CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ubuntu PPA

Hi,

Would it be possible for codeweavers to maintain an Ubuntu PPA from which to automatically push updates for CrossOver Linux?
This would substantially simplify the process of maintaining the installed version.

Regards,
Erez Hadad

This is exactly what they're trying to avoid. Having to set up repositories for every distribution under the sun. Just check your download page. It ain't that hard.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

This is exactly what they're trying to avoid. Having to set up
repositories for every distribution under the sun. Just check your
download page. It ain't that hard.

Silvlu,

I can understand why you would be reluctant to establish a PPA, but in reality the most you would need would be two. One for Ubuntu and one for whatever the largest Red Hat based distribution is, so the idea that you would need to set up a repo for "every distribution under the sun" is facetious at best. I can see however, that because upgrade rights are based on subscription status having a PPA would be problematic.

I'm curious, has any of the proponents of this ppa idea actually have ever maintained a ppa themselves?

It is easy to ask for something when you don't know the work involved.

Probably more work than just downloading what you want. 😊

Once Codeweavers opens the door for running their own repository, they'll get requests for multiple distributions. "Every one under the sun" might be an exaggeration, but only doing "red hat" + "ubuntu" won't cover the bases either. They'll still end up having to provide just what they provide, plus providing for having however many repo's they do... and there will always be somebody else to come along and beg to provide for their distribution as well. I'd be afraid that opening that door would lead to price increases to pay for the extra time and work involved, especially since I'm quite content with the system as is.

just imho.

J-P Simard wrote:

I'm curious, has any of the proponents of this ppa idea actually
have ever maintained a ppa themselves?

It is easy to ask for something when you don't know the work
involved.

I maintain several yum repos. Not that hard.

I also find Arch easy to install and maintain, but that is subjective.

My point is that many ask for something without consideration of the work involved. As this has pointed out on this thread, I don't believe they have considered the politics of having an Ubuntu PPA for a product like Crossover either.

Andrew Schott wrote:

J-P Simard wrote:

I'm curious, has any of the proponents of this ppa idea
actually have ever maintained a ppa themselves?

It is easy to ask for something when you don't know the work
involved.

I maintain several yum repos. Not that hard.

lets split Package managers vs package&dependency fetchers, ie yum&apt vs rpm&dpkg

rpm is generally very easy. Mostly because rpm packages don't require that you wear pants when you go outside to do things. It just assumes you do. Funny things tend to happen when you don't wear pants outside. At least it is funny for everyone else.

dpkg set the bar a little higher by requiring things like making sure you are wearing pants. But having to make sure you wear pants for every different day(flavor) of the month(distribution) becomes a little tedious to the point of soul crushing any CM.

yum is kinda like a short bus. everyone hops on, hopefully the driver isn't hungover, or still drunk, from trying to drink away their problems last night. it works except for when it does not. And when it does not work, it fails spectacularly.

apt is a bus transit authority in how things are handled, everyone has their tickets and their destination. everything is fairly organized in a way which provides the most benefit. While they do not happen as often, getting changes done requires alot of extra effort, involving groups outside the TA for planning and execution of changes.

While it could be possible for make a repository for every special case distribution, it really isn't feasible without escitalopram and alprazolam scripts.

Not to mention, many users are not intelligent enough to catch that this software requires a purchased license to function, and these users will just cause outright issues due to implied privilege and inability to rtfm.

William Overstreet wrote:

inability to rtfm.

RTFM, a rarely used, sorely misunderstood acronym...

J-P Simard wrote:

inability to rtfm.

RTFM, a rarely used, sorely misunderstood acronym...

People put so much effort into creating those fine manpages and manuals, that I am unable to understand why people cannot take the time to read them.

Not to mention, many users are not intelligent enough to catch that
this software requires a purchased license to function, and these
users will just cause outright issues due to implied privilege and
inability to rtfm.

Well both Red Hat and SuSE do just this with private authenticated repositories. There is no reason anyone who WANTS one can't do one. Clearly Codeweavers chooses not to for whatever reasons. Frankly though a public repo for each major package type that they already support would be fine enough for %95 of us. I don't run apt or slackpack repos, but with yum and zypper its not that hard to script up. I can only presume that the other primary package types are roughly equal in effort.

Plus there is also the Loki updater which is often forgotten, and frankly the more I think about it, is an excellent and apt solution for CX.

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRjV2a2gyTHRiY2VRZE1yYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9