CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Pipelight Running MS silverlight 5.1 and Flash plugin 11.9 in native linux browser

I just came across this last night. Pipelight from the FDS-TEAM they are using wine to install Windows Flash 11.9 and or Silverlight 5.1 to get DRM support into native Linux FireFox and Chrome browsers. Has any one in the Crossover team or community members herd of this project and is there any possibility of porting to crossover?
http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html#section_1_4

Yeah, I would like an easy bottle for that pesky netflix too.

But this is done with heavy patching of Wine, which means Codeweavers would have to pull in a bunch of code that would have a very limited use case scenario. Although I would think the idea entirely possible, it would hardly be a reasonnable choice at this time.

So even if I would like just as much as you, Gary, I doubt we will see the day any time soon, if at all.

Hay J-P
Ya even the FDS-TEAM say it's heavily patched and would be slow to get up the wine steam. But a very cool idea. I did an install and got access to my Amazon prime Instant video and it work quite well on my native Firefox browser.
Little off topic but hows the welding going? I was an auto body tech for twenty years.

The welding is as good as its going to get when a "paper pusher" like myself is doing it! 😋 The roof doesn't leak, and I can't really find significant drafts, in fact the truck is less drafty then ever. Considering that parts are removed in summer, I don't expect the truck to be ever fully sealed anyway. Coupled with the diesel heater pumping heat like crazy, I should be fine, even in the coldest time of my Quebec winter (which is right around my birthday in February, damn'it).

The look though, is incredible! Even with all the imperfections, you've never seen a BJ42 like mine, or any other "jeep" for that matter (Being a Toyota, it's not a "jeep", ya know). You should see the peoples faces, and I haven't even polished the aluminum! I will wait to polish the metal in spring, unless I get bored during winter.

Thanks for the post! I used to use a winxp bottle with firefox and flash installed, but flash drm stopped working a while back when firefox and/or flash updated. I've now switched to pipelight for my browser flash and silverlight needs and it works well.

Hi Amal
I am surprised there has not been more discussion on this post with Adobe no longer supporting flash for Linux. I have had very good luck with Pipelight hopefully some of it will make it into Crossover.

Actually, I hope flash and silverlight die... But until then, Pipelight is pretty good.

Hay J-P
Yes I agree it would be nice to see HTML5 take over but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Gabrielle D. Profenno wrote:

I am surprised there has not been more discussion on this post with
Adobe no longer supporting flash for Linux.

Adobe are not adding new features to the linux port but they do put out builds with security fixes. And, there is of course, Google's pepper API version of flashplayer that is up to date.

Mozilla has Shumway as work in progress.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

I am surprised there has not been more discussion on this post
with
Adobe no longer supporting flash for Linux.

Adobe are not adding new features to the linux port but they do put
out builds with security fixes. And, there is of course, Google's
pepper API version of flashplayer that is up to date.

Mozilla has
Shumway as work
in progress.

Yes Shumway may be functional at some point but will any web developers adopt it, as for Flash big company’s such as Comcast and Time Warner use DRM that is not supplied with Flash 11.2 so we need some thing to bridge the gap until the powers that be decide on how HTML5 will be finalized.

Shumway does not need to be adopted by anybody. The idea is that it will play flash content, potentially even the DRMed content.

True enough, but it has to be mature enough to run stuff. Right now, even pepper in Chrome doesn't do everything. There are sites that I use that still require actual flash for things to work. So although I applaud the bandaid to ease the transition to HTML5 that those integrated solutions are, they aren't total replacement as of yet.

So I would just prefer not to deal with flash technology at all. It is a plague from a prior generation, responsible for a great number of security risk and crashes. I just wish the transition would go faster. That being said, I understand that transition is alway problematic.

Just got back from cleaning solar panels big snow here today. Wow din,t think this would get so much attention I do seem to think shumway would require at least some adoption by what I have read. I also tried installing Lightspark it worked OK on YouTube but when it came to DRM stuff it choked.

Well, we must not forget that flash is a proprietary format. So expecting "alternatives" to simply work, is really wishful thinking.

A replacement has to meet many objectives:

1- Re-implement all the API: That one is the hardest, as Adobe certainly didn't say, oh well go ahead and here's the info.

2- It has to be tested: If it doesn't work out of the box, most will not adopt it. I know I can't really fucntion without a fully working implementation.

3- It has to be detected: On some sites, pepper isn't even recognized as a flash implementation, where the site will simply complain that the plugin is missing. No matter how good pepper is, if it won't even be detected as a flash alternative, it is entirely useless.

So for me, since flash is proprietary format, I don't even understand how the web actually thought so much of it as to make it a de facto standard. I also don't understand why this crap hasn't been dumbped in a hurry. Right now, you barely hear about "HTML5", and you still have to ask youtube to "please" use it when possible, and most wouldn't even know how to do that.

