CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Whitesmoke

Good afternoon!

Whitesmoke is the best editing program that I have ever come across. I've tried other editors, both paid and free, and they just don't compare. This program makes me look smart. I bought and paid for Whitesmoke's 2012 package last year. Then, I switched to Linux (Ubuntu, 12.04).

This program is, unfortunately, only made for Windows. I was extremely disappointed until I found Crossover. I figured that if this software can make Office 2007 run decently, then there is hope for Whitesmoke! I have installed the program using Crossover, but now I'm getting a giant error that says the program tried to load a c runtime library incorrectly. At the top of the box, it says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. (This is also the same error that Access 2007 gives. )

So, I had the bright idea of just installing the library needed. However, there are about 10 versions of it in the software center so I'm not sure which one to use.

I recognize that we may not be able to get this to run at all, but I sure would like to try. Anyone on the forums willing and able to assist? Any help given would be deeply appreciated!

EDIT: Apparently, it is also made for Mac OSX. I don't know if that will be helpful with getting it to run or not.

Thank you,

Dana

Can you get us a debug log? Please post the content in within the "code" blocks provided by the button of the same name in the tool bar. That will prevent a really long akward post.

Sorry for the delay! I was fighting with the installation of a new network printer. Here are the debug logs, as requested.

** Mon Nov 18 14:46:07 2013
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' 'C:\users\Public\Desktop' '--start' '--'
'C:\users\Public\Desktop\WhiteSmoke.lnk'

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"WCaptureX" (5.0.1701.0)
err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\WhiteSmoke\\WSTray.exe" failed, status c0000142

Thanks!

Dana

Well, mscrv80.dll is part of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, so if you haven't already, install that.

Okay, done! Here is the new log file:

** Mon Nov 18 15:16:24 2013
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' 'C:\users\Public\Desktop' '--start' '--'

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"WCaptureX" (5.0.1701.0)
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\WhiteSmoke\\WSTray.exe" failed, status c0000142

I'm looking at this, and I see it says that MSVCR80.dll still failed to initialize. I installed it into the same Bottle as Whitesmoke. I'm not quite sure why it's not initializing. Could it be because of one of the issues before that? Would it have anything to do with the three FixMes?

I don't think the first two fixme are a problem.

The third one is very much a problem. WCaptureX seems to be a library used by your software, and the fact the it couldn't be "found" is probably a big problem to launch the your software itself. I really have no idea as to the why it isn't found, and frankly, the cause is probably beyond my help. This missing WCaptureX might also bring about the failure to initialize msvcr80.dll, not that I know this for sure.

Honestly, I really don't know where to go from here. You can always try a support ticket, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Have you tried downloading the missing .dll and adding it to system32. I Googled it and found (WCaptureX.dll belong to Dictionarist module developed by Dictionarist Ltd.) could work? ACTUALLY IT SHOULD BE IN (C:\Program Files\WhiteSmoke\WCaptureX.dll)

The thing is XcaptureX should have been installed in the first place. Not that adding the dll absolutly wouldn't work, but if the install is faulty from the start, the chances of it making a difference is slim at best.

But if the attempt is done, that's windows/system32 in your bottle's c:\ drive, which you can reach easily from the bottle manager.

Okay, so I just downloaded the file from http://www.zhaodll.co/plus/download2.php?aid=138596. This has two folders in it, x86 and x64. My computer is a 64 bit operating system, but the Crossover is 32 bit, I think. So, I'm going to put the entire x86 folder into the location that you guys specified, right? Or do I need to find the particular text file labled wcapturex.dll?

Thanks!

Dana

I popped open the bottle real fast and discovered that the file is there. I can't help but get the feeling that I'm missing something. The file is there, so something is happening that is causing the file to not be found. Unless, the system is looking in a different place for the file, other than in the Whitesmoke program. I did copy it into the system 32 folder, just in case. Here is the new log file:

** Mon Nov 18 17:52:15 2013

So far, it looks nothing different.

I also tried to reinstall WS altogether. Here is the logfile from that.

***** Mon Nov 18 17:29:57 2013
Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxassoc' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--sync'

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--scope' 'private' '--no-convert' '--wl-app' 'assocscan.exe' '--scan' '--icon-dir' '/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/windata/Associations'

