CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CO v17.5 fails because of python-gtk2

I was on CO v16.2 and just upgraded to v17.5, on Ubuntu 16.04LTS. I installed the .deb file and that went fine. However, when I start /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover, it pops up a terminal to install python-gtk2 because it doesn't think it's there.

CrossOver needs your permission to install missing packages.
This operation must be run as root:
sh -c "apt-get update; apt-get install python-gtk2"

That fails. :( When I check I see:

dpkg -l | grep python-gtk2

ii python-gtk2 2.24.0-4ubuntu1
(installed python is at 2.7.12)

I did notice that when I installed that it said "Unpacking crossover:i386". My Ubuntu is a 64bit install. Could it be looking for 32bit python-gtk2 or even a 32bit python?

Searching in the forums, I did see 1 post from 4 years ago that was somewhat similar that said he had a broken python install. I've tried "apt-get install --resinstall python-gtk2 python" and that didn't help. Was there something else I should have done?

Any other suggestions on what to try?

Thanks,
Kevin

Look to see in the package manager/software center that python-gtk2 is installed and if you've not already did so install 32bit support.

Thanks for the pointer, Mike. I wondered if that was the issue and it was. So for those looking for an answer for this in the future, the winning command for those on 64bit systems is to do:

dpkg --add-architecture i386                     # if you haven't already done this, i had but it wasn't enough
apt-get install python-gtk2:i386 python:i386     # you must add "python:i386", what i was missing

You're welcome glad i could help.

CrossOver uses whatever version of python and pygtk are available, 64-bit or 32-bit. It does not make sense that replacing 64-bit python with 32-bit python would have helped.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUTlZWVBWc1JUZWt1NFBNWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9