CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Lib hunting in Arch

Against my better judgement I decided to spend the extra day to get familiarized with Arch (or more accurately AntergOS) and now I'm hunting for libs.

I also have a thread in the Arch forums

My output for "/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag" is below. I found some of the libs, but most of them I can't find.

$ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.6 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibMpg123]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libmpg123.so.0 library"
"Description"="Needed by some Windows applications to play MP3 files."

[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.6 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[MissingLibSane]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libsane.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access scanners."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[MissingLibXslt]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libxslt.so.1 library"
"Description"="This library lets Windows applications perform queries and transformations on XML files."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="nouveau"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="3.0 Mesa 10.1.0"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Gallium 0.4 on NVC8"

everything you need is in the 32bit version:

I don't think you have an ISDN card, do you?

lib32-libgphoto2 is in the AUR, if you need it.

lib32-gsm is in the AUR

Don't need HAL

lib32-mpg123 is in multilib

lib32-sane is the AUR

libx32-libxslt

PacmanXG should install those for you if I'm not mistaking. If not, there is either pacaur or yaourt that will greatly accelerate the process.

If you've got any othe questions. I'll be listening.

EDIT: You might consider sticking here, I have more "patience" than most arch users. Many using Arch would have expected you to find those on your own. You can expect some less then congenial remarks by a few. Although searching for those packages isn't particularly difficult, it can be confusing at first. Some can be less understanding. On the other hand, I'm more than willing to lend a hand.

J-P Simard wrote:

EDIT: You might consider sticking here, I have more "patience" than
most arch users. Many using Arch would have expected you to find
those on your own. You can expect some less then congenial remarks
by a few. Although searching for those packages isn't particularly
difficult, it can be confusing at first. Some can be less
understanding. On the other hand, I'm more than willing to lend a
hand.

More importantly I broke the forum rules. The thread is now closed but one user was very helpful by providing a link to a command that allows me to search for libs within packages.

How would I have gone about searching for those packages? The packages I did find were listed in "Packages" (go figure). But the others I couldn't find, even when I search google (i.e. libgphoto2 32). One of the things I need to learn is how to do things for myself. I've managed to do something for my self by reading the documentation, but other, finer, items I'll need to pick up from hitting walls like today. "pkgfile file_name" will serve me very well in feature I assume. From where I've been using Ubuntu and its derivatives for so long all I really know how to do is search Google and ask on forums.

As for PackmanXG, I don't actually use graphical package managers. dpkg -i and apt-get were what I used, and I've been using pacman from command-line. I find it easier. Find the name of a package on line then put it in command line.

Thank you for finding those for me, by the way. Even had I been enabled to find them for myself, I don't really have time to do so. I actually had other things planned for today; more critical things.

To search for main repos packages, that would be through pacman:

pacman -Ss some_parameter

If you want to search the AUR, you can go to aur.archlinux.org, and there's a useful little search box right there. I you want a tool, you can use yaourt:

yaourt -Ss some_parameter

The previous command will search both main repos and the AUR. Yaourt can also install with:

yaourt -S some_package

The previous command is useful as the AUR becomes as "automatic" as the main repos with plain pacman. Many prefer pacaur, but I haven't used it myself.

The wiki definitly has all the info above...

I'm still coming up sort for LibOSMesa.so.6. I've tried pacman -Ss l, yaourt -Ss, and pgkfile with caps, without caps and with/without the .so.6, but I can't find it. A Google search wasn't very helpful. I found one thread on the wine forum about this issue (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16633), and I tried to install the packages referenced by t1nk3r3r, but I can't get this particular lib.

Well, obiviously you searching is less than optimal.

If you do:

pacman -Ss lib32-osmesa

A reasonable name for a corresponding package, you get a reference to lib32-mesa. That is an implicit indication that lib32-mesa contain lib32-osmesa. You can confirm the information if you search for the package from Arch's website, and go to the actual page for the package.

So, in other words:

pacman -S lib32-mesa
Will do the trick nicely.

Forum posts from two years ago don't mean much for a fully rolling release distro. Google, being a search engine, finds all sorts of crap, usually old for a rolling distro. You best learn how to use Arch's site, and pacman. Besides, why use Google when Arch is fully equiped? You might have had to rely on google with your prior distros, but it has been my experience that Google is not the best tool for Arch. Arch's tools are the best tools for Arch.

I already have lib32-mesa installed. Its still good information, as I merely was trying to carpet bomb the problem (which has in the past resulted in all sorts of issues) . Also I didn't think that a two year old post would be an issue, though I can understand how for a distro that is intended to be bleeding edge it would be.

