CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows applications as default in linux system

How do I set up a crossover application to be the default when running from linux.

For example, I have Irfanview set up under crossover (14.1.1) but double clicking on a jpg file doesn't open in Irfanview.

I think that I need the incantation for starting Irfanview to put into the default applications settings

You can right-click on the file, go to Properties -> Open With tab, select your fav viewer and press "Set as default".

The thing is that you said Linux and it's better to specify which distribution or desktop environment (Unity, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc) you are using. What I've described above works for Unity/Gnome as both use Files (aka Nautilus) as file manager.

Right click on the file select properties and then (File Type Options) If your app is listed move it to the top if it is not listed click (add) and then select from the launcher settings. This is the same way you would do it in Windows.
KDE here

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

You can right-click on the file, go to Properties -> Open With tab,
select your fav viewer and press "Set as default".

The thing is that you said Linux and it's better to specify which
distribution or desktop environment (Unity, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc)
you are using. What I've described above works for Unity/Gnome as
both use Files (aka Nautilus) as file manager.

Mint 17.1 with KDE

I have Irfanview in the list of programs for opening, but if I move it to the top above gwenview (for example), next time I look it has gone down the list again.

David Anderson wrote:

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

You can right-click on the file, go to Properties ->
Open With tab, select your fav viewer and press "Set as default".

The thing is that you said Linux and it's better to specify which
distribution or desktop environment (Unity, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc)
you are using. What I've described above works for Unity/Gnome as
both use Files (aka Nautilus) as file manager.

Mint 17.1 with KDE

I have Irfanview in the list of programs for opening, but if I move
it to the top above gwenview (for example), next time I look it has
gone down the list again.

Are you clicking (Apply) after moving it up?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYkpXQVJTM01kUHFXWXQ2OSIsImdkcHIiOjB9