CXConfig->read(/opt/cxoffice/etc/cxoffice.conf)
CXConfig->read(/home/dana2/.cxoffice/cxoffice.conf)
Product version=12.5.1.27262local
3998: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
3998: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
CXConfig->read(/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/cxbottle.conf)
Mode = 'private'
Bottle environment variables:
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
 CX_BOTTLE_CREATOR_APPID -> com.codeweavers.unknown
Environment:
  CX_ROOT = "/opt/cxoffice"
  CX_BOTTLE = "WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full"
  WINEPREFIX = "/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full"
  CX_WINDOWS_VERSION = <undefined>
  PATH = "/opt/cxoffice/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH = "/opt/cxoffice/lib"
  WINEDLLPATH = "/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine"
  WINEDLLOVERRIDES = <undefined>
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
  LD_ASSUME_KERNEL = <undefined>
  WINELOADER = "/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader"
  WINESERVER = "/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineserver"
  WINEDEBUG = "+cxreboot,-cxassoc,-cxmenu"
  CX_LOG = "/home/dana2/.cxoffice/desktopdata/com.codeweavers.unknown.3823.log.fifo"
  CX_DEBUGMSG = "+cxreboot,-cxassoc,-cxmenu"
  CX_WINE_USAGE_LOGFILE = <undefined>
  DISPLAY = ":0"
3998: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --no-convert --run -- /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/assocscan.exe.so --scan --icon-dir /home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/windata/Associations

** Mon Nov 18 17:29:57 2013
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--no-convert' '--run' '--'
'/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/assocscan.exe.so' '--scan' '--icon-dir' '/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/windata/Associations'

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--untrusted' '--wait-children' '--no-convert' '--' 'Y:\Downloads\WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full.exe'

4005: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4005: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Mode = 'private'
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
Environment:
  PATH = "/opt/cxoffice/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
  CX_LOG = "/home/dana2/.cxoffice/desktopdata/com.codeweavers.unknown.3823.log.fifo"
4005: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --wait-children --no-convert --run -- Y:\Downloads\WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full.exe

** Mon Nov 18 17:29:58 2013
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--wait-children' '--no-convert' '--run' '--'
'Y:\Downloads\WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full.exe'

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub

***** Mon Nov 18 17:30:17 2013
Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/launchurl' 'http://www.whitesmoke.com/promotions/popups/directpostinstallation.php?user_id=&dist_id=0&installOption=0&offer=0'

Argument conversion:
  [http://www.whitesmoke.com/promotions/popups/directpostinstallation.php?user_id=&dist_id=0&installOption=0&offer=0] -> [http://www.whitesmoke.com/promotions/popups/directpostinstallation.php?user_id=&dist_id=0&installOption=0&offer=0]
Checking if firefox is running
Running `"/usr/bin/firefox" -remote 'ping()' 2>&1`
-> rc=0  (took 0.0456490516662598 seconds)
output=[]
Running `"/usr/bin/firefox" -remote "openURL(http://www.whitesmoke.com/promotions/popups/directpostinstallation.php?user_id=&dist_id=0&installOption=0&offer=0)" 2>&1`
-> rc=0  (took 0.0862410068511963 seconds)
output=[]

***** Mon Nov 18 17:30:23 2013
Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--wait-children' '--wl-app' 'reboot.exe'

4047: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4047: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Mode = 'private'
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
Environment:
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
4047: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --wait-children --run -- /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/reboot.exe.so

** Mon Nov 18 17:30:23 2013
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--wait-children' '--run' '--'
'/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/reboot.exe.so'

trace:cxreboot:Process_WininitIni Processing Wininit.ini file
trace:cxreboot:Process_WininitIni renaming wininit.ini file
trace:cxreboot:Process_PendingFileRenameOperations Entered
trace:cxreboot:Process_PendingFileRenameOperations Value not present - nothing to rename
trace:cxreboot:Process_RegHacks Deleting MDM keys
trace:cxreboot:Build_CommandList Building list from 0x80000002
trace:cxreboot:CommandList_Add adding L"iernonce" and L"rundll32.exe iernonce,RunOnceExProcess"
trace:cxreboot:CommandList_Add adding L"dxdllreg" and L"dxdllreg.exe"
trace:cxreboot:Build_CommandList Building list from 0x80000001
err:cxreboot:Execute_CommandList FAILED to delete key L"iernonce" with error 2
trace:cxreboot:run_process Running command L"iernonce" (L"rundll32.exe iernonce,RunOnceExProcess")
fixme:iernonce:RunOnceExProcess Really really basic implementation
err:cxreboot:Execute_CommandList FAILED to delete key L"dxdllreg" with error 2
trace:cxreboot:run_process Running command L"dxdllreg" (L"dxdllreg.exe")
trace:cxreboot:Execute_CommandList Finished execution
trace:cxreboot:Build_CommandList Building list from 0x80000001
trace:cxreboot:Execute_CommandList FAILED to open key L"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnce" with error 2

***** Mon Nov 18 17:30:23 2013
Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxmenu' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--sync' '--mode' 'install'

***** Mon Nov 18 17:30:24 2013
Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--scope' 'private' '--no-convert' '--wl-app' 'winemenubuilder.exe' '--cx-dump-menus' '--cx-all-menus'

4057: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4057: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Mode = 'private'
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
Environment:
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
4057: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --no-convert --run -- /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/winemenubuilder.exe.so --cx-dump-menus --cx-all-menus

** Mon Nov 18 17:30:24 2013
Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--no-convert' '--run' '--'
'/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/winemenubuilder.exe.so' '--cx-dump-menus' '--cx-all-menus'

