CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Do I need to uninstall wine after installing CrossOver Linux?

Hi All
I just installed CrossOver Linux on my Ubuntu 12.04 computer (actually Zorin 6. ultimate). It has an installation of Wine already there (1.4.2), but, after reading about CrossOver I decided it was worth the money to buy it. I have previously installed IrfanView and Notepad using Wine, but they are small programs I can probably port over.

Now for my question.

1. Will Wine conflict with Crossover to make running Windows software more difficult, and if so should I uninstall my Wine, Winetricks, and Play on Linux software?

1. Conversly, is it useful to have it there?
    or
  2. Will having it there not do anything and I can just leave it there, since hard disc space isn't an issue (I have 250Gb and am using 29gb)

Thanks for any and all help

Joe 😕

Wine and other related software including winetricks and Play on Linux will not interact with CrossOver in any way.

Thanks for the quick and succinct reply. It was helpful in that now I can start using CrossOver and not worry about what is left over from Wine etc.

Joel

Hi guys.

I had the same problem and I can repair it
All threads in this forum are very interesting. Thanks

I'm not sure if this it's true regarding their not interacting. I had installed wine from the Ubuntu Software Center and it didn't work well. Then I tried Play on Linux and it had the same problems. I bought Crossover and absolutely nothing worked except Notepad. So I uninstalled anything wine related, deleted my .wine and .cxoffice directories and then installed Crossover again. It works fine now.

It should not be necessary as all three should install separate wine binaries. But one never knows how thing may interact.

Just an FYI: I'm running Wine side by side with Crossover on LMDE with no problems. They don't interact or interfere with each other (binaries in different places, configs in different places, programs in different places). I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but sorry you're experiencing it. It is a conundrum.

P. David Gardner wrote:

Just an FYI: I'm running Wine side by side with Crossover on LMDE
with no problems. They don't interact or interfere with each other
(binaries in different places, configs in different places, programs
in different places). I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but
sorry you're experiencing it. It is a conundrum.

Yeah, I had run them side by side previously as well but the last install in this system didn't work and I don't know what happened. I just know that deleting standard wine and then re-installing Crossover worked for some reason. Go figure.

What happens when you add Wine to your system with an already working Crossover?

Wine and CrossOver may both register themselves as able to handle .exe files. So if you have both installed, double-clicking a .exe in your file manager will run it with the other software than you expect. You can configure that in the mime type settings of your desktop environment.

Other than that they do not interact. You can install them in any order, even run applications in Wine and CrossOver simultaneously. You should even be able to copy-paste and drag and drop between them etc.

That's what I found myself, though stock Wine wasn't able to run Kindle for PC at all (bombs at start), while the Crossover install worked just great. I don't know what that's all about, but I like that Crossover can handle it because I need to run Kindle to check the formatting of my own novels before submitting to Amazon.

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiemRMUFhaZWhrNUc0TVNGcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9