CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam crashes immidiately at login

I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu 13.10 (64 bit) with Crossover 13.
I wanted to install Skyrim, and the install starts fine. But when I get to the initial Steam login, things go wrong:
I get a promt for a code sent to my email. I type the code and press Enter, and Steam just disappears. If I try to start Steam again from the desktop shortcut or from within Crossover, the same happens - i get an email with the code, but after typing this nothing happens.

I have tried to remove all bottles, reboot, remove all bottles and remove Crossover itself - but this still happens.
I also tried to install only Steam (no games, just the client) but this didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, this is affecting some Mac users too, on this thread.

An advocate, Silviu, suggested there is a fix coming as seen here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35030

Installed Crossover 13.0 yesterday, installed on my Debian 7 gnome3. Tried to install Fallout3, but completely removed the Crossover launcher. I tried Steam, but they screwed up my password/login twice (x2), and because of that, Steam is no better than Obamacare website.
Been working with LInux for 3 years, and have Halo CE, Call of Duty4, Battlefield 1942, Oolite, Metal of Honor Airborne all installed on Wine. PlayonLinux is also crap!
So, I have an old XPS410 (64M WD HDD/GT430/4Gig DDR2), but I figured that Crossover would work on an old x86 machine, then my FX6350 build should be amazing.
So, where's my Crossover launcher??
I'm autistic/dyslexic and work with pictorial instructions, like advanced electronics skematics, but can't stand written instructions that are 90% incorrect and misleading. So, where's my Crossover 13.0??
In Debian 7, wine is running 1.4, and I figured that Crossover 13.0 would automatically install Fallout3. Yes, Debian 7 Wine 1.4 has a problem running dotnet2 (.NET 2, sp1/sp2), but I have MONO installed as a dotnet infrastructure.
So, where's my Crossover launcher?? Do I need to re-install Debian 7? Or apt-get purge xxxx??
So, where's my Crossover launcher?? Is this fixable??
Please provide all written instructions that are 100% correct, thorough and guaranteed. Is that possible??
John W. McSherry

Then I'll guess we'll have to wait for a Crossover update..

We are testing a fix in our release branch. I'm hopeful that we will ship a fix very soon.

We have released a new version of CrossOver which fixes Steam! You can download the new version - CrossOver 13.0.1 - from our home page now. Sorry for the downtime.

Cheers!

Awesome! Thanks :D

Is there going to be an update or possible fix for this issue on CrossOver 12?

I would say "no". That wouldn't be consistent with the licence or the support model for Crossover.

I only got CrossOver last year, so I'm not too familiar with how older versions are supported. It's a bummer that CrossOver 12 is now useless for Steam. I could understand not supporting newer games, but I wasn't expecting a situation where I would lose all functionality. However, I can't be disappointed in CodeWeavers because it's not their fault.

There's always the possibility that CodeWeavers paid Valve to break Steam on older WINE versions in order to push sales of CrossOver 13...

Joe Black wrote:

There's always the possibility that CodeWeavers paid Valve to break
Steam on older WINE versions in order to push sales of CrossOver

Oh, the conspiracies... 😋

Well, if you bought Crossover last year, your support is usually a year at time. So you might very well be entitled to version 13.01 right now! Just look in "my downloads" section of your account and see what versions you have.

Just checked, and my support runs through 12.5. That's alright; I guess I'll have to figure something out. I used to run Office and a number of Steam games, but all I use it for any more is the occasional game of Civ V. Not too much lost, thankfully.

Regardless, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I downloaded the new upgrade made a new bottle with Crossover I have Ubuntu 13.10 and so far it is still not working it is not sending me the email confirmation of steam to my registered email.

Has it been fixed has someone found a workaround, thanks appreciate. Just when I actually got my Steam games to play this happens what a bummer!

Two things:

1) The fact that you don't get the email from Steam might very well be a Steam problem. It happens from time to time.

2) If you upgraded from a previous version of CX on Ubuntu 13.10 you might want to check for missing libraries.

See here for more in-detail troubleshooting advice:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=11995;forum=1;msg=157074#c2

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUjlHbUxIVkdMU3VtWmJZZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9