CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Neverwinter Online locks up my computer after 15 minutes

I've installed the ARC launcher in an XP bottle. It works fine, and I can play Neverwinter fine. Until suddenly my video completely locks up and becomes unresponsive. I end up having to power down my pc and reboot. I can still hear sounds (but very choppy), so I can tell networking and keyboard are still responding, because Neverwinter plays sounds in response to my opening menus. I just can't see any changes on screen, and I can't get control back to any other window. Even when I have the System Monitor showing on another screen, it freezes too. I can't notice any similarity in what eventually triggers the lockup. I can be sitting there doing nothing on my own, and it still eventually freezes. I've turned down/off as many audio/video settings in Neverwinter as I can find.

In contrast, I can play RIFT (in a separate XP bottle) just fine. It occasionally crashes when I'm exiting the game, but at least it's a proper crash and doesn't lock up my computer.

I'm tech-savvy but new to Linux. I can collect information for you if you can tell me where to look. If it matters, my home partition is encrypted, but my Crossover bottles are running from a /virt folder which is on a normal ext4 partition. I'm running Linux Mint 17.1, and I have the latest Nvidia 331.113-0ubuntu0.0.4 driver for my GeForce GTX 780 video card.

If your computer crashes and requires a reboot it is by definition a bug in the Linux kernel or (more likely) one of the drivers. The system must not allow CrossOver to crash your computer.

That said, bad things happen and we try to avoid them when possible. One thing you should look into is updating your graphics driver. The nvidia 331 driver is a few months old by now, the current driver is 346.35 (although this may be a beta driver, I am not sure).

If you have another computer you can try to ssh into your game machine. Very often just the graphics output and X server hangs, and the system itself is fine. With ssh you can collect some log data from dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

346.35 is stable. New "long-lived" branch:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Chances are that the computer is not actually locked but that X pooped its pants and locked up (wayland and Mir can't come soon enough). A good indication of this is when it refuses to respond to keyboard and mouse input. Even pressing the Num Lock key on your keyboard does not have any effect. You can still try to recover by ssh-ing into your machine from another PC or smarthphone/ lpatop with an ssh client.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTnpyUjRtY1ZjOGRRVkdjUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9