CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to move the ~/.cxoffice folder?

I would like to have the bottles on another drive/partition, since I don't have space on my /home partition and, I think games will load a little faster if they are on a separate drive (I do that with my steam library folder.)

I think you may create a folder on another device/partition, then replace the .cxoffice folder with a link pointing to the folder you created. This might (probably) work. Please, backup your .cxoffice folder first...

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

I think you may create a folder on another device/partition, then
replace the .cxoffice folder with a link pointing to the folder you
created. This might (probably) work. Please, backup your .cxoffice
folder first...

Yes, I can confirm that this works. My /home folder is on a (slow) RAID HDD, but I wanted to run CX from a faster, non-RAID partition on an SSD, so I moved the .cxoffice directory. The steps are straightforward:

1. Close Crossover and any bottles that are running
  2. Move your .cxoffice folder to the desired location
  3. Symlink the .cxoffice directory back to it's original location in your home directory
  4. Start Crossover and everything should just work.

Ryan Kingsbury wrote:

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

I think you may create a folder on another
device/partition, then replace the .cxoffice folder with a link
pointing to the folder you created. This might (probably) work.
Please, backup your .cxoffice folder first...

Yes, I can confirm that this works. My /home folder is on a (slow)
RAID HDD, but I wanted to run CX from a faster, non-RAID partition
on an SSD, so I moved the .cxoffice directory. The steps are
straightforward:

1. Close Crossover and any bottles that are running
  2. Move your .cxoffice folder to the desired location
  3. Symlink the .cxoffice directory back to it's original location in
    your home directory
  4. Start Crossover and everything should just work.

I am a former Windows Xp user. I don't know what is a Symlink and how to do it from the GUI.

Carlos Sahajdacñy wrote:

I am a former Windows Xp user. I don't know what is a Symlink and
how to do it from the GUI.

A Symlink is just a shortcut. How to create one from the GUI depends on your distribution and desktop environment, but usually is something like this:

1. Use your file manager to open two windows, one for the target directory for .cxoffice and one at the original location (/home/<username>/)
  2. Drag the .cxoffice folder from the original to the new location
  3. (this step works for the Cinnamon desktop; the specific key combo might differ in other desktop environments like KDE or XFCE)
    Drag the .cxoffice folder from the NEW location back to the ORIGINAL location, but hold down CTRL and SHIFT while you do. You should see a little badge on the lower right hand corner of the folder that you are dragging change to a little infinity sign or something similar.
    NOTE: If you just drag and drop the folder, you'll move it back. If you hold down only CTRL, you will make a COPY of the folder, which isn't what you want.
  4. When you are finished, you should still see .cxoffice in the new location, and in the original location you'll see a .cxoffice icon with a little arrow on the lower right corner.

Let us know if you have trouble. You might want to test the steps above on a dummy folder to make sure you have the right key combo. Good luck!

Now I need to mount at start up the ext4 partition where the .cxoffice folder is now located.

The "disk" utility included in ubuntu 14.4 doesn't work... I can mount NTFS partitions at startup without any problem, but I don't have luck with ext4 partitions.

If you plug your external device after boot, it should appear on the "device manager" icon in your desktop bar. Then choose to open with file manager and it will be automatically mounted. At least, this works with KDE (Kubuntu).

If the external device is plugged since before booting, you need to add a line to your /etc/fstab file. Please search the web for the fstab syntax or something like "how to automatically mount ext4 fstab".

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

If you plug your external device after boot, it should appear on the
"device manager" icon in your desktop bar. Then choose to open with
file manager and it will be automatically mounted. At least, this
works with KDE (Kubuntu).

If the external device is plugged since before booting, you need to
add a line to your /etc/fstab file. Please search the web for the
fstab syntax or something like "how to automatically mount ext4
fstab".

Is not an external drive; is an internal drive in ext4 format...
There are two user accounts in this computer and both must have access to that ext4 drive.

An internal drive or partition with ext4 will work the same as an external drive plugged since before boot. Your solution is adding the line to the /etc/fstab file. Please, take care not to change anything in the lines that are already there, or you may become unable to boot. Backing up this file and having an emergency boot disk or pendrive may be a good precaution.

You will need to use a text editor in super-user mode to edit /etc/fstab. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact syntax of fstab, but it is something like:

<device> <mountpoint> ext4 <ext4options> 0 2

where device is something like /dev/sdb1 (they recommend to use UUID, instead of this format) and mountpoint is the path you want the device to be mounted (where you are going to use it with your file manager).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibjNxZVRlaGZnUFhZQ0c3YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9