CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Going nuts trying to install Crossover 14.1 on Netrunner 16 (Kubuntu 15.04 based) 64-bit

To make a long story short, I am missing only this dependency:

lib32nss-mdns

If I try to install that dependency via terminal, I get

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 lib32nss-mdns : Depends: libnss-mdns-i386 (= 0.10-6)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

But I have no broken packages - though I have run apt-get -f install just in case (Well, I had no broken packages at that time. I probably do now, due to what I did below with dpkg.)

If I try to install that lib via synaptic, it's willing to do it, but wants to remove a bunch of meta packages and my printer driver,among other things.

After fooling around with this for awhile, I decided to just install the .deb with dpkg, and see if not having that particular dependency was a big deal.

As a result, crossover tries to do the install itself, and returns with this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libnss-mdns:i386 : Depends: base-files:i386 (>= 3.1.10)

Thanks for any help!

(I have looked at what is here, but it's not doing much for me: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/Ubuntu/VividVervet)

You did do:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt-get update

Because Ubuntu doesn't yet do multiarch well out of the box. I would think that is the most probable reason for you dependencies issues. I might be wrong though, as I haven't used Ubuntu in an eternity.

Indeed I did, apologies for not mentioning that.

Thank you anyhow though!

I was curious so I did a search and I found this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/138530/why-do-i-get-an-unmet-dependencies-error-when-trying-to-install-wine

So, I'm wondering if current Ubuntu install is an upgrade or a clean install? In any case, maybe you can devise a solution from that link. I'll check more after lunch, I'm too hungry to do more! 😋

It's a nearly fresh install - and interestingly Crossover was working fine in Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 64-bit, just as a datapoint.

I really just wanted to spend some time with Plasma5 again, and Netrunner has given me the best KDE experience in the past among distros I've tried it on.

But I'm considering running back to Ubuntu Gnome - though I can't imagine why this wasn't a problem there, and is here...

I'll try the info at the link you provided (thank you!!) only as a last resort - I really don't want to go mucking around with having to downgrade and etc. if I can avoid it.

I appreciate the help though!

Yeah, when you have a distro that should be all set on install, fooling around with files and stuff shouldn't be too tempting.

If I find anything better later, I'll let you know.

J-P Simard wrote:

Yeah, when you have a distro that should be all set on install,
fooling around with files and stuff shouldn't be too tempting.

If I find anything better later, I'll let you know.

Thanks, you are going above and beyond. Am continuing to hunt myself, but really I'll probably just head back or maybe have a try with Manjaro or Netrunner Rolling (also favs of mine).

I'm not averse to messing around under the hood, I'm just a little flabbergasted that I should need to for such a relatively routine installation. This is hardly the first time I've installed crossover. And, I'm always a little leery of having to use any tricks for resolving dependencies - in my early days I boogered up a few installs nicely by getting cute with the package manager. 😊

Since you brought it up, I would go with Antergos before Manjaro. Antergos is closer to plain old Arch, and in my experience, runs with fewer glitches than Manjaro. Unlike Manjaro, Antergos mostly uses official Arch repos too.

That being said, these last few years, running Crossover on Arch has been really easy. The last bit of trouble was when Arch started making python3 the default. Other than that, Arch and Crossover are a good mix in most respects. You can either use the bin file or the AUR to install Crossover.

Well that's exactly what I did. Sitting on Antergos + Plasma5 now, and Crossover installed with no problem. I hated admitting defeat, but I've got no complaints about being back on something Arch based... 😊

Thanks for your help!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibUdGOUFXWHZlNTJZd3J3WCIsImdkcHIiOjB9