CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

i installed it but where is it?

seriously i am either stupid or theres something wrong.

i finally decided to purchase crossover linux. installed it. heck even the ubuntu 13.04 software center which i installed it through says its installed.

I cant find it anywhere. i click on the unity icon top left corner and start typing "cr" then "cross" and nothing appears.

furthermore i watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diLriAXMyM which is how to install crossover on ubuntu and unity and it says because of unity's alphabaticall sorting things wont appear and i am supposed to type "install" to find the installer. Uh. I still cant find squat!

lets start over again with some info. i have ubuntu 13.04 64bit. i downloaded and installed ia32-crossover_12.2.1-1_amd64.deb ... it says "installed" in the software center.

What gives?

Rebooted.

problem resolved.

I wish they would have said to reboot.

Linux should not require reboots! comeon codeweavers.

Linux doesn't require a reboot! (Save for kernel upgrades)

Actually, from what I see the problem lies with Unity and other desktop environments. Some, like unity, require a logout and logging back in for things to work, a reboot being overkill (but implies a logout for sure).

Remember that Ubuntu is Ubuntu, as it does not represent Linux as a whole. Just so you know, on my ArchLinux machine, running xfce, I neither need to log out or reboot, and menu entries work just fine, right after install. So the fact that Ubuntu might be doing things in funky way surely doesn't really concern Codeweavers that much. If there is a "comeon" to point a someone, I'd look at the Ubuntu side of things.

I don't want to start a distro war, as I started on Ubuntu myself. It remains that the "user friendlyness" implies some odd behaviors which are entirely anti-user, like what you've just experienced. When you automate too much, things get funny, the extreme of Windows being the worst example.

We've had all kinds of problems like this on various distros in the past couple of years - we will solve or mitigate one and another will crop up. It's not just Unity and Ubuntu - for a while Gnome 3 on Fedora was giving essentially random results depending how much of the word 'CrossOver' you had typed, with, iirc, the last few letters of the 'Over' causing the icon to disappear entirely from the search results. There was another issue, on Ubuntu, where our desktop files simply failed to create shortcuts at all, owing to Unity's failure to display them when colon (':') characters were present in filenames. I believe the Gnome 3 thing had resolved itself to a degree at some point, and the colon-in-filename bug we saw fixed by a patch we sent upstream.

In short, yes, Ubuntu being our most popular distro, it should work and we want to keep it working. Things like rebooting or logging out and back in should not be necessary. At the end of the day, it is our software so it's our responsibility.

But, as I say, we've hit a lot of this kind of thing lately on various distros, and it hasn't always been clear how we'd fix them in our own code. I wasn't aware another of these had cropped up in Ubuntu 13 - thanks for pointing it out.

Anyway, sorry for the hassle, and I'm glad the shortcut is there now.

typically, in a Ubuntu type derivative, one does have to "Log out / Log In",

• this has been the case since Cx10

otherwise, the menu(s) don't always get created successfully.

• this applies to Cx itself, and often, to other <newly> installed software.

so, it does pay to "Log out / Log In", once you have installed something.

• you should not have to re-boot the PC, though.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic3N4dzQ4Z1dUQWF3YkNwWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9