CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Linux: Microsoft office can't overwrite files in a windows share

Hello all,
i'm using the last version of crossover in linux.
I'm trying to save a microsoft office file in a windows share that already exists and i have an error about permissions.
i have tryed with office 2007, office 2010 + sp2

crossover save a lot of files .tmp in the share but not the file. The only soluttion that i found was save the file with another name. This is not a good solution.

This problem not occurs in this share if i use alternative programs such as libreoffice or openoffice. it seems a bug of crossover?

thanks in advance

When you say "windows share" do you mean an actual windows computer sharing some folder, or do you mean a Samba server? That could make a major difference in figuring out the problem.

Anyway, here's what I can think of on the spot...

When mixing Linux and Windows shares, you want to avoid like a plague file or folder names with spaces or accents, that alone can be a major annoyance.

Further, I have sometimes seen many permission problems. Even if you have mounted the drive properly, and set proper permissions on the share, the permissions on the files that cause problems. That comes from the fact that Linux and Windows have very different permissions management. You might want to do a chmod -R 666 * throught the terminal, from you Linux machine. That just might fix it for the files that exist, but might not fix it for new files.

I can save or orverwrite to my samba share with Word 2007, so I doubt there is any serious problems with Crossover. Mind you, I have a Samba server running on a Linux system. Even then, I had some problems at first.

I see same problem with shares mounted by ssh-fuse. I mount the share in the comnand line, not using Nautilus or anything else to establish it. THen I start winword or excel from the command line, in a terminal, that almost always is trouble. I end up having to copy the MS file into the linux system's /tmp and edit it, then copy back.

The tech support people here say its related to problems in support of gnome VFS and similar. If you use nautilus to map a share, and then you try to launch the application you want, you often get an error because gvfs thinks it should tell you which application to use. It is rather similar to way Macintosh does not want you to run programs from shell, you are suppsed to use a wrapper program like "launch" or whatnot. If you are willing to interact with the files through Nautilus, which uses "gvfs-open" in background to open files, it seems problem is ameliorated. But I don't work that way, so it is inconvenient.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZlk0Y1d4YVlHUmJrazROZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9