CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No sound in every crossover application sine Linux Mint 16

I have got a major sound issue since i upgraded my system from linux mint 15 to linux mint 16. There is no sound in crossover and the wine sound is distorted. I also checked dxdiag to install missing libaries but some libaries can not be found even though they are installed. Dont know if this is related to the sound issue. Here my dxdiag.

found libfreetype.so.6
found libgcc_s.so.1
found libXext.so.6
found libasound.so.2
found libcapi20.so.3
found libcups.so.2
found libdbus-1.so.3
found libfontconfig.so.1
libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

libgsm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

found libgstapp-0.10.so.0
found libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
libhal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

found liblber-2.4.so.2
liblcms2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibLcms2]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit liblcms2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Provides color profile information to Windows applications. This is particularly useful if you have color-calibrated your screen but some applications need it even if you have not done so."

found libldap_r-2.4.so.2
found libmpg123.so.0
found libopenal.so.1
libOSMesa.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.6 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

found libresolv.so.2
libsane.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

libtiff.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

found libv4l1.so.0
found libXcomposite.so.1
found libXcursor.so.1
found libXi.so.6
libXinerama.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibXinerama]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXinerama.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed if your display spans multiple screens. If your computer has a single screen then you don't need it."

found libxml2.so.2
found libXrandr.so.2
found libXrender.so.1
found libxslt.so.1
found libXxf86vm.so.1
found libz.so.1
libcrypto.so.0.9.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libcrypto.so.0.9.7a: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libcrypto.so.0.9.7f: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libcrypto.so.0.9.8a: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libcrypto.so.0.9.8g: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libcrypto.so.0.9.8k: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
found libcrypto.so.1.0.0
libssl.so.0.9.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libssl.so.0.9.7a: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libssl.so.0.9.7f: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libssl.so.0.9.8a: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libssl.so.0.9.8g: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libssl.so.0.9.8k: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
found libssl.so.1.0.0
found libgnutls.so.26
found libpng12.so.0
getrlimit(RLIMIT_AS) returned 0, max=-1
``` I hope someone can help me. 

Greetings Julian

Was this a clean install or did you try upgrading from 15 to 16? The latter is unsupported even by the Mint devs.

Have you tried going into Control Panel - Wine Config and changing the default Audio setting to your actual sound device. I have seen a lot of sound issues with PulseAdeio and crossover 13.x it often helps.

Get rid of PulseAudio and go back to Alsa -- that's what I had to do to get sound on one of my systems due to the sound card I used (a Turtle Beach Riviera). That might work.

You might want to try going through the troubleshooting section here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

CrossOver uses ALSA for sound output even when PulseAudio is running. The flash player also uses ALSA, so you can use that to test whether ALSA is generally broken. If you got Wine from your distro, it may be using the unofficial PulseAudio driver. See also: http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound

I installed Mint 16 this weekend and encountered the same issue when I started installing some games in CrossOver tonight. In addition to that, software running in CrossOver was using a very basic mouse cursor theme for some reason...

Anyway it seems to me that there were some missing dependencies causing issues; I uninstalled CrossOver 13 and installed & tested CrossOver 12.5.0 (plus 205 dependencies) and sound / normal mouse cursors all worked fine in that... and now they all work fine in CrossOver 13 too.

Turns out this isn't entirely as fixed as I thought last night... sound etc. is working, but it's very "crackly". If I manually set the audio output device in wine config it stops the crackling, but this doesn't always work/some things won't have sound (and Fallout 3's launcher complains that it can't find any sound device).

Those were quite some replys for a day. I Have a clean install and no upgrades whatsoever. Flash player is working perfectly. Also my distro does not seem to use the inofficial pulse audio driver for wine, it says "winealsa.drv" when i look for the sounddriver. I will just try installing the old version like Adam did and see if it works.

EDIT: It is somewhat working. The sound in the game i wanted to play (world of tanks) works flawless now even though the winecfg test sound does not.

Very thanks for your fast replys.
Greetings Julian

If that doesn't help, please file a ticket as what we can do over the forums is very limited.

Adam wrote:

Turns out this isn't entirely as fixed as I thought last night...
sound etc. is working, but it's very "crackly". If I manually set
the audio output device in wine config it stops the crackling, but
this doesn't always work/some things won't have sound (and Fallout
3's launcher complains that it can't find any sound device).

I noticed a similar problem with all of the newer distros: Linux Mint 16, OpenSuSE 13.1 and Manjaro (which is new all the time being a rolling release).

