CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Potential User!

My Windows 10 crashed. I have installed Linux Mint on the computer (nice!). If I install Crossover, will it run the existing installation of Quicken (2012), or do Windows apps have to be installed new into Crossover?

Assuming you intend to run Linux and have only one hard drive, you have more to know than that. For instance, windows uses NTFS partitions by default, but that is a very Mircrosoft specific technology. There are ways to read NTFS hard drives under Linux, but would be about it.

For Linux distros, you probably will be running XFS or EXT4 partitions, which are popular choices. This means formatting your hard drive, and therefore data loss. If you intend to use a Linux distro, your first move is to back up your data entirely. This of course means that every software you intend to use must be reinstalled.

And more specifically to Crossover, each software is usually installed in its own environment, or bottle. That way, one software will not interfere with another. The consequence of this is that, normally, software must be installed via Crossover's interface.

The above is that safest answer I can give for most common scenarios.

I hope I made things clearer. If not, the manual can be found at: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-linux/index

Do you mean dual booting and running Quicken from the window partition? Don't think you can do that. There is a way to move the already installed program to crossover and create a launcher for it but you should just install it using crossover. I think you'll find it will work a lot better that way.

Hope this helps ya

Windows is so finicky! You work your self into a sweat to have a duel boot and then Windows gives you the blue screen of death. There is no recovery. You have to be smart and put everything in that you want. It takes three weeks to get everything just right. Everything works great for about six months. Then something goes south and I end up with another blue screen. I went through this scenario several times. So I stopped messing around and loaded Linux Mint with the attitude that I would not look back. So I am running full Linux. No Windows.

I know that I may have to have windows in a virtual box. But I have not cooled off enough for that yet.

So I would like to get Crossover to work on most of my old (XP to Win8) games and stuff. I have the disks and I have purchased a lot of stuff from GOG. But I can't get them to work on everything.

I have some Lucas Arts games from the 80s that I want to get up. But Crossover doesn't like it. When I had Wine working, It worked great. But I have upgraded Linux Mint 19, Wine no longer works. Does anyone working on this issue?

Does anyone know why crossover is not working on everything?

That (Window crashing and giving the BSOD) is my problem. I installed Mint to back up documents and photos, but that doesn't help with a progam like Quicken. I would like to pitch Quicken, and maybe Windows, but I haven't been able to persuade Spouse! Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Aaron Thorne wrote:

Does anyone know why crossover is not working on everything?

Because Microsoft doesn't actually publish the windows code...

Wine/Crossover could be viewed as a clean room re-implementation of a blackbox OS. You can't reverse engineer windows without giving MS some firepower to kill the project. So you have to go with what could be viewed as detective work, figuring out what needs to be done by what appears to be done in place of clues.

Along the way, it is unavoidable to have made incomplete or incorrect assumptions. When a software reveals those faulty assumptions, you correct your mistakes and go forward.

Makes sense. Another question... Has anyone put together an Arduino Programming Examples/Sketches disk? Maybe we could put this together and then donate proceeds towards the betterment of the users? I would pay $10 per disk, say about $5 profit and $5 paying the bills? It would save a lot of typing and debugging for the users. Also, it would help promote Arduino growth.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoickFaUnNRaGQ0UjJ1R1J1ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9