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxassoc' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--sync' '--sync-mode' '--mode' 'mime'

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxnsplugin' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--sync' '--mode' 'ignore'

Default install mode -> ignore
4066: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4066: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4066: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4066: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4066: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4066: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
CXConfig->read("/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine" --scope private --wl-app pluginserver.exe  --scandlls |)

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--scope' 'private' '--wl-app' 'pluginserver.exe' '--scandlls'

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--scope' 'private' '--no-convert' '--wl-app' 'assocscan.exe' '--scan' '--icon-dir' '/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/windata/Associations'

4068: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4068: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4070: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Mode = 'private'
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
Environment:
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
4068: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4070: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --run -- /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/pluginserver.exe.so --scandlls

Starting '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--run' '--'
'/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/pluginserver.exe.so' '--scandlls'

Mode = 'private'
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
Environment:
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
4070: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --no-convert --run -- /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/assocscan.exe.so --scan --icon-dir /home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/windata/Associations

'/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/assocscan.exe.so' '--scan' '--icon-dir' '/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/windata/Associations'

-> rc=0  (took 0.172620058059692 seconds)
'/home/dana2/.cxoffice/WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full/cxnsplugin.conf' not modified -> no need to save

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxmenu' '--bottle' 'WhiteSmoke_Enrichment_Full' '--sync' '--mode' 'install'

Starting: '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine' '--scope' 'private' '--no-convert' '--wl-app' 'winemenubuilder.exe' '--cx-dump-menus' '--cx-all-menus'

4080: Grabbing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
4080: Got the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Mode = 'private'
 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC -> 20
Environment:
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
4080: Releasing the '/tmp/.wine-1001/bottle-805-c80009.lock' lock
Command:
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --no-convert --run -- /opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/winemenubuilder.exe.so --cx-dump-menus --cx-all-menus

'/opt/cxoffice/lib/wine/winemenubuilder.exe.so' '--cx-dump-menus' '--cx-all-menus'

:cxlogfilter:exit

Dana

The problem eludes me. Maybe the maker of the software could give you a clue. Obviously they don't have to support you when you try to run it on Crossover, but they might have a suggestion of what to look at.

OK you have the .dll in your program file maybe it is not registered. Try registering it buy opening a terminal then cd to the folder I think the code is
wine regsvr32.exe WCaptureX.dll

I could not find a trail vision of the software is there one?

I'm going to try registering the DLL file in the morning when I turn that computer back on but as to the question of a trial version of Whitesmoke, I'm not sure that there is one. I've got a call in to the company to see if they can be of any assistance with a trial version. They don't support Linux, so I don't know if they'll be much help there. Their live chat representative keeps accidentally ending the chat. If I get any info, I'll pass it on.

I haven't been able to find a trial version. But, I do have the install files. I can send those, without the registration code. That way, we can see if we can get it installed correctly. Would that be acceptable? If so, how do I get the file over to you?

How acceptable it is depends on your software licence, and when in doubt, do not copy or distribute a software. The only legally safe answer is not to copy software unless you are explicitly allowed to by the licence/EULA.

How acceptable a risk it is for you to ignore your licence and local laws is one thing, just don't directly involve the forum. Perhaps a private message to tell us where you've put the files, that part being up to you if you are disposed to take the risk.

This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but I think you should force CrossOver to use its own builtin version of MSVCR80.dll instead of MS's version of it. (I think you already have the MS version, and it's not loading correctly due to a Wine bug that wouldn't affect the builtin version.)

To do this, select Tools>>Manage Bottles from the CrossOver menu, select the bottle where your program is installed, click on the Control Panel tab, and double-click on "Wine Configuration". Within Wine Configuration, select the Libraries tab, click the textbox under "New override for library", type msvcr80, and click the "Add" button. Then click the "Edit" button, select "Builtin (Wine)" in the new dialog that pops up, and dismiss both dialogs with the "OK" button.

Hi Vicent,

The software was originally tried without Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, and wouldn't have had the MS version of msvcr80.dll, bu it still didn't work. So how's this going to help? Is Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 still necessary under those circumstances? I would like to know for future reference.

It's possible (and not unlikely) that the application's installer included the C++ runtime and, because the builtin msvcr80 is set up to defer to the native version (http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/msvcr80/msvcr80.c#L27), the builtin version of the dll was never used.

Would the C++ library have been listed in the bottle if installed by default?

edit: I had to remove a mixture of french and english spelling... 😋

This is going to sound incredibly silly, I know, but how do I send a private message through these forums?

Thanks!

Dana

Not silly at all. You need to add the person as a friend, he/she has to accept, then you can send direct messages. A tad cumbersome :)

I don't know if it would show up in the Applications listing, but Wine doesn't have a "program tried to load a c runtime library incorrectly" message. So that message indicates some sort of native C++ runtime dll is being used.

1 to 23 of 23

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQXFweG42WXo2UVdWYm5wQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9