The problem with various applications not being able to find the output device might be happening because something else is using the audio device and wine does not like to share. PulseAudio was able to handle this in older versions, something changed in either ALSA or Pulse, heck it could be changes in both of those.

I will mention this post in my already opened ticket.

I've done some more testing, with these games:

STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER - Call of Pripyat
Shadow Warrior (2013)
Rise of the Triad (2013)
Magrunner - Dark Pulse
Fallout 3
Alan Wake

All of them except the STALKER games suffer from crackling sound if "system default" is set for output device. Selecting the output device manually fixes the crackling for the most part (there's still some crackling, but it's greatly reduced - just an occasional "pop" every so often), but introduces other problems with some games - e.g. Fallout 3's launcher complaining that it can't find any sound device (sound does play though, in both the launcher and the game itself), and complete loss of sound in the cases of Alan Wake and ROTT2013.

Although Fallout 3 and Alan Wake probably aren't the best games to test this with because they've both have had sound issues in Wine/CrossOver for quite some time (Fallout 3 has problems with the Pip-Boy radio not playing & causing crashes, while Alan Wake's sound has been very intermittent with no apparent logic behind whether it'll work fully, work partially or not at all).

Still, the other games I've tested had no sound issues in CrossOver 13.0.1 on Mint 15. As far as I can tell the crackling sound issue only happens with Wine/CrossOver - sound works perfectly in all native games & other software that I've tried so far. It's very odd, because aside from this issue sound in Mint 16 is working better for me than it was in Mint 15.

I have had similar problems with Arch for some time now.

I would say that this is first a driver issue, since some systems will not experience this. But I would also add that shutting down pulseaudio aslo tends to "cure" the problem completly. I say "tends to cure", because some software has continued to crackle, even without pulseaudio getting in the way. Still, chances are your sound problems will go away if pulseaudio is not used during their execution.

In case you're wondering, the command to shutdown pulseaudio is:

pulseaudio -k

I know that Gentoo sets up 32 bit alsa incorrectly nowadays and breaks sound in 32 bit apps that do not natively use PulseAudio. See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7060060.html?sid=01caaefa109f14a206a3213b247cb538#7060060 for details and a workaround. This may apply to other distributions as well.

Since native software sound is just fine (for both Mint and Arch), I doubt this is a 32 / 64 bit issue. Somehow, Wine / Crossover doesn't work well with recent pulseaudio or recent drivers. I doubt that the issue noted in the post goes further than Gentoo.

Hi Guys
Well Think about this. In OpenSuse 13.1 64bit with Crossover 13.1 I have no sound issues on all of my AMD systems the problem only exists on Intel 64bit systems. If I test on vanilla wine I find no sound issues at all.in AMD or Intell.

It would be interesting to see whether this sound problem affects only Intel systems and only some implementations of the ALC892 codec. On my Asus P8P67-LE mobo aplay -l shows this:

silviu@pangolin:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]

The HDMI stuff is from my GTX 660. This onboard audio has been working just fine since Ubuntu 10.04 up to 13.04. I'm starting to feel lucky that 12.04 is going to be maintained until 2017 :/

Well I've tested a number of native Linux games from my Humble Store account as well as some other native software trying to find anything that has similar problems with sound but so far everything I've tried works fine (no crackling, distortion or other issues at all)... it just seems to be CrossOver that's having issues.

These are my system specs:

Intel Core i7-2600k
Asus P8P67 Pro
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570

Linux Mint 16 KDE 64-bit

Output of aplay -l =

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I have gotten rid of every sound problem i had. I edited /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and changed default fragments and default fragment size to default-fragments = 10 default-fragment-size-msec = 3 and killed pulseaudio with killall pulseaudio

Greetings Julian

Very interesting. Thanks for posting your solution.

I plan to wait until the next version of CrossOver comes out & see what the situation is then before I start making system changes etc... as I said before, I have absolutely no sound issues at all on my system (in fact sound seems to work better than it did before) except with CrossOver.

Hmm, I've found another game that seems to be immune to the crackling sound issue in CrossOver - System Shock 2. Although you need to go into audio settings and set "Hardware Acceleration: OpenAL", as any other setting results in crackly sound. The STALKER games (which also don't have the crackling sound problem) use OpenAL too...

OpenAL goes through the equivalent Linux or Mac library and skips Wine's sound system entirely (unless you override openal32.dll to native), so it's not surprising that it would behave differently.

I thought I fixed it, but now my native games sometimes have crackling sound.
EDIT: I read an ubuntu documentation about the configuration of the pulse audio driver documentation, it is quite old but it says something about the buffer size so i increased default-fragment-size-msec = 3 to 30 and now everything works. Native games, crossover games and native applications like flash player.

Greetings Julian

I upgraded to Mint 17 and CrossOver 13.2.0 this weekend... unfortunately I'm still getting very crackly sound in CrossOver :/

This is problem is unique to CrossOver - nothing else on my system has crackly sound, including regular Wine installed via PlayOnLinux

1 to 24 of 24

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWUpYTjVZVkUyVUNNczczYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9