CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[solved] Windows Program not starting

Hello,
I user MS Office 07 in Crossover 12.5 and it works fine. Now I wanted to user it on my other PC. I exported it as an cxarchiv-File and imported that archive on my Laptop where I installed Crossover 14. Then it works there very well. But I had to downgrade on my second PC to 12.5 because I don't own a license for 14 but on my second PC Office does not start. I just get the error:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Unknown error (127).

Can you help me and explain why it does not work on my second PC with the same Version of Crossover?

Are you using Linux on both computers, or is/are one or both of them a mac?

I recommend to delete the bottle and re-import the archive using CrossOver 12.5. We don't test bottle downgrades thoroughly, it's quite possible that CrossOver 14 set a registry key that breaks CrossOver 12.5.

I am using archlinux on both computers. One is 32bit the other 64bit. I already tried to uninstall and delete the bottle then do a clean 12.5 install and import the archive but I always get the same error.

xacameheni wrote:

I am using archlinux on both computers. One is 32bit the other
64bit. I already tried to uninstall and delete the bottle then do a
clean 12.5 install and import the archive but I always get the same
error.

Which one is it not working on? Also, can we see the output of:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

or

~/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag

The above depends on how you installed CrossOver.

cxdiag says:

[MissingLibICE]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libICE.so.6 library"
"Description"="Without this library neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work."

[MissingLibSM]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libSM.so.6 library"
"Description"="Without this library neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work."

[MissingLibAsound]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libasound.so.2 library"
"Description"="This is the preferred way to provide audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibCups]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcups.so.2 library"
"Description"="Needed to print to printers managed by the CUPS system, which is most likely the case. It is strongly recommended for office-type applications."

[MissingLibFontconfig]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libfontconfig.so.1 library"
"Description"="Makes it possible to find and use the system's TrueType fonts. This is strongly recommended for office-type applications."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibGstapp]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgstapp-0.10.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and multimedia applications."

[MissingLibGstreamer]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and multimedia applications."

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibJpeg]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libjpeg.so.62 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that use JPEG images in their user interface. The lack of this library may result in black icons."

[MissingLibLber]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit liblber-2.4.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access LDAP servers."

[MissingLibLcms]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit liblcms.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides color profile information to Windows applications. This is particularly useful if you have color-calibrated your screen but some applications need it even if you have not done so."

[MissingLibLdap_r]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libldap_r-2.4.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access LDAP servers."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOpenal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libopenal.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides audio support to Windows applications."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[MissingLibV4l1]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libv4l1.so.0 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access video devices."

[MissingLibXcomposite]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXcomposite.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed for most CAD-like applications and some games."

[MissingLibXcursor]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXcursor.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use color mouse pointers. This is mostly useful for some games."

[MissingLibXinerama]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXinerama.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed if your display spans multiple screens. If your computer has a single screen then you don't need it."

[MissingLibXml2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxml2.so.2 library"
"Description"="This library makes it possible for Windows applications read and write XML files."

[MissingLibXrandr]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXrandr.so.2 library"
"Description"="This is needed to let games adjust the display resolution as needed. It is strongly recommended to install it if you plan to use games."

[MissingLibXrender]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXrender.so.1 library"
"Description"="Windows applications can work without this library, but its absence is likely to cause display artifacts."

[MissingLibXslt]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxslt.so.1 library"
"Description"="This library lets Windows applications perform queries and transformations on XML files."

[MissingLibXxf86vm]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libXxf86vm.so.1 library"
"Description"="This is needed to let games perform some gamma adjustments (essentially to adjust the brightness)."

[MissingLibCrypto]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcrypto.so library"
"Description"="This library provides support for secure Internet communication."

[MissingLibSsl]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libssl.so library"
"Description"="This library provides support for secure Internet communication."

[MissingLibGnutls]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgnutls.so library"
"Description"="This is needed by applications that perform encryption or check online certificates."

