CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Kudo's from a new Crossover user (and 1 question)

With some of the rather negative posts about Crossover performance I had to share the positive.

I dabbled with Wine for some time and really, if anything is dissapointing its Wine. I tried it with PlayOnLinux too for some of my games. Nothing but trouble and performance was abyssmal. After several days worth of tinkering I finally got Guild Wars 2 to work. Installing didn't work I had to install it on a Windows Laptop and copy it over. Performance though made it unplayable. On the lowest settings I got a bare 17fps on an i7 2600k at 4.6Ghz with GTX580 (factory OC). Native on Windows it played highest settings maxed out at 40-60fps. Steam wouldn't install.

I tried Crossover yesterday and Guild Wars 2 installed and played at highest setting 30-40fps. I think I disabled FSAA though that's all. It's fast, it plays wonderfully!

I installed Steam, installed Borderlands 2, Skyrym, Endless Space, Space Engineers (not even in your DB!). They all install and play with very good performance.

Seriously, I'm impressed! Needless to say I purchased today.

It's not all perfect though, Civilization V starts but it only shows 1/4th of the screen, Low res full screen. I can't click or do anything. I had to kill the process via another TTY. I searched the forums but not found a solution. If there's anything I can try to fix this I'd appreciate it.

I'll continue to install my other favorite games. There's Fear 1,2,3, Batman Arkham Asylum, Borderlands 1, Metro (although I have the Linux edition too), Sanctum 1 &2, Orcs must die 1 & 2, Magicka, The Witcher 1 & 2 and Tom Clancy's GRAW 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2. QUBE would be nice too! There's a couple more but these would be uber cool!

Thanks for reading!

Heya,

Thanks for the feedback :)

I would like to know what Linux distro you are using and how difficult was it for you to install CrossOver. Did you need to install additional libraries from your distribution's repository? If so, was it easy for you to find the info you needed in the support section of the site?

Regarding Civ V, as it's officially supported by Codeweavers, you might want to file a support ticket.

I'm on Debian Wheezy 64-bit. Installation was 1 command, dpkg -i etc :). I think I was missing 1 library, a i386 version. Installed it and all was fine, didn't need the support site at all as the name of the library is given and can be found using standard tools. Everything's been very smooth, except I had to start Skyrym install a few time (got stuck on step 3 of 3 twice).

I can send a support ticket, figured I'd ask here first in case I overlooked a post.

Thanks.

"I installed Steam, installed Borderlands 2, Skyrym, Endless Space, Space Engineers (not even in your DB!)"

you've found some that works ! & it's not in the DataBase ???
😋

What Runs -> My Applications -> Submit Application

Go for it .. ..

add it to the DB !

Done!

Sup guys,

I agree with our new friend here. Even though Crossover is difficult to install/setup on Ubuntu, it still remains the best packaged Wine-based solution of all - no comparison. PlayOnLinux is catchig up in terms of user friendliness and features, but nothing comes remotely close to Crossover 13 in terms of performance, features, service, support and appearance. Not only is Crossover 13 superior to other offerings, especially when compared to vanilla Wine, but official staff and user support is fast, responsive, friendly and offers a lot of knowledge. I'm using most of the free time I have right now to test games and rate them accordingly via the Codeweavers database.

I predict the effort Valve and Canonical are investing in Steam + Linux and gaming in general will payoff big time in the next one to three years. This will bring us many more native and via Wine packaged software, but not everyone is going to be capable of offering this kind of multi-plattform support. In this case, Crossover is, indeed, the best solution for Linux and Mac users to date.

Alex

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM1VxUXlKVzJobkxnZTVDdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9