CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

problen with graphics

Hi,
I have many problems with graphics at games.Civ5,BF2 etc.Actually every 3D games.There are many glithes,textures are flickerin,resolutions doesn't match etc.And many crashes and freezes.
Is there something I have made wrong?

To try and diagnose your problem, we will need the following:

1) Distro being used

2) Video card make and model

3) Driver in use including it's version.

The multiple factors which might give you trouble, and it's not necessarely something you have done wrong. Some driver are notorious for acting up with Wine/Crossover for instance. If your distro doesn't suggest or offer other drivers, you might not have to optimal one. But without more information, it's really hard to give you an answer.

J-P Simard wrote:

To try and diagnose your problem, we will need the following:

1) Distro being used

2) Video card make and model

3) Driver in use including it's version.

The multiple factors which might give you trouble, and it's not
necessarely something you have done wrong. Some driver are notorious
for acting up with Wine/Crossover for instance. If your distro
doesn't suggest or offer other drivers, you might not have to
optimal one. But without more information, it's really hard to give
you an answer.

1 Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

2 ATI radeon 5700

3 I have tested all drivers,everyone makes problem.Not for native games like steam linux games.

I'm sorry to hear that all drivers do that. Unfortunatly, my googling tell me that AMD/ATI drivers are, in facts, generally flaky when Wine technology is involved. If wine isn't involved, then the behavior is normal, as you see with native steam games. So I don't think there is much to do about the drivers.

That being said, we can start by adding a registry key which might help. In this case, choose a given bottle put in a glsl registry key. There is an example here. Both disable and enable to see if there is a difference.

This is a "per bottle" change and must be manually applied to each bottle. Just start with one game and play a while to see if things get better.

Otherwise, if the little registry hack doesn't help, I would suggest you open a support ticket. It's not that I don't want to help, but I figure Codeweavers staff would have a better understanding of what is going on, might it only be for the fact I have an Nvidia card.

tuomas näränen wrote:

1 Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

2 ATI radeon 5700

3 I have tested all drivers,everyone makes problem.Not for native
games like steam linux games.

I actually use Ubuntu 12.04, 64bit with an AMD 5750 card. I can't say I'm graphical glitch free but I also can't remember the last time I saw a graphical glitch.

Perhaps the madness is in the method. I found all too often that using the drivers included with Ubuntu was... maddening. However, the other solutions are very "techie" and can be problematic. Still, a solution had to be possible, right?

For several years I've followed the guides over at cchtml. If I want a quick and dirty install I use what the distro provides but otherwise I carefully pick my way through. The instructions there are by NO MEANS meant for a beginner. I do not recommend them lightly. This is a "use at your own risk"/"your mileage may vary" problem. As in, I cannot stress enough how easy it is to make a mistake and end up where your system is... foobarred. I am happy with the instructions though and it cuts a little deep in my heart when people say "AMD just doesn't work" because it does work for me.

So, without further rambling:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Precise_Installation_Guide

Please, please, please, read the instructions at a minimum of three times before you start should you choose this path. I have no great means to help if you mess up mostly because I'm not there to watch (and doing graphic driver trouble shooting is just not my cup of coffee at all). I offer this with no guarantees... only as help. This is what I use, I have similar hardware and it may work for you.

I like AMD as much as Nvidia. Both work and have warts. Neither has been particularly bug free or particularly more buggy than the other in my experience.

Hi Caron,

Like I said, it was my googling that lead to my comment. I have nothing against ATI/AMD personnally, and know that many have had great results. Yet, over the last few years I also read a whole bunch of complaints from AMD owners, much more than anything about Nvidia. But honestly, my knowledge of AMD card behavior has stopped being first hand about the same time I stopped using Windows regularly, which also is about the same time I first used Crossover... And ATI was ATI at the time.

Nonetheless, if you have to fool around so much that you have instructions to be read 3 times before executing, that might not be a very good sign. Indirectly, you are making the point that there is a problem, which is serious enough to have some complicated solution. You're not exactly convincing me that my next purchase will be AMD, but then I don't use Ubuntu either. Somebody, somewhere, is screwing with AMD owners running Linux (or is it Ubuntu specific?). Just to be clear, I have never had such problem with Nvidia+Linux, nor have I wanted/needed some "techie" solution for my Nvidia cards.

Nonetheless, I wonder if you have ever tried a PPA for AMD drivers? Perhaps that would be an intermediary solution, which would also be much safer and easier to execute. Since you haven't mentionned PPAs, I wondering if that might help. Is it worth a try?

I thought about it on my way home, trying to think of problems that I've seen in Civilization 5 or Battlefield 2 (what I believe your abbreviations mean). I know Civ5 had a rendering issue with the MacOS (but has a native version now) and I'm not coming up with a lot of reported trouble with it on Linux... I found one report of trouble in the forums that's a little concerning but no Support Ticket to go with it and in-house it's working. Battlefield 2 has all kinds of reports of trouble including failure to start on AMD systems (a very old report).

