CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Serial port access access denied error (works on WineHQ though).

Using Fedora, I have installed our Windows application using WineHQ, and after performing two steps:

chmod 777 /dev
chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

I am able to successfully communicate to the serial port through the USB to serial adapter and eliminate the access denied (5) error.

Installing the same application using Crossover, I get the access denied error 5, and perform those same two steps, but still get that same error.

Any ideas on what to do? I am a linux newbie.

In case anyone wonders, I did a su - before the steps above, as well as cd /

Thanks.

This isn't an area of expertise for me, but here goes. I would like to say that, in my opinon, this isn't a Wine vs Crossover problem.

First, I would recommand 664 for security considerations. You don't need to execute anything on you usb device, you need read/write, and 664 will give you that much without execution. Not that I can think any situation where this is dangerous off the top of my head, but why not go for better practice.

Secondly, every reboot will change the permissions back, so you have to do the same commands over and over. You can solve the problem with a udev rules that should set permissions for you. Something like /lib/udev/rules.d/53-serial_usb.rules, with the rule as:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2504", MODE="0664"

The two attributes (ATTRS) should be made available to you with lsusb command. I'm not perfect, so if this doesn't work, google is your friend.

Lastly, from boot to boot and port to port, your device might not always be on ttyUSB0, it might move. So at each reboot, or just moving the device to another port, it changes where the device will be on the system. I imagine a udev rules could help in that are as well, but you might also need a systemd service file. A good article can be found here.

You're delving in a somewhat complicated subject, but if you resolve this, you will have learned a bunch of stuff many wouldn't even know is there.

Thanks for the reply.

I went back into the terminal, and ran

chmod 664 /dev
chmod 664 /dev/ttyUSB0

And I got a file not found error instead of the access denied. Then I ran

chmod 777 /dev

And I got the access denied error 5 again, and when I ran

chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

It worked correctly. This is in WineHQ.

I have noticed that on reboot things revert, so thanks for the tips there. Also, in my case the adapter is always showing up at ttyUSB0. And I have created the symbolic link for "com1" so that the Windows application is able to open it as a serial device.

I knew that 777 opened up everything, but I just want to get it to work, then worry about security. This is going to be used by engineers and won't be connected to the internet or have any unauthorized users anyway.

We'd like this to work with Crossover simply because it's a paid product that should have better support than something like WineHQ.

Proper access to USB, as I recall is more of a ToDo list item for Wine (which is what CrossOver uses internally).

This page seems to confirm it:
http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleaseCriteria

The big bullet point for the 1.8 release is CSMT. You can find USB and some others as possible features for a future version.

I would also point out the "proper support" should go through a support ticket. We advocates like to help, but we're not exactly official support.

I totally understand about support. We downloaded the trial and were evaluating it after having gotten our program to work with Wine.

Can I actually open a ticket while not being a paid customer as of yet?

Write to info@codeweavers.com, that's the channel for demo users to have support getting their stuff running.

Edit: I just noticed I forgot to mention you don't need to chmod /dev. If you need /dev/ttyUSB0, you can just chmod that and leave /dev as it is.

Thanks. All this is new, so every bit helps.

Thanks for the feedback. After hearing from support on the info email, I was able to get it to work. I had to create the symbolic link inside the "bottle" for my application in the dosdevices folder. This was like what I did in Wine. After doing that, it works perfectly.

Glad to hear it!

1 to 10 of 10

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQXhLaHROa0xjRWFDYVIzVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9