CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Font Smoothing Still A Frustration

After three years I still cannot get decent fonts on my windows programs running in Linux. There are numerous threads discussing this, including one I participated in here: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=26;mhl=90382;msg=83832#msg90382

I have been working to set up a new Ubuntu system recently and this issue arose again. In general, I find crossover unusable because of the poor fonts, but out of a general sense of Don Quixote I have upgraded Crossover twice in hopes that the problem would be fixed.

I can install wine and using winetricks change the registry settings and get perfectly acceptable font smoothing. The same registry tweaks done manually in Crossover have no result. (following the advice stated here: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/cxofficeantialias )

Can you please update me on the latest techniques for dealing with this issue. I cannot believe it is simply me or a narrow band of users. I suspect that a lot of other people are like me - install it, find it satisfactory only for minimal use, and give up in frustration. I would really like to track this problem down to a conclusion of one kind or another or simply go back to pure wine or Q4wine.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Click here for picture: image

Hi Hunter

I'm no expert on your issue however if you can fix the problem in wine with winetricks why not use winetricks in crossover. Here is sample code.

[Mac]

WINEPREFIX="/Library/Application Support/Crossover Games/Bottles/NewBottle" winetricks riched20

[linux]

WINEPREFIX=~/.cxgames/NewBottle winetricks riched20

Thank you Gary for a very prompt and logical suggestion.

Unfortunately that does not work. I installed winetricks, ran winetricks settings fontsmooth=rgb

and then

winetricks settings fontsmooth=gray

but no visible changes

but again thank you for the suggestion! I find this really frustrating and want to get to the bottom of it!

As an update to this, I just discovered that my entire font issue was solved by moving to NETRUNNER OS as my linux distribution. These are the guys who support KDE in Germany, and I still don't know what they do differently, but the result is amazingly better. Simply switching to Netrunner now has all my fonts looking perfect in every aspect of the crossover bottle. I've been frustrated with this for years, but the results on Netrunner show me that the issue all along has been something about the linux distribution setting, not about Crossover itself.

One quick note though: when saving screen shots, try the "best quality" setting, even if the resulted file is bigger because the picture that you posted is horrible due to compression artefacting... can't tell what's from font rendering vs. jpg high compression.

One other trick when dealing with fonts in wine is to increase the dpi setting in the Graphics tab of the Wine Configurator. It defaults to 96... as you increase it, fonts get bigger too but also anti-aliasing starts to work better and everything should look a lot better.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUDc5WVVYRVhjdDR2YkhiRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9