CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

What file[s] is Crossover looking for to install Word or Office?

I have done this before (pre-2010) but I'm not a Windows user. I have Crossover 18.5.0 installed OK under Mint 19.

I am required to use Microsoft Word (eg 2016) and I have authorization from my university under their MS license to do so, but I don't know what file or files to ask them for (and they won't have a clue about installation on a non-Windows system).

When Crossover asks Choose Installer File, what exactly is it looking for? An executable? A zip file? Or something else? Multiple files? What should I be asking my university IT for? It was easier in previous versions as they were all on CD, but now it's all online inside a server, and while I have access, I don't know where to point Crossover, or to what file.

Hey Peter.

I just run setup.exe from the Office cd, but in the Word folder there is a file called wordmui.msi
If setup doesn't work for you, find that file and try. Also, I usually go to the file without launching Crossover. I right-click the file, and choose install with Crossover. Then it already has the filename, and will launch the installer.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYzNwdHRHYmdxYW5tcjNUNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9