CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

iRacing on 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04 on AMD-based laptop

I'm trying to get iRacing to run on one of my Linux laptops. Supposedly, it will run on a 64 bit Linux box, using Crossover/Wine. However, when I try to launch, I get errors. If I use the open source X.org generic driver, the error is of the form: "Failed to initialize the 3D renderer. Is DirectX installed?". If I install one (of two) of the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, the Auto-Configure Graphic Options window opens, but stops with the message, "The program iRacingSim.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. This can be caused by a problem with the program or a deficiency in Wine."

I have been exchanging emails with the iRacing tech support, but I'm not optimisitic that they know enough to help. It seems to be an issue with the graphics engine, so I'm asking around these parts. It would be helpful if I could find/configure log files to help pinpoint the problem. Any ideas?

Well, did you install directx in the bottle? Since you didn't say, the question is appropriate. In terms of directx, Crossover doesn't support past directx 9.

Second, sometimes cards don't get recognized properly and some registry hack is necessary. Unfortunatly, I can't remember what exactly the registry entry is, but you might want to search for that on these forums or ask the staff through a support ticket. Not that I'm convinced this part of your problem at all.

Lastly, since you are on 64bit, do you have the 32bit libraries installed for your card? For instance, I have lib32-nvidia-libgl and lib32-nvidia-utils for my card. You would have to get the equivalents for your card and its driver.

As for the debug log, there's a pretty good basic how-to right here. There are a bunch of options, but I'm not too sure what would be of use for you.

Thank you for your interest. Your (sensible) questions are not easy to answer, as the iRacing installer does not make the crossover installation explicit. There is a ".deb" file which installs the crossover and iRacing software. Once installed, the iRacing service runs as a daemon, and opens a web browser to connect to the "members" iRacing site. It took several tries to get the web site to recognize that the daemon was running. Now that it does, I get the errors described in the OP, depending on the display driver in use.

Usually, with a full (and explicit) install of Crossover, we have a utility called cxdiag. It is usually found in /opt/cxoffice/bin. That is a command line utility which make a list of suggested libraries and the reason for them. I don't know if that utility was packaged with your software, but if it did, you might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Just for fun, you might want to run:

sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 lib32nss-mdns libgnutls26:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxcomposite1:i386 libosmesa6:i386 libopenal1:i386 libmpg123-0:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 liblcms2-2:i386 libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 libgsm1:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxi6:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libsane:i386 libudev1:i386 libxml2:i386 libcups2:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libice6:i386 libsm6:i386

(taken from here.)

That will make sure you have all basic libraries. That still leaves the question of your 32bit video card drivers, as you must have those on your system. For example, if you use xf86-video-ati, you also need lib32-ati-dri. Now those are the package names I'm used to on Arch, the names on Ubuntu probably vary, but it gives you an idea what to look for. The catalyst drivers has other 32bit files for the 64bit driver.

That's about all I can muster right now.

Hi Mark,

J-P is right that you can use the cxdiag utility to find missing packages. On your system, it should be installed in </opt/iracing/bin/cxdiag>. You'll want to look for packages related to graphics or sound. Probably you were missing your 32-bit proprietary drivers.

You can find more information about installing missing graphics drivers here: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/MissingLibGL

You can also find information about each cxdiag message here: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag

If cxdiag isn't complaining anymore, you might be running into a crash in iRacing itself. One common issue is that sometimes iRacing gets misconfigured to try to use too much video card memory, which causes crashes. You can try editing <$HOME/iRacing/renderer.ini> and set VidMemMB to a value about 100MB below your actual graphics card maximum. This might resolve the crash.

If neither of those solutions help, post back here and we'll try digging deeper.

Andrew

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRVZOdmIyNVgyaHRKNXA3ZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9