CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How do I install Office 2013 from the Office 365 website?

I'm very excited to hear that MS Office 2013 is not supported in Crossover 16. I have upgraded to the newest version and now I'm not sure how to install Office 2013 on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. When I go to the Office 365 website and try to download and install Office 2013, I get a message that says "You can only install office on PC or MAC". How should I install Office 2013?

Thank you for asking!

This is tricky, and one of the main questions we have is how our users will expect to install Office 2013. So it's good to hear from someone who actually has the problem.

This is mostly a matter of the web-browser's user-agent as far as we know. I say "mostly" because some versions of Office 365 appear to offer a Windows .exe download even when you log into office.com from a Linux browser without resetting the user-agent.

One thing we have done internally to work around this is to first install Firefox 45 from within CrossOver itself, then download an Office 2013 installer using that web browser. That way, office.com sees a windows user-agent and offers the correct installer for download. Note that when you do this, Firefox appears to save the resulting .exe in ~/Documents/Downloads by default. (This can make it difficult to find if you do not know where to look.)

We considered embedding a browser component withing CrossOver's GUI and setting the user-agent string, just for this purpose. However, given that we saw variation and are not certain how real users will experience the install, we did not want to go that route right away.

However, feedback about whether this is a point of pain, and how much pain it causes, is important to us.

In the meantime, does that help you get Office 2013 installed?

First of all, how do you get an offline installer if you're running windows?

I rdp'ed into a windows host, then went to office 365 portal, but there is no way I can find to download the offline installer?

Is there some document that explains this process?

Well, I installed Firefox 45 through Crossover and was able to download the installer just like you said. Once Firefox 45 was installed I was able to download the installer exe file. Opened the exe file with CO16 and asked me to select an application. I searched for office 2013 and proceed with the install. At the end of the installation, nothing happen. I see no office 2013 installed even after doing a reboot.

Did you see the Office 2013 installer come up and guide you through the install process? CrossOver's software installer will hand the installation off to the Office installer, which will then download Office. It should show you a progress indicator and display some GUI, but the install itself can take a while because of the downloadable content.

Does any of that happen for you, or do you get no Office installer GUI at all? (There should be a couple of windows. The first one is mostly red and says something like 'getting ready...,' then the next is red text on a white background and shows a percent complete. The final one is also red on white, but larger and interactive. Any of that show for you?

If not, we may want to move this to our bug tracker.

No, the office installer never came up. I'm very disappointed. Maybe it will work on the next patch.

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

I've successfully installed Office 2013 via office.com using login details provided by my education center.

After installing a user agent switcher and choosing Windows I logged in on office.com. Under the blue "Install Office 2016" at the upper right I selected "Other installs".

I was then forwarded to a new page where I scrolled to the bottom and expanded the item "Install Office 365 ProPlus with the 2013 apps". Then I selected my preferred language and downloaded a 32-bit version of Office 2013.

My file was called "Setup.X86.da-dkO365ProPlusRetail(...)_TXPR.exe" (not an offline installer) and it installed without any issue in a beta release of CX16.

I also was able to install via the "install options" on office.com - and you don't need to use a user agent switcher to get there.

Just goto office.com, My Account, Install, Language and install options, additional install options, select Office 2013 32-bit, and click Install. It downloads the 32-bit Setup EXE.

The problem is that via that install method, even though everything seems to install ok, if I launch any Office 2013 app, the screen is black... seemingly functional.. but completely black.

If instead, I install Office 2013 Pro direct from ISO. It installs perfectly, and works perfectly. But of course, the Office 365 license does not work with it.

I've searched for a standalone Office 2013 Home + Business iso to try, but no luck so far.

-Bob

Did you install both the .iso version and the downloaded Office 365 installer using the Microsoft Office 2013 crosstie from the CrossOver software installer?

I'm surprised that the .iso would result in an Office install which displays, but the 365 installer would not, on the same machine.

The Office 2013 Pro install was from the crosstie install option.

With just the setup*exe file, I wasn't able to use the crosstie.. but perhaps i was doing something wrong. I just tried to mimic the bottle as far as installed applications/OS version go.

Bob Blanchard Jr. wrote:

The Office 2013 Pro install was from the crosstie install option.

With just the setup*exe file, I wasn't able to use the crosstie..
but perhaps i was doing something wrong. I just tried to mimic the
bottle as far as installed applications/OS version go.

The Crosstie should work with the Setup.exe installer also. Just search for "Office 2013" in the CrossOver software installer search box and select the Office 2013 crosstie. Then in the step that asks you to select an installer, use the file picker to navigate to the Setup.exe installer you downloaded and it should go from there.

If you do that, does the resulting Office install work correctly?

(And, if something in particular was difficult about using the crosstie with the setup*.exe installer, I'd be interested to hear what that was. Maybe we can improve the process to make it easier.)

