CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

apps no longer launch

Sorry for the duplication -- I think I put the first post in the wrong place.

I have been using 10.2.0 since it was new and it's been fine until recently when most applications stopped launching. In particular, Microsoft Excel, Minitab 12, and EditPad Pro are the three apps I use most often and none launch, either when I double click on a file belonging to them, select them from the right-click menu, or try to launch the program from the OS menu. All these methods used to work.

Irfan View does still run so Crossover cannot be completely tanked. IV is in its own bottle. When I try to scan the bottles to see waht is in them I can get a list for the IV bottle but not the other two -- the scanning just seems to go on forever.

So, I should ask, what changed with the system? OS upgrade, CX upgrade, nothing and it just stopped working?

It is Debian Stable with KDE aka Kwheezy and I install all the updates they suggest. I wondered if one of those might ahve gotten into a fight with Crossover which is why I posted here thinking someone else might have had the same problem. No changes in hardware unless you count plugging and unplugging external drives. Just checked and the bottle manager is still trying to scan the second and third bottles after trying for hours now.

Could you grab a newer version of CrossoOver and check if that one works?

I guess I could do that as a last resort. Since the Windows software I run is very old I am concerned that a new version of Crossover would be compatible with my OS but not my applications. Since the version of Crossover I have has run fine with those applications for years I would be more inclined to reinstall it, or to try it on another distro, or to install WINE if I'm just grasping at straws. I just posted here in case anyone knew what the exact problem is. For example, I have made many symbolic links over the years because software looks for a specific version of a library. It will run with a newer version if you link to it.

There was an issue not too long ago regarding a kernel security fix that stopped wine from being able to run 16bit applications or create win9x bottles. Maybe that got backported to debian too.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/11/542

CrossOver 13.2 has code that identifies and points out the issue. It can't fix it since it's something that's broken in the kernel.

Aha! I don't know if that is the culprit but that is the sort of info I was hoping for. Supporting evidence for your hypothesis -- the broken bottles are both Win98 while the functioning bottle is XP. So I guess I need to uninstall the Win98 bottles and their contents (which I can't even read now) and reinstall in a Win2k or XP bottle? I do have one Win95 application but I think it is 32-bit. I would not knowingly install anything 16 bit in Crossover because I use DOSBox for those. (I run Win3.1 in DOSBox.) Later: Crossover is unable to delete the bad bottles;-( It just spins its wheels indefinitely (well, for hours) like when I try to see what is in one of the bottles.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR2VZNFV0NThUWHhZZ3h0VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9