CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover app icons in dock

Hi guys. I'm using Crossover on elementary OS Freya and, as you may know, this OS uses a dock instead of a traditional taskbar like other distros. I have an icon theme applied, and my question is this: are the Windows apps icons "themeable" as well? I mean, take a look at the screenshot, all the native Linux apps are in circles (it's the Numix circle theme), except the Trillian icon - that's the Windows app.

That's a difficult question. There are certainly no prepared icons for that, so you'll have to draw your own. I guess you can 'install' it by modifying the theme itself, or replacing the icon CrossOver created. I think the icons are in ~/.local/share/icons. To find the right file, search for the Trillian application link in ~/.local/share/applications/ . (Those directories may be outdated though. They change sometimes, and CrossOver may create different ones based on your desktop environment and distro)

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

That's a difficult question. There are certainly no prepared icons
for that, so you'll have to draw your own.

I don't think I explained good enough so I'll try again: I know that the icon theme pack won't have the Windows apps icons, BUT what I do know is that some theme packs (like the one I'm using), even if it doesn't have an icon for some app, it "wraps" it into a circle (in my case), to at least keep all the incons looking the same. So I wouldn't need to have a specific icon for Trillian (in my example), the icon pack would wrap it in a circle, like the rest of the dock icons, and all of them would look the same - that's what I'm looking for :)

P.S. And while we're on the subject, why do those Windows icons look so ugly in the dock? I mean, they're blurry, some times jagged, like they're at a very low resolution. Obviously, in Windows they look just fine, even if you "zoom" in.

Alex wrote:

I don't think I explained good enough so I'll try again: I know that
the icon theme pack won't have the Windows apps icons, BUT what I do
know is that some theme packs (like the one I'm using), even if it
doesn't have an icon for some app, it "wraps" it into a circle (in
my case), to at least keep all the incons looking the same. So I
wouldn't need to have a specific icon for Trillian (in my example),
the icon pack would wrap it in a circle, like the rest of the dock
icons, and all of them would look the same - that's what I'm looking
for :)

Hmm, in that case what I said doesn't apply. I thought themes have to ship replacement icons. Did you contact the theme's developers regarding this issue? Maybe they can give us some hints how they find third-party icons and why the theme doesn't pick up the ones created by CrossOver.

Alex wrote:

P.S. And while we're on the subject, why do those Windows icons look
so ugly in the dock? I mean, they're blurry, some times jagged, like
they're at a very low resolution. Obviously, in Windows they look
just fine, even if you "zoom" in.

I guess CrossOver extracts the wrong resolution or only the low resolution icon. Or your desktop system picks the wrong one. It is also possible that the Windows app only ships a low res icon, but since they work in Windows I guess we can rule out this possibility.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoielNBM2h3aDkyOVdKUEhkTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9