CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Does the distro make a difference? Ubuntu vs Debian

I'm trying to get some appraisals forms software installed (Clickforms). A tech at Clickforms worked on it on his own time (its obviously not supported on Linux). He says he was able to install the software on Ubuntu with Wine 1.6.2. However, when installing it on SolydX BE (Debian Wheezy based) he got OLE errors. I also get OLE errors when trying to install the software with Crossover. What would be different in the wine package for Ubuntu 12.04 vs Debian that it will install and run fine in Ubuntu but not Debian Stable based distro.

The libraries that are installed on the system can make all the difference, yes. I have a program that would crash for some weird reason, in a non-reproducible manner, when I was using 12.04 but stopped crashing in 14.04.

If you try opensuse, you will have to do symlinks and stuff.

Funny enough, I have had the least amount of trouble under Arch, although you would think a rolling distro would be the first to pick up bugs. Mind you, "the least" doesn't mean no bugs.

So yeah, what distro you choose will change your experience.

Thats interesting. I thought all the required Windows stuff would have been wrapped up in Codeweavers. I didn't think the underlying distro would make a difference. Is it just a matter of libraries? Could I figure out what libraries Ubuntu has that I don't and install them to get things going?

Is their a way to check which libaries might be included in Ubuntu but missing in my Debian distro (SolydK BE) that make wine/Crossover work better in Ubuntu. Could I just install the missing libraries and have things running?

Yes and no, sort of...

There might be a number of libraries that vary, sometimes by nothing else than versions. Each library might interact with any other piece of software, leading to some depedency hell, or maybe not. And then, there are distro specific patches that might find their way into any bit of software. It is hard to tell without knowing what exactly is the variations between any two distros. Is it impossible to mimic one distro onto another? Certainly not, but your mileage may vary.

The "windows stuff" is within Crossover, but in turn, it depends on a bunch of Linux libraries to actually get stuff executed. That's why there is only a small list of distros of whom Codeweavers can say they know what to expect. That is also why I expect Arch will never be a supported distro, as it is certainly the most mobile of moving targets. Yet, I have little trouble because Arch uses "pure upstream" as much as possible, without patches.

In conclusion, yes I think you can figure it out, will it be worth it? I don't know.

That being said, have you used the cxdiag utility? If you installed with the deb, it would be in /opt/cxoffice/bin. This is a terminal based utility that lists libraries you should consider installing. The description of those libraries will give you an idea as to how much useful they are.

I found cxdiag where you said it was. I'm not very good with CLI though. How do I get it to run?

You're probably not missing many important libs, the issue is that bugs in library version x could be fixed in version x+1 of that same library (or missing features added in a transparent way so they don't break API).

@J-P installing it via deb puts the files in /opt/cxoffice/

... so the way to run cxdiag is to open a terminal window and just copy and paste this line: /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

@J-P installing it via deb puts the files in /opt/cxoffice/

... so the way to run cxdiag is to open a terminal window and just
copy and paste this line: /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

Oooops, forgive the mistake. I was typing that while a bit distracted.

Never mind, I found how to run cxdiag in the faq. I'll have to see what I can do about some of these libraries and things now. Lots of other stuff in there might be use full too. Thanks for the help. I think running cxdiag is going to help pin some things down.

Looking through my cxdiag it looks like I am missing a number of 32bit libaries. Funny thing is I don't even see them in the repo. I think my Debian is multiarch. So maybe thats why.

I also see my OpenGL and driect X dont work. I'm sure this could cause issues. I just don't know how to fix them though.

EDIT
I also noticed all my missing libraries have a '.so' in the name. None of my libraries are '.so' versions

Doesn't Solyd provide something like a driver helper/installer utility? What videocard do you use? In the same FAQ, there is a page listing most of the possibly missing libs and how to install them. The Ubuntu package names should be the same as on Debian.

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/diag

I have an nVidia GForce210. I think I have everything installed correctly. Everything works fine in Linux. I also checked all the missing libaries and in Synaptic it looks like they are all there. But maybe a slightly different version. So I'm kind of lost as to why I get all these errors.

The only one that I clearly did not have was the libhal. But since I have a newer distro, the faq said I could most likely ignore it since things are taken care of by DBus. So I'm not sure what I need to do. I can't put any more time into it right now, but I may be back in the next few days.

Are you in 32 or 64 bit. Wine / Crossover requires 32bit libraries of your drivers/utilities. For instance, I have lib32-nvidia-libgl and lib32-nvidia-utils on my 64bit Arch install, but this for a still mainline 5700gtx card. You might need the legacy drivers and I'm none too sure how those would be named in Solydx.

J-P Simard wrote:

Are you in 32 or 64 bit. Wine / Crossover requires 32bit libraries
of your drivers/utilities. For instance, I have lib32-nvidia-libgl
and lib32-nvidia-utils on my 64bit Arch install, but this for a
still mainline 5700gtx card. You might need the legacy drivers and
I'm none too sure how those would be named in Solydx.

I was thinking along this same line. I am using a 64bit distro. Its supposed to have multi-arch support, but I wonder if I still need to install more 32bit libraries.

For one, all libraries listed by cxdiag should be the 32bit version...

1 to 16 of 16

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid1l4VjVxTWQ2TU1Qa250RyIsImdkcHIiOjB9