CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Issues with video card detection

I know this is a common recurring issue in Windows itself that gets even worse in Wine.

However it's been problematic for me since my latest video card upgrade.
The program that is experiencing the issue is The Sims 3. However, I suspect other Direct3D 9.x games will get the same result.
I did not experience this issue on my old card/driver (R9 280 / Mesa 13.x - Radeon)

I upgraded to an RX480 8GB with an AMDGPU-Pro (Proprietary) driver, and noticed a few issues.

First, I have to spoof the memory to 2GB or 3GB or it doesn't detect properly on most 32bit games. (I believe this is a bug worked around in Windows, by spoofing to 2GB of 3GB on 32bit games, but I'd need to test on a native Windows box to see, and I don't have one.)

Second, the card detects as a Radeon HD 5800, even if I change the PCI ID to match.

Third, Some game elements generated by Speedtree don't appear properly.

The game is still perfectly playable, but a tip on how to override the video string, and get the graphics rendering properly would be nice.
Also getting a patch in to cap Video memory to 3GB for large memory 32bit applications, and 2GB for non-large memory applications would be useful. (large memory indicates whether 32bit unsigned or 32bit signed (31bit) memory pointers are used, and hence determines maximum memory. 1GB extra is given on large memory for games that map the processor side DMA aperture to the video memory without mirroring it to GPU side memory. It should be safe to presume that non-large-memory games won't do this.)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOTJxVE5VdFFScUdheG5RUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9