[MissingLibPng]
"Level"="Require"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libpng*.so library"
"Description"="On Unix systems this is needed to extract the desktop menu icons. It is also needed by some applications that use PNG images in their user interface in which case its lack results in black icons."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[MissingLibGL]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libGL.so.1 library"
"Description"="Provides hardware-accelerated Direct3D and OpenGL support. This is used for games, but also for CAD applications."

[OpenglNotWorking]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL does not work"
"Description"="OpenGL did not work in our simple tests. This means OpenGL and DirectX applications, including most games, will likely not work. Other applications should be unaffected."

Not working is the 64bit System. Looks like I have to install this missing libs? Does Crossover 14 does not need them any more or why is it working?

For 64bit machines, you will need to enable multilib for archlinux in your /etc/pacman.conf by uncommenting the following lines near the bottom of the file.

[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

The following will need to be installed to compile some of the dependencies which are only available from AUR pacman -S [--noconfirm] base-devel

As a user, I would suggest installing yaourt from AUR, as some of the dependencies needed by crossover are only available in AUR, and yaourt usually does a wonderful job of handling the download, compile, and installation of those dependencies.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/yaourt/
(dependency) https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/package-query/

If you install the user made crossover package from AUR, the majority of needed the needed dependencies will shown. Also, yaourt can handle the installation all of them for you. yaourt -S [--noconfirm] crossover

Otherwise, you will need to make sure the following packages are installed.
yaourt -S [--noconfirm] python2 glibc libice libsm libx11 libxext libxi freetype2 libpng zlib lcms2 alsa-lib libgl libxcursor libxrandr desktop-file-utils gstreamer0.10 mpg123 libgphoto2 libexif openal libcl pygtk python2-dbus libxinerama sane gnutls libcups libxcomposite libxslt v4l-utils gstreamer0.10-base libxxf86dga libxxf86vm glu python2 lib32-glibc lib32-libice lib32-libsm lib32-libx11 lib32-libxext lib32-libxi lib32-freetype2 lib32-libpng lib32-zlib lib32-lcms2 lib32-alsa-lib lib32-libgl lib32-libxcursor lib32-libxrandr desktop-file-utils lib32-gstreamer0.10 lib32-mpg123 lib32-libgphoto2 lib32-libexif lib32-openal lib32-libcl pygtk python2-dbus lib32-libxinerama lib32-sane lib32-gnutls lib32-libcups lib32-libxcomposite lib32-libxslt lib32-v4l-utils lib32-gstreamer0.10-base lib32-libxxf86dga lib32-libxxf86vm lib32-glu

Thank you. I will try it. I am just wondering that crossover 14 does not need those libs. Do you have any explanation for that?

I do not understand, could you rephrase your query?

William Overstreet wrote:

I do not understand, could you rephrase your query?

When I install crossover 14 it works without installing the packages you listed. Why does crossover 12.5 need the packages to start a windows program?

Edit: I just installed the packages that were required (not the recommend or suggested one; see the log file above) and now office starts. So there is no need to install things from the AUR. Perhaps the newer version of crossover uses the 64bit libs?

Last I saw, 14 was pretty adamant about installing missing dependencies, even on Archlinux.

The other is, I don't see any kind of error log, so missing dependencies might not be the issue, only the most likely at this point based on the given information.

Thank you for your help. The problem is solved know. Perhaps someone can mark the thread as solved, I don't know how to do that.
To sum up the solution was to run the cxdiag program and check its output. It says what packages are really required (the 64bit versions of that packages are mostly installed, so it is necessary to install the lib32* ones) so at least that packages should be installed.

With this resolved and because several experts are here, we've added content to our Arch linux page.

I would highly appreciate your eyes on this page:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/Arch

Is there anything we can add or polish that would be helpful?

You might mention that Crossover is in the AUR, and installing from the AUR will also pull the librairies needed, if the multilib is enabled. It will result with a system-wide installation that pacman is aware of, sort of like a installation with a deb or rpm.

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTGNyUnVHUXdHVVE1U0c4ZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9