CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Blizzard ending WinXP support

I have been running the bnet app with x64 starcraft II and heroes of the storm 2.0 flawlessly since crossover 16 was released, and the x86 versions on crossover 15. However, I have never been able to execute the bnet app on a win 7/8/10 bottle in either x86 or x64 arch. Blizzard has now announced the support for WinXP will end soon and the app will no longer run on the platform. I assume it will no longer work an an XP bottle either. Has anyone figured out how to install on a windows 7+ bottle reliably? I have not tried installing a standalone blizzard game without the app because I run an SSD and do not want to repeatedly write/delete 30gb of games.

I am looking for that answer as well.

I used to be able to use a x64 Win7 bottle, but a recent(ish) update to Battle.net app (prior to change to Blizzard App), broke everything. From what I see over on the appdb, regular wine has this issue too, not just Crossover or even PlayOnLinux.

I cant even find the cause of the error, i've gone through the lists line-by-line and can't find any differences between the installations. I have been windows free for almost a year and I do not want to even consider abandoning crossover/wine. I really hope dx 10/11 support is close as well.

Paige Chamberlain wrote:

I cant even find the cause of the error, i've gone through the lists
line-by-line and can't find any differences between the
installations. I have been windows free for almost a year and I do
not want to even consider abandoning crossover/wine. I really hope
dx 10/11 support is close as well.

DX10/11 support is close (sort of...). Thanks to Cyfer3, I was able to run Star Trek Online with POL running wine 2.8-staging. This game is having the same problem since all Game Manufacturers are migrating to Win 7 or above and DX11. Well, now the bad news. STO used to be a game that would run smoothly on my laptop with best graphics settings. Now, it has some texture glitches, needs to be set with very low graphics settings to offer a smooth playing. BUT this is all temporary, I hope. In time, with newer wine versions, we will be able to play our favorite games as before... The problem is, Crossover still uses wine 2.0 as a base, so Crossover needs to update quickly to the latest wine version or incorporate this Win 7 / DX11 enhancements. I may be no relevant user, but I'm sure this is a PRIORITY...

An update: I did finally test wine set to Win7 with the standalone executables (HeroesSwitcher_x64.exe -dx9 and SC2Switcher_x64.exe) and it works just fine. Unfortunately, this means manual patching of the games (ew) and no use of the bnet app voip as of now. I do not yet know how well manual patching works through wine.

I had submitted a ticket to support and this was their response.

[b]Hi Mike

Yes, we are working on this issue here actually. Hopefully we can fix this issue and get the Blizzard launcher to run in a bottle other than XP in the future.

Thanks
Vince[/b]

So hopefully we will be able to still play before Blizzard fully cancel's XP support.

I don't know about anyone else but I always use a win7 bottle

Up until very recently (Christmas 2016 give or take), I had a PoL and CX install of anything that I needed or I knew I would be tech support for to my friends. I am CX only now. PoL was nice because I could make things work in CX, duplicate them in PoL, and then hack away on a 64-bit prefix. This was my way of prepping for "the day". Well the day came. We gots 64 bit CX now! Sadly, at the same time, we lost BNet support (wine issue of some sort, not CX specifically). I have "mostly" gotten everything ported over now to 64-bit prefixes, with the sole exception of my BNet32 bottle.

Codeweavers: If you are reading this, is there something the community can do to help out? Cash, testing, whatever.

Frankly, I am not worried. Things just keep getting better for us linux geeks. RHEL/SLE are perfect for all usage cases now. RHEL6 was ... not ideal. RHEL7 is. Although a wee bit of a PITA still, bumblebee works now rather reliably. What hardware don't work right anymore that you can't smell being an issue a mile away? We are actually getting native ports, and what doesn't work in wine/CX we really DON'T want to work -- rootkit anticheat systems and DRM. As far as I am concerned I got my way. I can run my OS of choice and software of choice. And with regards to BNet, we have Blizz devs on our side. Just not the suits. I wonder if we all chip in for some bottles of good cognac and coke will do the trick like cookies did for Civ6 (https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civilization-vi-steamos-linux).