It is greatly time that HTML5 is worked on, not just on the technical side, but also on the PR side, so that it is adopted and to allow the web to move on.

Sorry for my ranting...

Well I guess we are a rare bunch the 2% of the world that use Linux on our production machines. Like Microsoft, Flash was the first to be widely adopted now that the general public are using the Flash web development tools it is hard to change. The HTML5 standard has not even been finalized who knows when that will happen? For now I will continue to voice my opinion on every forum I can and maybe some one in charge will notice.

I do not agree with the idea Windows had anything to do with the adoption. Flash has been a security and crashing plague on Windows too...

No, I just think the product filled a need no one else tried to fill, or had a proper solution for. Instead of asking questions, like wether or not the platform would be an eventual dead end, the web just blindly adopted it. No one saw that a non-open free (as in libre) solution was in the web's better interest. This is not a Stallman rant, just my view that the web should never be tied to a proprietary solution.

Just look the crap MS did with all those IE only stuff they tried, and almost succesfully, pushed on the web. There was a time that some sites simply would not load properly with anything but IE. Same thing with that activex crap. Hell, to this day, there are some of Quebec's government sites that require activex to access some parts of it. How ridiculous is it to have chosen to block anyone not using Windows. I have to keep a VM around, just for them, no matter what. Now that is Windows related, and even that has largely been rejected by the web under its current form. Not that I expect my provincial government to wake up to the stupidity of their decision...

So, I don't know how flash got where it is, except that it was there alone, when it was needed and nobody asked any questions.

J-P Simard wrote:

I do not agree with the idea Windows had anything to do with the
adoption. Flash has been a security and crashing plague on Windows
too...

No, I just think the product filled a need no one else tried to
fill, or had a proper solution for. Instead of asking questions,
like wether or not the platform would be an eventual dead end, the
web just blindly adopted it. No one saw that a non-open free (as in
libre) solution was in the web's better interest. This is not a
Stallman rant, just my view that the web should never be tied to a
proprietary solution.

Just look the crap MS did with all those IE only stuff they tried,
and almost succesfully, pushed on the web. There was a time that
some sites simply would not load properly with anything but IE. Same
thing with that activex crap. Hell, to this day, there are some of
Quebec's government sites that require activex to access some parts
of it. How ridiculous is it to have chosen to block anyone not using
Windows. I have to keep a VM around, just for them, no matter what.
Now that is Windows related, and even that has largely been rejected
by the web under its current form. Not that I expect my provincial
government to wake up to the stupidity of their decision...

So, I don't know how flash got where it is, except that it was there
alone, when it was needed and nobody asked any questions.

Hay J-P
I think you misunderstood me. The Microsoft comment I made was that it was first to be widely adopted like Flash because it made it to market first. As for IE I am a U-Haul dealer and I also use U-Hauls Webselfstorage soft ware for my Storage Facility. They are IE only site's and written in .asp or Visual Basic 6. I muddle through with Crossover and IE8 as they dropped support for IE7 but I often need to use Windows 8.1 in VM and guess what IE11 dose not support .asp only .net asp so even The U-Haul development team is scrambling to rewrite their site's in .net asp. So ya IE is a big steaming pile of crap.

So ya IE is a big steaming pile of crap.

Yeah, I misread you Gary, sorry. Like I usually say, being French speaking, there is always some bias as to how I read and write English. So occasionnally, I don't really see what is there. Hence the term "language barrier", which remains even if I'm very comfortable with English.

My main point was that Web should be open, in every possible sense, so that it becomes entirely platform agnostic. What is happening to U-Haul will happen again and again. There are many open solutions out there with wich you can at least give yourself more time if ever it goes away, as they do not depend on any particular proprietary platform. Yet they persist with proprietary stuff that might just get dumped when MS gets bored of it. That to me means no one learns their lessons, and that has to change.

J-P Simard wrote:

So ya IE is a big steaming pile of crap.

Yeah, I misread you Gary, sorry. Like I usually say, being French
speaking, there is always some bias as to how I read and write
English. So occasionnally, I don't really see what is there. Hence
the term "language barrier", which remains even if I'm very
comfortable with English.

My main point was that Web should be open, in every possible sense,
so that it becomes entirely platform agnostic. What is happening to
U-Haul will happen again and again. There are many open solutions
out there with wich you can at least give yourself more time if ever
it goes away, as they do not depend on any particular proprietary
platform. Yet they persist with proprietary stuff that might just
get dumped when MS gets bored of it. That to me means no one learns
their lessons, and that has to change.

No big deal I often misspeak not fully understanding a post. As for the rest of your post I vote. J-P for Internet President or is it Prime Minister?

Either, I'm not picky about titles!

1 to 20 of 20

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVkVGQVl4bjJ2TlBXclNWYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9