So, there is no point in including "lib" in a search then I assume?

I tried reinstalling, just in case, but its still not coming up.

I'm guessing that this is why when I try to launch Mass Effect I'm getting a "DirectX 9 not found" error even though it is (used the cross time and tried installing it manually).

Well, I have different directx games run on my system. I currently have only StarCraft II, and it runs just fine. So I don't believe I have any missing libraries for directx games.

Have you tried generating a debug log? If there are missing libraries on your system, it might be easier to find it with a log than just guessing.

Further, it is my understanding that Crossover has bettered it's directx implementation, to the point where some new bottles won't need directx installed directly. That being said, I do believe that nothing is perfect directx might still need to be installed. If the game complains about directx, are you sure it is installed?

Also, there is an "easy" way to figure out if anything crucial is missing. Try installing wine, and note any libraries that pacman wants to install along with it.

Lastly, I so used to using the bin file, I forget that Crossover has an AUR entry. If you go there, it list all the libraries needed. So either you install with the AUR, or just ensure your system has the librairies listed.

What I decided to do was trying to fix some other things. In the process I ended up fixing my problems with CrossOver, or at least some of them. My sound is still a bit weird, but I can take care of that at a later time.

Thank you again for your assistance.

By the way, the problem seems to have been fairly strait forward. I didn't have the nVidia drivers installed! I'm not sure how I could ahve overlooked something so simple. I am now getting errors like "missing 'mesa-libgl' dependency for 'nouveau-dri'" whenever I run yaourt or pacman but I think i can live with that. I can can't I?

It was my pleasure to assist you.

If things work, yes you can live with an error message. What I think is going on is that some nouveau driver files might still be present on your system somehow, or some residue in xorg still expects nouveau. Again, the wiki would probably be of help here, as there is a specific section for switching between nouveau and the proprietary drivers. The section even gives out two scripts to ease the transfer. You might be able to extrapolate what you need from those scripts if not using them directly.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else.

Unforutunately what else I need help with doesn't fit into something related to CrossOever. At least not at the moment. Also, I do know that there is residue left as I used -Rdd which should have left a bunch of stuff (the wiki said to use it, so I did). My stem doesn't seem to be using the open source drivers, so I'm not worried.

In anycase, I don't have a lot of time left. I've spent more than four days working on my computer as opposed to the expected one. I'm not sure how I'm going to get everything that I need to complete finished before break is over at this point.

I do have one other issue over at the AntergOS forums: http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1518. Being that I'm running out of time, I've done very little homework on this since I am, as I've said, running out of time, so I expect some ugly responses.

Well, there's definitly something funny going on.

If you root partition is 18.14 G (the first column), adding together the next column should make close to 18,14(not taking inodes into account), but it doesn't. From the visible numbers on the image you have posted, I get 10,43G from the first column. Like there is some 8 G missing. Logically, what few small lines that I don't see the numbers on should not even be close to 8G, maybe 1G at most. They should not be close to 8G, because they are proportionnally smaller in the graphic and your biggest folder is /usr at 5.7G.

So from my calculations, I see about 7G missing. Are you sure you have erased Ubuntu? 7G seems like a reasonable Ubuntu install to me. Could you have some hidden files or partition?

Other than that I really don't get it. In the years using Arch, I have never seen anything that peculiar about disk usage. In fact, Arch has been the leanest distro for me on all fronts. So either you did something funky or the Antergos installer is doing something funky. I couldn't figure out why just from the disk usage.

You adventures have confirmed something for me. Don't mention Arch derivatives. I have no idea what is going on, making things a lot harder because I don't know who did what.

You might want to reread that thread. I updated it. it was a silly mistake, easy to fix. I'd rather not say what it was again though since it was really stupid.

Yeah, but there's still somethin' funny. Adding up the second column should equal more or less the first, like on my system.

But if you're satisfied, who am I to complain...

This is off topic a bit, but I just want to say I'm loving the Arch command line programs.

pacman -Qs, pacman -Ss, as well as pkgfile are amazing commands! Not to mention yaourt and the AUR in general.

I'm not surprised at all. This is a very common comment, particularly concerning pacman, which is a great package manager. Even with Arch being a bleeding edge rolling release, pacman is certainly THE most distinctive feature. To this day, I would have trouble going back to other package managers.

Wait until you try packaging something. DEB and RPM are nightmares compared to Arch packages.

1 to 16 of 16

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS3V4ZXJGd3FmdWJ1VEtGayIsImdkcHIiOjB9