CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

virtualbox distribution suitable for crossover

Hello,
Could anybody suggest a VHD or crossover preinstalled distribution that I can run on virtualbox?
If that is not available, a virtualbox VHD that I can install crossover on?
I would prefer the smallest file size distribution.
Thanks.

Selfy wrote:

Hello,
Could anybody suggest a VHD or crossover preinstalled distribution
that I can run on virtualbox?
If that is not available, a virtualbox VHD that I can install
crossover on?
I would prefer the smallest file size distribution.
Thanks.

So you want a virtual machine installed with a linux distro and to run a Windows app you need a preinstalled Crossover Trial?

Am I getting it right?

The lightest DE installation you will get with Arch Linux albeit not the easiest one to install. Artix is a lightweight Arch net-installer using OpenRC init system. This way you can customize the install to fit your needs - install crossover and export it from VirtualBox as an appliance.

The iso is found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/artix-linux/files/iso/lxqt/. Load the iso in new VirtualBox VM and when loaded open a terminal and launch the installer with

sudo calamares

In terms of 'the least possible' size, what are you considering the least possible size?

For the educational aspect I have made an appliance with the above mentioned distribution and the packed ova file has a size of 2.2GB. If you're interested I can supply a download link for it.

Frede Hundewadt wrote:

So you want a virtual machine installed with a linux distro and to
run a Windows app you need a preinstalled Crossover Trial?

Yes. That's correct.

Frede Hundewadt wrote:

In terms of 'the least possible' size, what are you considering the
least possible size?

I intend to keep the virtual machine on always to have a network related app called "Speedify.com" running on it using crossover (if it works). Hence would like the distribution to take as less resources as it could.

Frede Hundewadt wrote:

For the educational aspect I have made an appliance with the above
mentioned distribution and the packed ova file has a size of 2.2GB.
If you're interested I can supply a download link for it.

Please do. I will give it a try. Just to note, I have virtually no experience in *nix environments.

Thanks.

Please do. I will give it a try. Just to note, I have virtually no
experience in *nix environments.

Thanks.

While I was curious to how small it was possible to create such an appliance - please note that I cannot and will not offer any support so please don't create forum questions regarding this. The appliance is provided as is on a MIT license with absolutely no guarantees of any kind. The preinstalled Crossover Trial carries its own license and usage terms.

Enough legal stuff - on to business - this is the link.
Edit
I noticed your mention of speedify.com - I checked - it will install - but it appears not functional.
link deleted

I would simply say two thing here:

1) Arch, and anything based on Arch, isn't a supported distro for Crossover.

2) I have had better results on Arch than any other distro for many software I tried.

Just keep that in mind. Tested distros can are listed here: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/requirements

J-P Simard wrote:

I would simply say two thing here:
1) Arch, and anything based on Arch, isn't a supported distro for
Crossover.

That is not true. Arch is as supported as many other distros. Just look in the wiki diagnose section. The various entries in this section contains instructions on how to install missing libraries on Arch Linux.

Try opening a support ticket with Arch and see what happens...

As an Arch user for nearly a decade, and pretty senior advocate for Crossover, I think I would know. No, Arch isn't a supported distro where Crossover is concerned. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. It means that you're on your own if a show stopper comes along. Yes there is some info on the site, and no it doesn't mean Arch is officially supported.

Before spouting stuff to a guy that's been an advocate for longer than you, you might want to read: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/distros

Spoiler alert, Arch isn't on the official list of supported distros! Funny how that works huh? Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes at some point, myself included.

On the other hand, along with a few others, I would gladly assist any user which uses Arch or it's derivatives. Still not official support though.

J-P Simard wrote:

Try opening a support ticket with Arch and see what happens...

As an Arch user for nearly a decade, and pretty senior advocate for
Crossover, I think I would know. No, Arch isn't a supported distro
where Crossover is concerned. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. It
means that you're on your own if a show stopper comes along. Yes
there is some info on the site, and no it doesn't mean Arch is
officially supported.

Before spouting stuff to a guy that's been an advocate for longer
than you, you might want to read:
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/distros

Spoiler alert, Arch isn't on the official list of supported distros!
Funny how that works huh? Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes
at some point, myself included.

On the other hand, along with a few others, I would gladly assist
any user which uses Arch or it's derivatives. Still not official
support though.

Well, I have, actually very recently, opened a support ticket and stating using Arch and I was not rejected - au'contrair.

And speaking of seniors - you have noted that my codeweavers account is 2 years older than yours?

But let us let it rest in peace
😉

It's "au contraire"... There's no apostrophe, and an "e" at the end. French is my mother tongue after all, so that one I'm sure of. Further I have not seen the age of your account, just as you have missed an entire web page, and my rank (which is what I was referring to).

In the end, the information is correct, Arch isn't officially supported. This is an issue for significant problems, in particular for new users. If this user hits a wall, he runs a much more significant chance of getting dropped. Arch isn't supported because it's a moving target. Now, that's not to say you absolutely will never receive support, but I can say that my experience is that Arch user can be dropped because it is an unsupported distro.

But since we're discussing, recommending an Arch based distro to a newbie for use with Crossover, I'm not sure that's ideal. Artix, being a recent split from Manjaro, itself a derivative of Arch, are you sure about that one? You might not like systemd, but openRC isn't exactly mainline. Over all, there might be more here to question than support from Codeweavers. I'm not saying this is the worst choice ever, far from it (it's not like recommending Gentoo), but perhaps not the most appropriate for a newbie. Even Arch's wiki is very sparse about openRC since it's not officially supported. Where would one go to figure things out when crap happens? How long will Artix live, since it has no proven longevity? Those are questions I wonder about. Mind you, with the parameters asking for the lowest resources distro possible, you are pretty much on target. You did give out what was asked for, but did you give out what was needed?

Not to take sides, but it's correct that Arch isn't officially supported by us. We'll still help you if we can, and we do have people using Arch internally at CodeWeavers, but we're not claiming CrossOver will work on Arch at any given time.

You might want to look at "schroot" which allows for you to install a minimal version of your distro for testing Crossover in a chrooted environment. The basic installation can be easily created and deleted countless time so you are always testing in the same environment. You can also install 32-bit and 64-bit environments on a 64-bit computer. Schroots don't even need to be the same distro.

While initially a Debian app, it has been ported to other distros including Mageia that I use. What it provides is an environment that is repeatable without change that is the perfect environment for but-testing things like Crossover.

https://wiki.debian.org/Schroot

http://maximumhoyt.blogspot.com/2017/07/schroot-for-mageia.html

Schroots don't even need to be the same distro and -- once set up -- are brain-dead easy to use over and over. There's no need for the overhead of Virtualbox.

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWWI3dUJkS2d5Zlc2WUM3YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9