CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How do I install comctl32 in Crossover Linux

For a couple of years I've been running Faststone Image Viewer of various versions under Wine.

No real problems apart from the fact that you have to install an old version of comctl32 MS Common Controls 5.80 from 2001 in order to get the image thumbnails to load completely. If not installed they do not all display.

I have never been able to work out how to get this dll to install properly in Crossover. It seems such a simple thing to need but I cannot make any progress.

Under Wine I just run winetricks comctl32 and all is well. I'd like to get all my windows stuff under one roof if possible so would appreciate any assistance on this.

Thank you

Ugh, it should be simple but not in the way you think. CrossOver does away with a few of the "tools of the tinkerer" vs. pure wine because, in an ideal world they're not needed.

Anyway, there is a crosstie file for MS Common Controls here:
MICROSOFT VISUAL BASIC 6.0 COMMON CONTROLS

If just installing that into the same bottle with the software does not cut it, I've taken a look at the comctl32 "magic" of winetricks. They basically download a redistributable installer, unpack it (it's a winzip file), then run the installer but with options to unpack the files, copy one of the dlls as comctl32.dll, then do a bunch of overrides one of which is setting comctl32.dll from (builtin, native) to (native, builtin).

You can check it out here.

I guess that's the reason there isn't a crosstie for it. CrossOver's crossties can handle unpacking and copying files, but aren't as flexible as scripts.

The file is hosted by the debian project here.

Hopefully, the crosstie I pointed you to will sort things out for you.

PS: Downloaded the latest version of the Faststone Image Viewer and let it loose on my Pictures folder, it seems it loaded up all thumbnails fine.

Thank you so much for your swift and comprehensive reply - greatly appreciated.

I have tried the suggested CrossTie, but sadly it does not make any difference. Displaying all the thumbnails seems to be tied to the specific earlier version of comctl32 5.80

Depending on a number of unknowable factors you normally get around 40 - 50 shown. If you click on some white space below the displayed thumbnails, the picture shows in the view/edit pane. In Icon mode you get all of them.

I have tried copying over the dll and using an override but that doesn't seem to work either - it is as if Crossover is just ignoring it.

Hi,

Yeah, I saw the problem you described. The worst part is that I could not get the program to run well even with PoL and the latest wine-staging build. Unpacked the dll from the file I linked to, added the override... same thing.

Maybe there's some sort of regression... Which version of Wine were you able to successfully run it with and fix thumbnail issue?

I found that PoL wouldn't behave either...........😕

I use Wine 1.6.2 with just winetricks installed and all the i386 stuff as well - on Debian Jessie.

When you run winetricks comctl32 you can see the command it runs along the lines of the git source you described.

I've never been able to translate that into something that behaves in Crossover.

The same process works OK on 'buntu 14.04 based distros with Wine 1.6.2

You mean, with pure wine 1.6.2 it works, right? And you tried PoL and it didn't. Have you set the PoL bottle's wine version to 1.6.2? It SHOULD behave exactly like wine, with the same stuff installed...

PoL doesn't allow the winetricks installation to work. I was under the impression that PoL was just a front end for the installed version of Wine, but if I tell it to use the System wine version it is not using the previously installed Wine exactly. I've tried adding version 1.6.2 from the version picker but that just kicks off another Wine install.....
As I said, it is possible to get a fully working in basic Wine, so it was just a question of whether there is an easy way to get it working in Xover - no worries if it isn't.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUHdGSlVXNXlSZkNUNnFGSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9