CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam game crashing without any error message

Hello!

I'm trying my hardest to run USF4 (Ultra Street Fighter 4) from Steam on Ubuntu through Crossover.

I bought Crossover, created a new Windows XP bottle. I installed Steam, USF4 from Steam, then I installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, then I installed DirectX9, all from the official sources in Crossover, and when I try to run the game on Steam, a little Steam window pops up, tries to install DirectX, then it closes, the game starts for 5 seconds, but always crashes before the nVidia animation arrives. There are no error message or anything. I have no idea what might cause this.

I desactivated the Steam overlay (I read on this forum that it could make games bug on Crossover).

Here is everything I got installed on my bottle: http://i.imgur.com/0Qlk5kl.png (it's an image link)

I don't get it though, because the guy in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHbMFuGAY74 (it's a YouTube link), said that he got it to work only by installing .NET 3.5 SP1. And it doesn't work on my computer... I'm sad.

If someone could help me, that would be absolutely amazing!

What specs are you ruuning the game on?
What video card? Driver?
Any problems running other games on steam? (possibly with similiar requirments)

Try running steam from Linux Console, then start the game and paste the log here (with pastebin servcie) I (and the others) can heve a look on anything leading to a problem.

Through Crossover, you mean?

I tried running the Steam executable with a log writing, but the log is
highly incomplete, and I'm pretty sure Crossover stops logging as soon
as Steam is done loading.

How can I run a console through Crossover? I'm totally new to this software
so sorry if it's obvious.

Okay, so I reinstalled everything in my bottle, .NET 3.5, SP1, DirectX9 and DirectX Modern, I added winegstreamer.dll in Wine's libraries as some users suggested for other games with similar bugs, I turned off the RenderingThread for USF4 like some other users suggested for SFxT, but nothing works. I keep getting obscure error messages, and nothing seems to fix anything, so I guess I'll wait another 5 years to give gaming on unix systems another chance...

Uh, sorry. Some friend (who tried to help me) logged in and didn't log out. The above message was from me.

Leblanc Paul wrote:

Okay, so I reinstalled everything in my bottle, .NET 3.5, SP1,
DirectX9 and DirectX Modern, I added winegstreamer.dll in Wine's
libraries as some users suggested for other games with similar bugs,
I turned off the RenderingThread for USF4 like some other users
suggested for SFxT, but nothing works. I keep getting obscure error
messages, and nothing seems to fix anything, so I guess I'll wait
another 5 years to give gaming on unix systems another chance...

Well, it's your choice of course but does it make sense to give up without trying at least?

1. You didn't answer my questions abot the spec and the driver (sadly, important details)
  2. Find the steam crossover shortcut, right-click it, there should be a path to it, paste that path into the terminal and lauch the game, then capture the errors.

Cheers

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibXZKS0JLZnJXazdlYlM0RiIsImdkcHIiOjB9