Then I started thinking about driver and rendering problems (I know of quite a few...) and how broad my statement was to say I "can't remember the last time I had a graphical glitch". I can and do. I filed a bug for it. It's ugly and requires an extra step for configuration but there's good news... the game runs without glitches once I take that extra step (it has to be run in a window).

I guess part of the problem is that we don't have an accurate description or screenshot of what you're seeing (you haven't told us which driver version you're using or provided say, the output of glxinfo or any of the like). So I can very broadly say that AMD drivers had problems with Ubuntu 12.04 when it first emerged but because I've kept my drivers on the edge, I see a lot of fixes (or the absence of glitches).

What J-P Simard provided (toggling UseGLSL) is a very tried and true method for graphical glitches. It helps with numerous scenarios for very varied reasons. My suggestion works too because Ubuntu 12.04 is a year old now and may not ship the latest drivers.

The point is... we need more information than what you've given to properly triage your issues (which may or may not be related and may or may not be a driver problem or a CrossOver/Wine problem).

J-P Simard wrote:

Nonetheless, if you have to fool around so much that you have
instructions to be read 3 times before executing, that might not be
a very good sign. Indirectly, you are making the point that there is
a problem, which is serious enough to have some complicated
solution. You're not exactly convincing me that my next purchase
will be AMD, but then I don't use Ubuntu either. Somebody,
somewhere, is screwing with AMD owners running Linux (or is it
Ubuntu specific?). Just to be clear, I have never had such problem
with Nvidia+Linux, nor have I wanted/needed some "techie" solution
for my Nvidia cards.

Nonetheless, I wonder if you have ever tried a PPA for AMD drivers?
Perhaps that would be an intermediary solution, which would also be
much safer and easier to execute. Since you haven't mentionned PPAs,
I wondering if that might help. Is it worth a try?

Hi J-P,

True. Very true. I mean to stress reading the instructions but point taken, if it's not easy there is a problem these days.

I like the instructions with cchtml because... well I don't know why I like the instructions there. They meet my needs for what I do day to day and week to week, on Ubuntu. I've tried the PPA and felt a bit unexcited about it (not that it doesn't work it didn't meet my needs at the time). I really enjoyed the OpenSUSE experience with AMD drivers and was VERY pleasantly surprised with how the disto worked in that instance (and I'm not an OpenSUSE fan, just like I'm not an Ubuntu fan or a Fedora fan or... I like Linux, not a particular distribution). Point being, I've had a pleasant experience with both AMD and Nvidia drivers on one specific distribution and I was surprised that that distribution got it right. I would have expected otherwise and it sticks in my mind when people tell me OpenSUSE is hard to use.

My fun with drivers with Ubuntu doesn't just happen with AMD drivers... it also happens with Nvidia drivers... so either I do something terribly wrong when it comes to Ubuntu or it's something else; being that I'm biased to thinking I do alright with Linux, I'm not at liberty to say which it is.

I need the latest drivers in some cases because I have to distinguish whether a problem we see is driver based, Wine based, game based, library based, window manager based... and on and on. I believe some distributions do a better job with this than others.

I do alright with Linux too, and at I'm liberty to say it's Arch. 😀 In fact, I'm surprise how much success and stability I have with Arch, and how easy it is to run Crossover on it. I read a lot of FUD regarding Arch, but I found my preferred distro.

Back to the topic, I'm not conviced Tuomas want an exciting solution. I thing he want an exciting game! So, do we send him to the PPA or not?

Hi again.
Thanks for the answers.I know there is some problems with ATI-drivers and I'm ok with it.Only just bit of tired to make hark that I can play some games.I think best way is still wait some time when linux get good support for drivers or game studios ports more games to linux-distros.I have windows 7 too so I can play games very well.I just dont like to use windows very much,you know. :)

Actually, as you have read, some of the blame is on Ubuntu. In fact, I can say I have had generally fewer problems with Arch than Ubuntu myself, and not just about video cards. Granted Arch is not for everybody, but then Caron had good performance with Opensuse, and I do have a soft spot for Opensuse too. Remember that Ubuntu doesn't speak for the whole of the Linux ecosystem. The problems you are having now under Ubuntu might not exist with orther distros. You can't really talk about "Linux" as a whole until you have hopped to a few distros outside the "buntu" world.

Anyway, you should really try the PPA if you haven't already, as that will get you the latest and greatest driver. As a gamer, I'm sure you'll agree that the latest video card driver is a must no matter what your OS is.

Yeah.I can try other Linux-distros too.But like I said,now I'm bit tired to make any computer-works.Last days with ubuntu and games has been very hard.Need some rest. :)
Ps.Sorry,my english is not very good.

Understood. Some times, there's just too much foolin' around and one has to take a break. I'm convinced there is a solution, even with Ubuntu though.

And, don't worry about the English. For one I understand you, and two, it is a second language too for me so I'm pretty sure I make mistakes as well even if I had a lot of practice with English.

I had the same problem and I can repair it
All threads in this forum are very interesting. Thanks

Apartamentos en cartagena

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQjRCYUUyY1c0RmJUU1VwYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9