CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Anyone have G-Sync working?

I can't seem to find much about nVidia G-Sync support in Linux or CrossOver/Wine. I only really play one game, which is officially supported by CodeWeavers (thanks), but it doesn't seem to use my rig's hardware for gsync, which I know works well in Win7.

On a test installation I have 32bit ubuntu 16.04 which has a 4.3 kernel and OpenGL 4.5. I've installed gpu driver 358.16. My game (iRacing) installs and runs, but I don't see the G-SYNC 'visual indicator' and I do see frame rates in excess of the monitor's max 144 fps, which I never see in win7 with gsync on.

I'm convinced the technology can do marvels for gaming on Linux. "G-SYNC is a new hardware technology that allows a monitor to have a variable refresh rate. In short, it is a monitor hardware technology that simultaneously eliminates tearing, reduces input lag, and eliminate stutters." from Blurbusters gsync preview

So, if anyone here has gsync definitely working on any codeweavers game - please let me know and I'll eagerly try it.

If anyone knows why it isn't going to work through wine/codeweavers magic, I'd like to know about that too.

We've haven't tested or programmed for gsync support. There's a reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/304aaf/anyone_has_experience_with_gsync_on_linux/ discussing it that has some feedback on gsync on Linux.

Thanks for replying Andrew. The link in your post helped. From there I found that Metro 2033 Redux is said to work well with G-Sync on Linux.

I had to install the 64 bit ubuntu 16.04 as I had installed the 32 bit version for good Crossover compatibility. So I now have both, but I'm still not convinced it's working for me. Perhaps I have a MS Windows only G-Sync monitor lol.

The game was only £14.99 and it's useful for this kind of comparison because both Windows and Linux builds are available (through Steam). What convinces me, it isn't working right (for me) on Linux, is quite obvious in one scene in particular. After Ayrton's first battle on the surface, the camera scrolls quite slowly across his collection of old postcards. The scene judders across the screen showing exactly the kind of effect G-Sync eliminates, on Linux, but it's perfectly rendered on Win7. The G-Sync indicator is shown, but I don't believe it.

Edited to add, after trying a different driver (355.11) it seemed much better. What I saw may have been down to slow loading of the next part. Back to 358.16 and all's well.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZGVOS2J0bnFRUllVa0F3YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9