CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WIndows 7 or 8 bottles

HI All,

Does anyone know if there are plans to have a Win7 or 8 bottle anytime soon? Id really like to get Office 2013 running on my Ubuntu machine,

I realise its probably not straight forward (what is when working with M$oft) but if anyone has an idea of what sort of timescale we might be looking at Id appreciate it.

Thanks

Well, how about right now? Because that's already there.

I see win7 and win8 as an available bottle type as I type this...

Really> hmm im on 12.2.0 and cant see thsoe bottle types...maybe I need to upgrade?

Oh, I'm on 12.5.0.

But still, those bottles are available types right now, and I wasn't lying! 😋

I dont disbelieve you..im upgrading to 12.5/0

thanks

There is one caveat to upgrading. That is, some applications which formerly ran might have problems. One such one is BibleWorks 9 which I run. It runs fine in 12.2.x versions but won't run in 12.5.0. It is a known issue and should be fixed in the next update, but be aware that regressions can and do happen.

That being said, I am looking forward to having Windows 7 and 8 bottles. What I wish for is a way to upgrade existing Windows XP or Vista bottles to Windows 7 or 8 bottles without having to go through a complete reinstall of the application.

Good to know...thanks....

Now all i need to do is for the upgrade to work...doesnt seem to want to either that or its installing another copy somewhere else......

Stephen Haffly wrote:

There is one caveat to upgrading. That is, some applications which
formerly ran might have problems. One such one is BibleWorks 9 which
I run. It runs fine in 12.2.x versions but won't run in 12.5.0. It
is a known issue and should be fixed in the next update, but be
aware that regressions can and do happen.

That being said, I am looking forward to having Windows 7 and 8
bottles. What I wish for is a way to upgrade existing Windows XP or
Vista bottles to Windows 7 or 8 bottles without having to go through
a complete reinstall of the application.

To "upgrade" a bottle...

Go to the control panel in the bottle manager, and click on "wine configuration" (or winecfg). From the very first pane in winecfg, you can change the bottle type to a different one. The "upgrade" will be no more difficult thant that. There are some difference between types, but not so much than changing the type is very difficult. Just a bit more complicated than a browser's user agent from what I understand.

That's news to me. I had previously read that it was not possible to change bottle types after the bottle was created. It appears that the statement is still accurate. I just changed the Wine settings for one of my applications. Although Wine configuration now reports the Windows version as Windows 7, the Crossover bottle manager still reports the bottle type as Windows XP. I will have to see if that changes after logging out and logging back in or rebooting though. Since I can't do that and continue this message, I'll have to post whether it worked after doing so.

Edit: No, rebooting made no difference. Changing the Windows version in the Configuration manager using the method specified does nothing to change the bottle type in Crossover.

I am currently able to change bottles types and it takes affect just fine. Actually just had to do it to get a game working.
I am running Ubuntu based Elementary OS.

It might be necessary to ask if the bottle manager gets updated when using Winecfg. As Darrell is seeing an effect (and so have I in the past), I imagine that the bottle manager just reports what it has registered at the time of the bottle's creation.

Unless the devs put in some work to really "integrate" the bottle manager and winecfg, I doubt the two communicate that much. The entry is still there in winecfg, and I'm really surprised if this choice is presented for purely cosmetic reasons. There would be no logic in putting that in the interface just have it do "not-a-damn-thing".

Winecfg does report the settings as Windows 7. Whether having the bottle continue to be listed in Crossover as Windows XP would affect the operation or whether it is a cosmetic issue is beyond my capabilities to determine.

Darrell, when you changed the Windows settings using Winecfg, did the bottle type reported by Crossover change? I am currently running 12.2.2 for the reason stated above. Perhaps 12.5 does things differently. I may try it soon since it is a simple matter to revert back to 12.2.2 if I try it with 12.5 and it still does not work (that is, unless one of you tells me whether 12.5.0 reports the changed Windows version correctly).

I did some digging around, and the bottle type is simply a line in cxbottle.conf called "Template" (one file in each bottle). Change that, and voilà, you have a new bottle type reported by the bottle manager. I even changed my bottle type temporarely to "stupid", as that is what Windows really is... Even with that "special" bottle type, things ran perfectly as if the bottle was of a more standard type.

I think this show that what the bottle manager reports is nothing more than what the bottle is at creation time. I would put more stock in what winecfg says, if for nothing else than the fact Wine is the core of Crossover.

But I might be wrong...

I see what your seeing:

You can see my screenshot here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7nFBpKpTgzLWWdRWHY0d09hX3c/edit?usp=sharing

So the bottle is running in xp mode although it says its a windows 7 bottle. Its just a cosmetic bug. I am running 12.5.0

Darrell Swafford wrote:

I see what your seeing:

You can see my screenshot here
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7nFBpKpTgzLWWdRWHY0d09hX3c/edit?usp=sharing

So the bottle is running in xp mode although it says its a windows 7
bottle. Its just a cosmetic bug. I am running 12.5.0

That's the way I understood things for a while now. Of course, you do have to dig around to perceive this, as it is far from obvious on the surface.

Digging around is a big part of the fun for me, hence my use of ArchLinux! And I do still use plain old Wine to fool around with as well as Crossover.

J-P Simard wrote:

Darrell Swafford wrote:

I see what your seeing:

You can see my screenshot here

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7nFBpKpTgzLWWdRWHY0d09hX3c/edit?usp=sharing

So the bottle is running in xp mode although it says its a windows
bottle. Its just a cosmetic bug. I am running 12.5.0

That's the way I understood things for a while now. Of course, you
do have to dig around to perceive this, as it is far from obvious on
the surface.

Digging around is a big part of the fun for me, hence my use of
ArchLinux! And I do still use plain old Wine to fool around with as
well as Crossover.

I do the same.

I went ahead and submitted a ticket so they atleast know about it:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=961962#ticket961962

J-P Simard wrote:

I did some digging around, and the bottle type is simply a line in
cxbottle.conf called "Template" (one file in each bottle). Change
that, and voilà, you have a new bottle type reported by the bottle
manager. I even changed my bottle type temporarely to "stupid", as
that is what Windows really is... Even with that "special" bottle
type, things ran perfectly as if the bottle was of a more standard
type.

Thanks. I did not know it would be something so simple.

I think this show that what the bottle manager reports is nothing
more than what the bottle is at creation time. I would put more
stock in what winecfg says, if for nothing else than the fact Wine
is the core of Crossover.

But I might be wrong...

I'll play with it some and see what happens. Thanks for the assistance.

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVDVVR1RhTkJZUXYyQWd4YSIsImdkcHIiOjB9