CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

If Gnome's night mode crashes while running wine software

Hello,

After installing Office 2016 and Mendeley for my studies, I discovered -at the cost of my sight- that the wine programs would disable or crash the night mode or night light of Gnome, at least on Manjaro.

I found a solution to this on a reddit board, but nothing on the Crossover page, so i figured it could come in handy for someone some day. Here the solution, adapted from this reddit post

For Crossover users, you need to :
1) Close all Wine software that's opened
2) Open the user.reg file of your concerned wine bottle by running for example :
nano .cxoffice/#insert- name- of-your-bottle-here#/user.reg

3) Then, paste the following lines to the file, with some adjustments:

[Software\\Wine\\X11 Driver] 1269299093
"UseXVidMode"="N"
EOF

In my instance, I noticed that the other lines had fewer backslashes (\) and a different number, therefore, mine looked as follows:

[Software\Wine\X11 Driver] 1617715938
"UseXVidMode"="N"

You might have a different number or amount of backslashes yourself, adapt the line to your file.

Et voilà, that did the trick for me!
If you reopen the .reg file, you'll notice that your input merged with the "Sreendepth" line, because both are in the same source. It seems to be fine.

I hope this won't come in handy to many people, but in case, here it is!

Best regards, DP

I'd suggest using the "Run Command" option to run "regedit" to make these changes. It's much safer than editing the files directly.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZks5Z01tTFFVdjlMTjl2VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9