CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Side-by-side install on multi-user system - prevent global menu changes

Hi,

I'm doing a side-by-side install of CX 16.0, as per https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-linux/sidebyside , but I want to prevent a global menu change - on ubuntu 14.04.

I've used cxrepackage to create a new deb, and done "dpkg --unpack" on newly created deb.

Before running dpkg --configure, I'm looking at tweaking the locate_gui.sh/cxmenu scripts to NOT make global menu changes, as I don't want any of my users to "know" of this install, but I don't want to otherwise break the install.

I'm thinking of just adding this in locate_gui.sh:

if [ $debian_menu_on -eq 1 ]
then
        desktop_menu_ignore_list="$desktop_menu_ignore_list:CXMenuDebian$debian_preferred_menu"
fi

Just wondering if this is the best approach, or if anyone can recommend something else.

-Bob

Just confirming that my "fix" did not work.. I had to manually alter /usr/share/applications|desktop-directories to get them off of the global menus. But for future, it would be a nice install option.. to not affect global menus.

The instructions you linked are for doing system-wide installs side-by-side.

To install CrossOver in a single user account, use the Generic Shell Installer. Make sure you run it as a regular user, not as root (running as root will do a system-wide install).

To install multiple versions of CrossOver in a single user account, see this faq entry: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/cxofficemultiplecopies

Actually I do want a system-wide side-by-side install .. but its a corporate environment and we have tight controls over system-wide menus.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYWhYQXVlV0t5aFhCUXlOdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9