CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot open MS documents on remote PC

I am running Linux xfce on a number of PCs and laptops. ALL up to date. I am using the latest crossover and installed MS Office. All works fine except for one thing. I can not open any MS Office documents that are stored on other machines. I.e. by this I mean if I have a document *.docx on a laptop, I can open the directory it is stored in from another PC/Laptop on the LAN but I can not open it using the Crossover/MS Office. I can open it using one of the native apps, such as Libra. But I do not want that as the formating goes all over the place.

If I try and open by dropdown and selecting Open and trying to follow the various paths, there is no network listed in Media or MNT or even the shortcuts on the desktop even if mounted.

I have ONE machine that does work though. It was set up a couple of years ago with Crossover support, but I can not recall what I did. I am sure it was in WINE config, but the latest versions of Crossover do not list the config anywhere.....

Any help please???

I think you need the set up the remote drive in the bottle of Office.

In the control panel of the bottle, you should see something named like "configure wine" or "winecfg". I'm not sure of the name, as my interface is in french, I can't point to the online manual either, the site errors out.

In any case, in winecfg (which is at least the name of the executable), you will find a tab which should let you add a drive you have mounted to your system and give it a drive letter, like under windows. With this, I'm fairly certain accessing network drives (on any distant computer) should be a breeze.

It sounds like you need to create a link in the Crossover bottle to the network drive that holds the document.

In Wine configuration for the bottle you are using, I think you choose Advanced properties and use Type: Network Share and set the path to where the network share is actually mounted on your local machine.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaHhMVkhUWjlZcmg5dUZzWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9