CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CD ripping

Is there any Windows CD ripping software that works in Crossover Linux?

dbPowerAmp seems to be almost functional, but it can't find the CD drive.

• Richard.

If you look, dbpoweramp R14 has been rated as working by the community (silver on Linux).

I figure that the problem for it to find the drive is not that far from just adding the drive to the bottle. Look for the winecfg tool in the control panel which should point to your drive, where ever it is mounted. (or maybe at /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrom, I'm not sure).

What's wrong with the native Linux CD ripping tools? Sound-juicer, Asunder, ripperx...

Yeah, I thought it must have something really special, but honestly after looking at the site, I don't get it. Running it through Crossover seems like just a pain for no reason.

J-P Simard wrote:

If you look,
[link=https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=10249]dbpoweramp
R14[/link] has been rated as working by the community (silver on
Linux).

I figure that the problem for it to find the drive is not that far
from just adding the drive to the bottle. Look for the winecfg tool
in the
[link=https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-linux/controlpanel]control
panel[/link] which should point to your drive, where ever it is
mounted. (or maybe at /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrom, I'm not sure).

I have R15. Do I have to downgrade?
I added the drive, but the program doesn't recognise the drive. I've tried both /dev/sr0 and /dev/cdrom. If I use /cdrom dbpoweramp thinks there's a drive there but can't read anything.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

What's wrong with the native Linux CD ripping tools? Sound-juicer,
Asunder, ripperx...

I wanted to use the AccurateRip database. Are there Linux rippers that use this?

Well I don't think they do but they use cdparanoia which is designed to create proper rips even in terrible conditions. You should give them a try first.

You could look for it. I know for a fact that there is "flaccuraterip" to verify FLAC files. The must be something out there that might use it.

Then there is morituri ( http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/ ) which officially supports it, but it is command line only. The commands aren't that hard though.

In other words, it isn't an unkown in Linux circles.

As for your software, I thought adding the drive might solve things, but not having much experience with that kind of software under Crossover, I can't really think of anything else. If I have the time this evening, I'll try stuff out, just for kicks and report back if I have a solution.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

Well I don't think they do but they use
cdparanoia
which is designed to create proper rips even in terrible conditions.
You should give them a try first.

I've been using them for a long time, but I noticed that when I did an md5sum of the results of different rippers on the same CD the md5sums differed. That didn't inspire confidence, so I converted to dbpoweramp.

My problem is not how to rip a CD but how to use dbpoweramp.

J-P Simard wrote:

As for your software, I thought adding the drive might solve things,
but not having much experience with that kind of software under
Crossover, I can't really think of anything else. If I have the time
this evening, I'll try stuff out, just for kicks and report back if
I have a solution.

Thanks. Maybe Crossover works better under some linux distributions than others. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 with the Mate desktop.

Just one thing though, md5sum do not in any way indicate something is wrong with your rips at all. Not even close.

J-P Simard wrote:

Just one thing though, md5sum do not in any way indicate something
is wrong with your rips at all. Not even close.

I agree that a few bytes difference is neither here nor there, given the number of samples per second, but I just prefer to know that I have accuracy.

Well, I tried and couldn't get it to work either. Honestly, I just don't have the motivation to spend more than a few minutes on this. I personally have hyperacusis and I can say that with my hearing, no matter what people swear by, all mp3 / flac / ogg sound like crap. So I just don't bother with specialized stuff.

I have found these two links which might be of interest to you:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12359

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=70438*70438

It would seem that the mount point of audio cds is the problem, mainly because audio are never actually mounted since they don't have a proper file system to start with. Anyway, best of luck to you.

OK. I've solved my problem and dbPowerAmp is now working.

I got it working by changing ownership of the mount point /mnt/cdrom from root to my own user account.

The next question is: is there a place somewhere, apart from this forum thread, where information is stored on how to solve these sorts of problems, on a per-application basis?

• Richard.

Each application has it's own subforum and a tips & tricks page.

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSFdSd3BBeVRCNGJ1YndTSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9