CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

crossover missing from xubuntu menu

Hello,
I have xubuntu 14.04 and a few weeks ago I noticed that crossover 12.5.1 went missing from the menu.
It used to be there before. I use it for Microsoft Office 2007 and I can open any document with it, but it's icons aren in the menu either.

I already removed and reinstalled crossover and the problem persists.

Any clues?
Thanks

Same here ... after moving to Xubuntu 14.10, crossover does not show up in menu anymore. I've even upgarded to crossover 14.0.1, but still does not show up. Any fixes in the works?

This is a type of behavior one can expect for a number of reasons. One situation is that the *.desktop file still exists in /home/your_user/.local/share/applications/ , but it has been marked as hidden for some stupid reason. Another is changing from one desktop to another and integration goes out the window (or is it Windows). Anyway, this stuff happens...

But there's more, and my current hypothesis is that you have no folder named "xfce-applications-merged" in "/home/your_user/.config/menus/". This leads your menus to be either incomplete or outright missing, but it can be corrected.

What I do, as this has happened before to me, is go into the bottle manager, and for each bottle press "edit menus" and the press "recreate". If that doesn't work, toggle some items on and off with a press of recreate each time. That should trigger the necessary functions for Crossover to recreate the menus for your new XFCE desktop. By the way, Crossover works fine on my Arch+XFCE desktop, so I see no reason to stop things working correctly on Xubuntu installation. We can get this working for the both of you.

Weird. It happened to usually not be there right after install but would appear after a log out - log in dance. That's what you get when you think people would actually implement freedesktop.org standards in their DEs

Standards are only standards as long as everybody agrees as to what they mean. There are no real standards, as there is always some different way of looking at them.

I seem to be having the same trouble with Crossover menus in Xubuntu 14.04.1. I've tried the suggesions above on two different machines and can't seem to get it to behave properly. I've tried swapping out Wisker menu for the older Application menu but it's the same mess. Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

I make use of whiskermenu as well, and yet no problem whatsoever. I can only think that the ".desktop" files are there but marked as "hidden". For instance, the files in /home/your_user/.local/share/applications/ should be entirely .desktop files. If you find files that begin by "cxassoc-cxoffice", those would be the files that would normally make the entries in the menu. If you edit them with something like gedit (or leafpad), you could possibly find something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
X-Created-By=cxoffice-7a69cb09-cd4a-423d-93c7-4b89fe6ad42b
NoDisplay=true
Icon=/home/your_user/.cxoffice/Microsoft Office 2007/windata/Associations/01cd147e_pptico.10.xpm
Name=Microsoft Office PowerPoint (Afficher)
GenericName=Windows Association (CrossOver)
Exec="/home/your_user/.cxoffice/Microsoft Office 2007/desktopdata/cxassoc/Scripts/cxoffice-7a69cb09-cd4a-423d-93c7-4b89fe6ad42b:application_vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation::show" %u
Terminal=false
MimeType=application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation;application/x-crossover-pptx;
InitialPreference=1
Hidden=true

Deleting the "hidden" line would let them show up again. That being said, this is just a theory. It might happen there's a better way to resolve this than my workaround. At this point, I suggest one of you open a support ticket.

Thanks! I tried again with no luck, so I filed a ticket:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=1009873

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOFZrZ21IcXQyVDNIVVk5NiIsImdkcHIiOjB9