Josh DuBois wrote:

The Crosstie should work with the Setup.exe installer also. Just
search for "Office 2013" in the CrossOver software installer search
box and select the Office 2013 crosstie. Then in the step that asks
you to select an installer, use the file picker to navigate to the
Setup
.exe installer you downloaded and it should go from there.

If you do that, does the resulting Office install work correctly?

(And, if something in particular was difficult about using the
crosstie with the setup*.exe installer, I'd be interested to hear
what that was. Maybe we can improve the process to make it easier.)

Ok, so I've gotten farther. Because I first tried install with the mounted ISO (office 2013 pro), next time i tried, it remembered the ISO mount, and at first, I didn't see how to change it.. you have to kinda unwind installation options, and re-select install option and then setup.exe file. That worked. No more black screen.

BUT, it doesn't seem to activate properly.. I get the dialogs for activating, I sign in and I have available licenses - it seems to go ok, and then I get "Microsoft Activation Wizard" that keeps popping up. If i try to activate again, it says generic "problem occurred" message, and I have to cancel out. I've exited and restarted a few times.. same problem keeps happening.

Also, I can open existing documents, but not create new ones.. perhaps this is due to the licensing issue though. If i try to create a document, I get "Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space.".. which I know isn't the actual problem.

OK, solved it.. I closed all crossover windows.. and killed any remaining wine processes (wineserver and winedevice.exe).. then I restarted crossover.. and now the activation seems to have taken.. and I can create new docs too.

Thanks for your assistance.. great work by the CrossOver team!

Bob Blanchard Jr. wrote:

OK, solved it.. I closed all crossover windows.. and killed any
remaining wine processes (wineserver and winedevice.exe).. then I
restarted crossover.. and now the activation seems to have taken..
and I can create new docs too.

Thanks for your assistance.. great work by the CrossOver team!

Hmm ... OK. I was about to forward this to our ticket system, but it sounds like you're up and running. I'm glad to hear it!

I'm not sure what the issue with needing to kill wine processes by hand was. We may still have an issue here to track down. We'll keep an eye out for that, but for now, I'm happy it works for you. Thanks for your persistence and your responses: it's helpful to know how things are working for our customers in the real world.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I attempted to install Office 2013 with crosstie and I get an error message that says "An error occurred while installing Microsoft Office 2013" "The installer has exited but Microsoft Office 2013 does not seem to be installed". I have the option to Try Again, Skip This Step, and Cancel Installation. It won't install.

I also have an educator account and use Office 365. Once I'm logged into Office 365, I click on Settings / Software - Install Software and then I get a screen that says "You can only install office on PC or Mac" and do not have the option to download the link.

What am I doing wrong?

I haven't tried the iso.option because that would mean I would have to purchase a copy when I could get it for free.

Hi SilverHawk,

I think our support staff sent you a follow-up to a ticket I opened from this thread on December 15th. Have you tried following back up with them?

Some users are encountering actual bugs, but in this case I think we may be able to help you get it working.

For what it's worth, the problem of the Microsoft website telling you that you can't install except on Mac or PC is a known issue. Not all accounts appear to hit it, but if you do, you can work around it by installing FireFox 45 using CrossOver. Then navigate to your home directory/Documents/Downloads, and the .exe installer you downloaded will be there.

However, I think it would be easier to troubleshoot in our ticket system as opposed to this forum. I see two open tickets - you can respond to either one.

Regards,

Josh

Yes, I had tried the installing Firefox 45 from Crossover and installing it that way. It did allow me to download the file but did not install. I'll try it again today. If it works out, which version is recommended to be installed the 2013 32-bit or 64-bit OR the 2016 32-bit or 64-bit?

I deleted the ticket emails because I thought I would get a better response in this forum. Could they resend the emails or is there a way I can see the tickets in my account?

SilverHawk wrote:

Yes, I had tried the installing Firefox 45 from Crossover and
installing it that way. It did allow me to download the file but
did not install. I'll try it again today.

Hmm...Ok. This sounds like something we'd want to look into.

I deleted the ticket emails because I thought I would get a better
response in this forum. Could they resend the emails or is there a
way I can see the tickets in my account?

I'll re-send email from one of the tickets (the two tickets are quite similar, so not much need to duplicate). You're welcome to pursue whichever avenue you like and it's certainly possible someone in the forums will give you the answer that does the trick for you. For an issue like this, though, our ticket system is easier for us in that it allows us to track your individual issue and possibly gather logs, etc. in the case that we need to file a bug.

I tried installing it once more through the Firefox 45 method and it worked this time. I was able to install Office 2013 32-bit version. I was trying to install the 64-bit version before so maybe that had something to do with it.

Thank you all for your help and happy holidays!

There is some bad news on this front. As of 2/28/2017 you can no longer download Office 2013 via Office 365.

1 to 20 of 20

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVUc0V0s0Q2FxU1h4cnVkWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9