CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover for Windows

Now that we have native ELF binary Linux support in Windows, and the ability already to run some X programs, it got me wondering if the old WineOnWindows idea could be resurrected.

The reason I'm suggesting is because with the switch to Win64, Microsoft has deprecated NTVDM support, meaning a lot of 16 bit and early 32 bit Windows programs are unable to run on 64 bit versions of Windows - although running fine on 64 bit Wine/Linux.

A lot of old companies continue to rely on legacy 16 bit software, so I feel it may be worth an investigation to see if the project is viable.

there is a lot of companies that continue to rely on legacy 16 bit software,
or even on the older 32bit software, and this is where Cx can really shine. ..

the real issue is getting people to accept that Cx can indeed be used to run their old software,
but on a different platform to what they are used to using.
ie: getting them to move away from windows platform.

• to something like a linux system.

I think JLs point here is that Windows is implementing a Linux like environment. Depending on how it is actually implemented, it might be possible to run WINE on Windows and therefore use Crossover to support old Windows programs on new Windows versions.

The wine wiki says wine builds somewhat with mingw but it's a older software so i'm sure it doesn't work anymore. Crossover is a Linux and Mac software used to run windows programs on those Operating systems. You could have a look at the Cygwin project it is a collection of tools that offer a Linux-like environment on Windows. It’s not a way to run existing Linux software on Windows

Many common Linux programs have already been ported to Windows and compiled versions have been made available online just do a Google search for them. Sorry but this isn't a easy fix for windows users maybe dual booting is something you're interested in.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRkJNR2tKQ3JIeFBYTk10dSIsImdkcHIiOjB9