I not a fan of cognac but maybe some scotch and cigars

Hello,

does Codeweavers meanwhile have something new to report on the (Starcraft 2/ Blizzard ending WinXP support) problem?

Best regards
Michael

Blizzard is officialy ending Windows XP and Vista support on october 24th

Starcraft 2 don't run at 11th October. Support is over.

I can confirm that Starcraft 2 is not launching with Crossover 16.2.5 anymore.
I can provide OS + hardware details if needed but I strongly suspect there's something like a check for Windows XP going on at game launch on Blizzard's end now.

I can also confirm (14. October 2017) that Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is not launching with Crossover 16.2.5 anymore. I can also provide OS (Antergos/Archlinux - Wine 2.18 and Ubuntu Mate - Zesty with Wine 1.8.7) + Hardware details if desired by codeweavers? I don't understand why you can't install the game in a windows 7 bottle by now?!

What is the official statement of Codeweavers? Starcraft 2 is the main reason why I bought Crossover Linux. ☹️

Michael Seidel wrote:

I can also confirm (14. October 2017) that Starcraft 2 Wings of
Liberty is not launching with Crossover 16.2.5 anymore. I can also
provide OS (Antergos/Archlinux - Wine 2.18 and Ubuntu Mate - Zesty
with Wine 1.8.7) + Hardware details if desired by codeweavers? I
don't understand why you can't install the game in a windows 7
bottle by now?!

What is the official statement of Codeweavers? Starcraft 2 is the
main reason why I bought Crossover Linux. ☹️

They are working on it but as you know anything for LINUX takes time to get just look at video drivers or driver support. As for installing it in a Win 7 bottle you can that's not the issue they are having its with DirectX ( as far as I understand ).......... Sadly if Microsoft would work with Codeweavers on this it would be up and running.

David wrote:

They are working on it but as you know anything for LINUX takes time
to get just look at video drivers or driver support. As for
installing it in a Win 7 bottle you can that's not the issue they
are having its with DirectX ( as far as I understand )..........
Sadly if Microsoft would work with Codeweavers on this it would be
up and running.

No, it is not the issue they are having. You can run most blizzard applications with a -dx9 command option; Overwatch is the exception. Currently, whenever you use a winxp (x86 or x64) bottle, everything works fairly well (aside from starcraft 2 recently not working). Heroes of the storm works fine for me. However, the second it is switched to Win7/8/10, there is a random error which doesnt seem to make sense.

Oddly enough, I discovered Heroes of the Storm works FAR better with the Gnome environment as opposed to Unity, especially when minimizing or window-switching comes into play.

UPDATE: Windows XP no longer works. Go to wine configuration settings and set to Windows 2008 R2. Confirmed this works for SC2 and Heroes of the Storm.

Hello,

I try your tip but it doesn't work for me, when i launch the battle.net app, i have an "blizzard error" (and can send it to blizzard support).

Best regards.

After an update this was broken. At present, I am able to switch to Win 2003, start the app, then switch it to win 7/8/10 and start heroes or sc2 with the "switcher" -- not through the app. but it can update the games

ME too... just got a sweet new linux righ ubuntu based and want to play wow vry much so!

I just installed Ubuntu 17.10 and Crossover only to realize Diablo 3 runs poorly and graphics need to be turned down in order to be playable. I called the sales line for CrossOver to voice my purchase which I'll make tonight regardless but I wanted to specifically request that my purchase goes towards the blizzard application and performance issues.

I really hope it all works out soon

Roy Morris wrote:

I just installed Ubuntu 17.10 and Crossover only to realize Diablo 3
runs poorly and graphics need to be turned down in order to be
playable. I called the sales line for CrossOver to voice my purchase
which I'll make tonight regardless but I wanted to specifically
request that my purchase goes towards the blizzard application and
performance issues.

I really hope it all works out soon

I have a recommendation for people having these issues: Use the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I read an article about Wayland and Gnome having some issues with video acceleration (see link below). I imagine these problems will be fixed soon, but, in the meantime, I don't have any problems on the last LTS.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/ubuntu-uncertain-using-wayland-default

1 to 22 of 22

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMlQ4VzVIV011UjJ3elY1QiIsImdkcHIiOjB9