CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Interesting Office 2010 issue with "configuration progress" after quitting a bottle.

So, the last vestige of my mothers need for Windows is Office. She is unwilling to learn something else, arg.

I've successfully installed and activated Office 2010 in a Windows 7 bottle - from the look of it everything WORKS! wow. The only issue is that once a bottle is quit, or the computer is restarted, any launched Office program results in the "configuration progress" window, for whatever reason.

When this complete's it prompts for a "reboot" (LOL Windows bs.) Allowing it to do so hangs the processes, and it doesn't "do it" clicking "no" results in Office Whatever opening successfully, sometimes warning about safemode if it crapped out previously.

Now, from my research, it seems that this is related to OSPPSVC.exe or some kind of permissions issue related to the user privilege level office is being run as (or the "Networking Service" account not having the correct permissions).

I've seen suggestions that: "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" will solve the issue .. it does not, I've also tried entering the regedit registry editor and adding dword values for "NoReReg" under both word and outlook to no affect.

Can anyone shed light on this issue, aside from it everything works, but mother isn't going to be pleased about all the re configuring.

This is one of the pages I've been looking at to try and figure out what's happening: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2528748/microsoft-office-2010-professional-plus-configures-each-time-you-start

Thanks, hopefully someone knows as I'm stumped once again with how to solve Microsoft's tangled mess of rediculosity.

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/2-ways-get-rid-configuration-progress-window-starting-word/

the suggestion on that page, to rename the setup program does work - it takes awhile to load the program the first time a bottle is run but the user doesn't get the configuring progress window as a result of setup crapping out ... I wonder if I replace setup with a compiled small setup.exe of my own that just exits if it will reduce that wait

UPDATE: scratch that I thought it was working but Outlook puts back the setup.exe each time, and when "quit bottle" is run the "configuration progress" window is back. Do you ever get the feeling Windows is more like a virus than an operating system?

There's certainly some difference happening in between "quit bottles" that's causing this.... as once the window has been shown once the app loads straight away until the next quit bottle

UPDATE #2: so because the programs would put back a deleted setup.exe, and would replace my setup.exe (a hello world c program compiled without the printf hello world message included) I decided to chown it root, and chgrp root, giving other world users only execute permission, and guess what, I no longer see the "configuration progress" window ever. It takes awhile for the program to load tho- not sure what busywork Microslop has it doing in the background on load... anyways... if someone needs a compiled null program to have office run when it starts let me know :)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZWh1WlBYa0Y3M1pzcTh6MyIsImdkcHIiOjB9