CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Microsoft Office 2010 App Window is not moveable

Hello,
My OS is Kubuntu 13.10 x64 and I have the newest Crossover installed.
Now I have installed MS Office 2010. If I run MS Word or MS Excel it starts always in Maximized Windowssize. I want to change the App Windows Size with my Mouse and I want to move the Windows but that doesnt work. What can I do?
Please help!

The last time I had this problem, it was xinerama, so are you running with multi-screen setup?

Same problem for me, yes, dual screen setup, NVidia.

I have this issue as well. It mainly seems to be Excel 2010. Also, the Office windows like to be "Always on top" of anything else on the screen.

Running dual 24" monitors in portrait mode, Nvidia binary drivers, Linux Mint 15 with Crossover 13. But it's been a problem since Crossover 12.

Very annoying. I wish there would be a fix for it.

Agreed, same problem here!

Using Ubuntu 13.10, Nvdia latest drivers, and Crossover 13.1.0

Using dual screen, at startup ALL Office 2010 applications start with a non-maximized window that spans across one and a half monitors...

This annoying bug requires urgent attention... please!!!

What I have done with Outlook 2010 in the past is this:

Go to Tools ->Manage Bottles -> Control Panel tab -> Wine Configuration.

Select the Graphics tab.

Uncheck "Allow the window manager to control the windows".

This will help with the movable window behavior, but it does produce other behaviors. Instead of the office product being in your taskbar (at least for KDE), it is now an icon on your desktop. It will also hide other windows when it is not minimized, always on top of other applications.

I just installed Visio 2010 and had this same issue. I knew I had solved it with the rest of the Office suite earlier, thanks to this forum, and re-reading this reminded me how.

I wanted to add another piece of information, though. After you uncheck the 'let the window manager handle this' box, "Apply" it and start the application. You'll find you can now de-maximize it and move it to your second screen if you want. You'll also find it's always on top which is really annoying. However, if you exit the application it will remember that it wasn't maximized. You can now turn the 'let the window manager handle this' option back on and you should find the application works properly.

Rick,
Thank you for pointing out this workaround. It's been driving me nuts since 12.0.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0sySHhyYW1KWDVVSFRMeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9