CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Foxit Reader 7.06 no longer prints

I have been using Foxit Reader quite happily for over a year on a Linux Lite Xfce system. After a recent reinstall after a a system crash and the installation of the latest version, I find that Foxit Reader no longer prints.

It does talk to the printer and manages to get it to go through the motion of printing, but then it just stops. It seems the document has been sent to the printer okay but then nothing happens.

I checked cups and there is no error file. I can print use the Cups "print to PDF" and then print with PDF Viewer but it would be nice to not have to go through these extra steps.

Any ideas welcome.

My first idea is that Foxit reader is available in a Linux native version. I just checked and it is in ArchLinux's AUR, so other distros should offert it in some of their repos.

As for the printing issue itself, I'm none too sure of the cause. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

The linux version of foxit is ancient and not even maintained anymore (the build date is somewhere in 2009)

I grabbed the latest version of Foxit and installed it on my machine (running Ubuntu 14.04 64bit) and tried to print from two PDF files. One is a mobo manual and the other one is a postal form. Both came out correctly.

Can you stick the output of /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag on pastebin and link it here?

I guess, but then there are plenty of stuff to edit/modify/view pdf in the Linux ecosystem...

Evince is enough for the basic things, but filling out forms, even if they do not contain javascript is still a problem.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=733275

I can edit it in Chrome and fields autocomplete, but not in Firefox because they don't support it.

I just installed in CrossOver 14.0.3 on OpenSuse 13.2 64bit all works for me NO Printing Issues I did select " Install as Default system Printer" during the install. Are you shore you don't have other printing problems?

Thanks everyone for you replies. I really appreciate it.

This is the output of cxdiag from my text editor.

ELF

Seems a little short of info.

John

You're supposed to run cxdiag not open it in a text editor. It's a command line application.

Open a terminal window, paste /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag press the Enter key. Copy and paste the output here between [code][/code] or on pastebin.

Oh!

Here is the code after running the script:

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="NVIDIA Corporation"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="GeForce GTX 560 SE/PCIe/SSE2"

john@john-Linux-Lite:~$ 

The cxdiag output looks ok. Nothing in particular there that could affect printing.

Since you can print to PDF successfully the issue probably lies with Crossover passing print data from the program to the particular driver for your printer. Try deleting the printer in Linux and re-adding it to see if that gets it working. Double-check the printer is using the correct PPD. Or try adding the printer differently (network IP vs SMB).

Sincere thanks. Deleting and reinstalling the printer fixed the problem.

Hi there again,

I spoke too soon (see above). Foxit Reader 7.0.6 xxx prints randomly after reinstalling the printer drivers as suggested. Mostly it doesn't print.

Since then I reinstalled (after a removal of the Foxit Reader bottle) Foxit Reader 7.0.6 again, but the same printing issue persisted.

I have since removed version 7 and installed (from and old saved download) Foxit Reader 6.1.2.xxxx and it has printed flawlessly since then.

I am happy that I can now print but I hope the printing issue doesn't persist in the new versions. I will post once a newer version is released and see how it performs.

Thank you one and all for your help.

John

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVHNxUExKNHdQZWhrQ2ZuViIsImdkcHIiOjB9