libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386. It will probably conflict with the
mesa glx lib, remove it if it does.

Yes. It solves the issue. Thnx.

So it should be patched by Codeweavers Team. imho

imo, fixing this would be difficult as you would need to plan for every possible alternative configuration. I would say letting the package manger and the user handle it, as it is currently done, would be the better solution. A wiki page would be nice, but trying to write out a dependency list which would cover every possible configuration would be a nightmare on a good day.

Part of being able to choose in linux is being able to support your choice.

serg garizont wrote:

I would agree with William. There is no patch needed here, as this is more of a distro/user specific problem. I have watched this thread in silence, and I'm always amazed that users of Debian, or any other "stable" release distros, have more trouble than me while I'm running friggin' Arch. And then, if for some reason they have a problem, it is not them or their distro, it's Crossover's fault and it must get patched.

serg garizont wrote:

Yes. It solves the issue. Thnx.

Unfortunately, if we looked for your specific case in our library management, we would break functionality for Debian 8 users running anything but Nvidia drivers.

We provide the basics, enough to point someone in the right direction. If they have added third party libraries or altered their system in some strange way, I don't know that we could properly account for that.
[i]
Granted, installing Nvidia drivers is likely the most common way for a person to use third party libraries.[/i]

For this case, we provide a page on our wiki that addresses the libraries you would need. It is up to date for Debian 8 though it could now use the addition of Ubuntu 15.04. That page is here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/MissingLibGL

All other pages that would come up when having library problems of this nature will reference back to the LibGL page. I'm not sure there's much more we could add that would benefit the most people. Linux is customizable for a reason... this also means people who customize their systems need to be aware of the pitfalls of that customization. We'll help, we'll provide as much as we can, but getting CrossOver to completely do the work for the user in this situation would have dire affects on others and is a metric tonne of additional development work.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Caron Wills wrote:

Unfortunately, if we looked for your specific case in our library
management, we would break functionality for Debian 8 users running
anything but Nvidia drivers.

what do you mean ?

the most of Linux users are using Nvidia cards and it's not the normal to have this issue for a fresh system

so I disagree.

serg garizont wrote:

the most of Linux users are using Nvidia cards

I'll tell you what she means. It means that if one targets users, irrespective of the video card they are using, they will target more users than if targeting only Nvidia users. And frankly, when you consider there is a large proportion of computers with Intel cards, a non-negligible number of AMD/ATI cards, Nvidia might have majority in percentage by maker, but I doubt they beat both Intel and AMD together. Further, since this product is at least partly aimed at people that switch from Windows to either Mac or Linux, you can't really consider only the Linux hardware landscape. That is, of course, not withstanding the sheer impossibility of considering all the configurations of all distros, and have an installation ready for any and all situations.

The problem I perceive here is mostly a difficulty in admitting that you didn't know everything you needed to know. I see no shame in that, but you are clearly trying to place blame elsewhere than yourself. There is no "blame" at all for anyone to carry, but the one you are insisting exists. Again, if I can have this software running on a distro like Arch, without any problem, I fail to see how running it on Debian should be any problem for anyone.

Simard
1) Don't shame. It does nothing productive.

2) Archlinux has a steeper learning curve than other distributions and thus requires more knowledge and effort from the user. Kind of like any tool, if you don't learn about all the features, you won't know the what all it can actually do. That and if you are just using the aur package, you are just using something that someone else scripted, built, and sorta kinda tested maybe.

garizont
1) There are many different makes of graphics cards. Too many to script and prepare for. while you may prefer computers with Nvidia graphics cards, I have a preference for AMD GPUs myself due to the raedon driver having decent support for 3D applications. I have a friend who swears by Intel GPUs. While those make up the big 3, there are still at least a dozen other GPUs which are still well supported by linux. This is why package managers do things like virtual packages and such. It allows for interchangeability without having to explicitly depend on every option.

2) To me, your terse responses came off as slightly rude and kind of arrogant. You may want to work on that. You don't need to write 500 word essay responses, but something more than just grunts is helpful.

wow. :)

a lot of words.

:)

Like I said, there is no shame in not knowing everything, hell, I still don't know everything about Linux. I actually wrote that there is no shame, so don't lend me motives I don't have. But Garizont definitely tries to place blame elsewhere than his own backyard, and THAT isn't productive. I was merely stating the obvious.

As for your second point, I use the bin file for Crossover. I have also wrote my own PKGBUILD files for a number of non-existent packages I wanted. I understand that Arch is for those that do RTFM, and consequently will know more than others. But I also appreciate Ubuntu for those that don't want, or don't care, or don't have the time to RTFM. My point was that if Crossover can be made to run on a rolling distro with the KISS principle, how hard can it be to have it run on Debian.

That being said, Debian is a lot easier than Arch, and on the supported distributions list. I see no valid reasons for Garizont's complaints, and his tone irked me, so I still stand behind what I wrote.

1 to 34 of 34

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ3lYTkx2VmJaODY4UkU0eCIsImdkcHIiOjB9